Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Walmart to Discount iPhone 5 By $60 Beginning Saturday

On Saturday, Walmart will begin offering the iPhone 5 at a $60 discount (from $189 to $129) and the iPhone 4S at a $50 discount (from $89 to $39), reports Mashable. The prices are permanent, available only in-store and require signing a new 2-year contract with Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T.
Quote:
We asked Walmart if the new pricing is temporary and were told that no, this is in fact the permanent price of the items. The new price is only available in Walmart stores and is not available online.

The price drop is also notable because Apple has historically limited the degree to which retailers can drop prices on its products. Although some retailers such as Walmart routinely discount items by $10, cutting the price by more than 30% (in the case of the iPhone 5) and nearly 70% (in the case of the iPhone 4S) is unprecedented.
While it is not unusual to see seasonal sales at Walmart, it is odd to see a drastic, permanent price cuts on one of Apple's devices. iPhone pricing, however, has grown increasingly competitive in recent months, which has led to significant price drops at multiple retailers. Best Buy, for example, dropped the iPhone 5 price by $50 in May and recently reintroduced a successful trade-in program to allow iPhone 4/4S users to upgrade to the iPhone 5 at no cost.

It is likely that stores are also aiming to get rid of existing inventory before the introduction of the iPhone 5S, which is expected to be announced in the fall. In recent weeks, news of Apple's upcoming refreshed iPhone has been picking up, and this morning, photos of the device itself surfaced. The iPhone 5S is expected to come equipped with an improved camera, a dual LED rear flash, and a fingerprint sensor.

Walmart's discounted iPhone pricing is set to begin this Saturday, on June 22 and will last indefinitely.

Article Link: Walmart to Discount iPhone 5 By $60 Beginning Saturday
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

ie. This is a new price that will be introduced in all stores around the same time.

So it begins.

Last edited by lolkthxbai; Jun 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: misspelling
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

It is likely that stores are also aiming to get rid of existing inventory before the introduction of the iPhone 5S, which is expected to be announced in the fall.
How much stock does Wal-Mart keep if the current inventory level would have an effect on the inventory months from now?

Today is June 21st. Let's say we won't see the iPhone 5S until August 21st.

Are you telling me that Wal-Mart has 2 months of inventory in their possession?

I can't imagine any retail store holding that much inventory... especially $650 iPhones. I would guess Wal-Mart orders iPhones fairly frequently instead of placing giant orders.

Thoughts? Does anyone here work at Wal-Mart or have information about their cell phone inventory?
Michael Scrip is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

This would be a great opportunity for me to use one of the available upgrades on my family plan to sell it on eBay but I think I'll wait for the 5S since I'll be able to get a lot more.
Jamesesesesess is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
photographypro
macrumors regular

This is $70 off!

This is $70 off Apple's price, $60 off their former price.

Fry's also sells all memory sizes of the iPhone 5 for $60 off Apple's price.

Looks like Walmart only sells the 16GB version according to their website.

And Sprint will give you $100 off ANY model and free activation ($36) if you bring your number over from another carrier through July 18th.

Choices, choices!
photographypro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:53 AM   #6
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Nice prices!!
Dominicanyor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Wish the prices were better here in Australia.

At a leading phone company the min cost is $264 ($11pm on 24 month contract) plus the contract at $60pm so thats $1704 over 2 years for a 16Gb iPhone5.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:25 AM   #8
praterkeith
macrumors regular

I need T-Mobile to do this so that it'll make it easier for me to drop this crappy Sprint network!
praterkeith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:04 AM   #9
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Seems a little early to be clearing stocks to get ready for the next iPhone, whatever it will be named. That's probably three months away.

But it's a great price!
ValSalva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:45 AM   #10
clickerman
macrumors newbie

Walmart is not clearing stock. Apple is trying to goose sales until their new products come out later this year.
clickerman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickerman View Post
walmart is not clearing stock. Apple is trying to goose sales until their new products come out later this year.
+1
kobyh15 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:31 AM   #12
sik08amg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickerman View Post
Walmart is not clearing stock. Apple is trying to goose sales until their new products come out later this year.
Agreed, Walmart doesn't keep a large stock on iPhones, not in store at least. I would say apple is behind this.
sik08amg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:47 AM   #13
scbn
macrumors regular

This is not isolated to Wal-Mart. Best Buy is also putting iPhones on sales. This probably means Apple is pushing out the inventory of iPhone 5 by giving some kinds of discounts to the retailers.

Looking forward to an event in July for the new iPhones.
scbn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Ivabign
macrumors 6502

Another interesting Walmart wrinkle is that unlike most resellers, they do not charge sales tax on the subsidized portion of the phone. They will only charge tax on the $129.00. At least in California.
Ivabign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:38 AM   #15
macduke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbn View Post
Looking forward to an event in July for the new iPhones.
I'm actually writing this for the second time as my iPhone 5 crashed when I was about to send it.

Long story short: iOS 7 is far from release, buggiest beta I've ever used, and to think that the new iPhone will be released next month is insanity. Apple always releases a new iPhone with new iOS software. They said autumn, they mean autumn. At this point even late September might be pushing it. I wouldn't rule out October based on my experience with iOS 7 thus far.

Trust me guys who haven't used iOS 7—you do not want them to release this to you next month on an iPhone 5S. You will do nothing but rage and complain if you use this software. It is not ready. It will not be ready soon. Yesterday was the first day of summer. Come back in three months.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:21 AM   #16
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Wow. Steve fought long and hard to make Apple stores perfect, to display his creations in a way that sets them apart.

Now they are in Walmart bargain bin. WTF??
iChrist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Schmitty11
Banned

So got my iPhone 5 for free. So yeah.
Schmitty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographypro View Post
Looks like Walmart only sells the 16GB version according to their website.
This is definitely the case. Wal Mart only carries the 16gb model.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:12 PM   #19
hsotnicam8002
macrumors 6502

And this has to do with the ios blog, how?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:10 PM   #20
RUGERMAN
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty11 View Post
So got my iPhone 5 for free. So yeah.
I traded in my 3gs to ATT for $100 - act fee of $36 and up graded to a 4 and got paid $64 to do it.
RUGERMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:11 PM   #21
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

thanks but no thanks, i'll wait for the iphone 5s, but i'd say that this is a great move by apple, this would further affect the s4's dying sales.
blitzer09x87 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:25 PM   #22
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Well it looks like Apple's run of high priced, fat margined products is waning. Good news all around.

Sooner or later people wake up to the fact that although Apple makes good products, perhaps they're not "Magical & Revolutionary" after all.

As the "Steve Jobs Effect" wears off, reality sets in.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Wow. Steve fought long and hard to make Apple stores perfect, to display his creations in a way that sets them apart.

Steve Jobs is the one who approached WalMart to place his products with this mass market low end retailer. He knew sooner or later there was no avoiding it.
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:50 PM   #23
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Well I'm all for more appropriately priced apple products. Now if they could extend this rationale to the Mac line we're really talking.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:00 PM   #24
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post

Wal Mary has been selling apple products for almost a decade
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:20 PM   #25
Silver Pegasus
macrumors member

Although Walmart won't stock anywhere near levels that would last 2 months, they are likely to have a stock commitment with Apple.

Say the rumours for 2 new phones Flagship and a cheaper version are true then the iPhone 4S and 5 will be discontinued. Everyone including Apple themselves will be wanting rid of what they are committed to with manufacturers, part suppliers etc. This has been less of a problem in the past but this launch it will be different.
Silver Pegasus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion