Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
So my mom is going on another cross country trip and she always ask me about communication between the bikes. Instead of these $600 sets made for bike use isn't there something that could just use Bluetooth and a headset with a walky talky app??

Any recommendations??

Thanks!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
An app doesn't seem like a practical solution. Consider what happens when you don't have data coverage. It happens even along major interstates. I was on a road trip and there was a Verizon data outage along a considerable portion of I75 in Kentucky. FRS radios were meant for this sort of use.

Last edited:

User24

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
Sena headsets, such as SMH10. They operate over bluetooth, and have 4-way intercom up to 900 meters. It does not need a phone for the intercom feature, but will pair to a phone to get music, gps voice instructions, and incoming calls if you so desire.

Page 9 of the smh10 pdf users guide provides instructions to pair headsets directly to one another.

If you end up with an SMH10, be sure to plug in the connector hard, there is not a positive click you just have to watch it slip in. Not fully inserted it will come loose at windspeed.

The detachable mic is useful when you are riding alone and don't want the bulk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.