Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

WHO Report Says One Third Of Women Have Suffered Abuse

Over the past few days the WHO published a report which stated that one third of women worldwide have suffered abuse, many at the hands of a partner, or ex-partner, or someone known to them.

I confess that I am somewhat surprised that this topic has not featured at all, either as a thread, or in passing, or, a something worth mentioning, given the plethora of other compelling topics which regularly surface on these fora.

A piece from the Associated Press will give a flavour of the contents, but it was covered by the BBC, and other reputable outlets over the past few days.

"LONDON (AP) — About a third of women worldwide have been physically or sexually assaulted by a former or current partner, according to the first major review of violence against women.

In a series of papers released on Thursday by the World Health Organization and others, experts estimated nearly 40 percent of women killed worldwide were slain by an intimate partner and that being assaulted by a partner was the most common kind of violence experienced by women.

“Violence against women is a global health problem of epidemic proportions,” WHO Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan said in a statement.

WHO defined physical violence as being slapped, pushed, punched, choked or being attacked with a weapon. Sexual violence was defined as being physically forced to have sex, having sex because you were afraid of what your partner might do and being compelled to do something sexual that was humiliating or degrading.

The report also examined rates of sexual violence against women by someone other than a partner and found about 7 percent of women worldwide had previously been a victim.

In conjunction with the report, WHO issued guidelines for authorities to spot problems earlier and said all health workers should be trained to recognize when women may be at risk and how to respond appropriately.

Globally, the WHO review found 30 percent of women are affected by domestic or sexual violence by a partner. The report was based largely on studies from 1983 to 2010. According to the United Nations, more than 600 million women live in countries where domestic violence is not considered a crime.

The rate of domestic violence against women was highest in Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia, where 37 percent of women experienced physical or sexual violence from a partner at some point in their lifetime. The rate was 30 percent in Latin and South America and 23 percent in North America. In Europe and Asia, it was 25 percent.

Some experts said screening for domestic violence should be added to all levels of health care, such as obstetric clinics.

“It’s unlikely that someone would walk into an ER and disclose they’ve been assaulted,” said Sheila Sprague of McMaster University in Canada, who has researched domestic violence in women at orthopedic clinics. She was not connected to the WHO report.

“Over time, if women are coming into a fracture clinic or a pre-natal clinic, they may tell you they are suffering abuse if you ask,” she said.

For domestic violence figures, scientists analyzed information from 86 countries focusing on women over the age of 15. They also assessed studies from 56 countries on sexual violence by someone other than a partner, though they had no data from the Middle East. WHO experts then used modeling techniques to fill in the gaps and to come up with global estimates for the percentage of women who are victims of violence.

In a related paper published online in the journal Lancet, researchers found more than 38 percent of slain women are killed by a former or current partner, six times higher than the rate of men killed by their partners. Heidi Stoeckl, one of the authors at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said the figures were likely to be an underestimate. She and colleagues found that globally, a woman’s highest risk of murder was from a current or ex-partner.

Stoeckl said criminal justice authorities should intervene at an earlier stage.

“When a woman is killed by a partner, she has often already had contact with the police,” she said.

Stoeckl said more protective measures should be in place for women from their partners, particularly when he or she has a history of violence and owns a gun.

“There are enough signs that we should be watching out for that,” she said. “We certainly should know if someone is potentially lethal and be able to do something about it.”
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
the8thark
macrumors 68030

And domestic abuse against men exists too. But it is always conveniently forgotten. Domestic abuse is done by men and women and it happens to men and women. Maybe it's a little more to women but that should not be the focus. The focus should be how to eradicate it entirely.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:02 PM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And domestic abuse against men exists too. But it is always conveniently forgotten. Domestic abuse is done by men and women and it happens to men and women. Maybe it's a little more to women but that should not be the focus. The focus should be how to eradicate it entirely.
1 out of 3 is just a "little more"?

This response hints at one reason this problem has persisted for centuries: men's denial.
citizenzen is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
1 out of 3 is just a "little more"?

This response hints at one reason this problem has persisted for centuries: men's denial.
No. My reply here is about equality. Men should be treated equally to women. And not one sex blame the other always. This issue like many others is only solved when both men and women work together in finding a solution.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No. My reply here is about equality. Men should be treated equally to women. And not one sex blame the other always. This issue like many others is only solved when both men and women work together in finding a solution.
And the problem is 1 out of 3 women suffer from abuse.

I agree that we need to find a solution.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Brianstorm91
macrumors 65816

These are the kind of stats that warrant more publicity, like the number of people who are victims of non-physical bullying.
Brianstorm91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
steve knight
macrumors 65816

I think it is 1 in 6 in the us. well that's sexual abuse. Education and woman seen as people with the same rights as men will fix it. Religion is a woman's worst enemy. I think think there is any religion that gives a woman full human rights.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Jun 22, 2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate quoted text
steve knight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:15 PM   #8
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
Religion is a woman's worst enemy. I think think there is any religion that gives a woman full human rights.
Wicca?

The Goddess movement article has a See also list.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:17 PM   #9
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Wicca?

The Goddess movement article has a See also list.
Ok major religions if you want to get nitpicking. Almost every religion treats woman as lesser creatures.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:34 PM   #10
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

People don't want to admit it but circumcision against infant males started as a punitive measure against male sexuality. It was also performed on girls too with acids, but that has almost entirely been abandoned and is illegal in the US. It's interesting how there are harms that can't be seen through certain cultural lenses. That the procedure was harmful and painful to the sexual organs was considered good! It's interesting now that medical practitioners say there is no evidence it causes loss of sexual function and minimize the amount of pain it causes, but at the time it was being adopted by the medical profession those were the very reasons they gave for its usefulness (curbing "self abuse" and the pain having an effect on the mind that would reduce sexuality).

It raises the question of whether a person who has been harmed and doesn't believe to have been harmed due to cultural beliefs has really been harmed. Where does an objective code of what is violent or not come from? Of course, there are people who live in a culture and are harmed by culturally normal events and still can feel the harm. And there are cultures like ours in the US where it seems like there is less homogenous agreement than in others.

I certainly know what I feel and believe. And I certainly believe in every person's right to autonomy. But then I realize we can be blind to our own ways of harming people because of what is culturally normal.

I thought the same thing about Paula Deen. I'm not saying we should have a debate about veganism, but if you were somehow an alien with no cultural reference, no human narrative, it would be interesting to see how whatever racial malfeasance she committed (I'm still not sure what it was) compares to the number of animals she's killed because of her career.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand, I understand this report is talking about grave reports of violence toward women. But there is a way—a lens—in which what is done to people, especially children in this country, could be viewed with more solemness. Compare the type of music and graphics played on a dateline report about domestic violence versus Dr. Oz making jokes about circumcision with a puppet sock, or how every article about in the US includes a picture of a banana with part of the skin cut off.
swingerofbirch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:19 PM   #11
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Ok major religions if you want to get nitpicking. Almost every religion treats woman as lesser creatures.
You're painting with a very broad brush. Several mainline Protestant churches, such as the Presbyterian and Methodist denominations, ordain female ministers, allow women to hold church offices, and in-general treat women as equals to men.

Last edited by localoid; Jun 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
steve knight
macrumors 65816

only very recently. but overall Christianity puts woman lower then men. Catholics don't accept woman, baptists for the most part nope. No fundamentalist would respect a woman. we see a few churches accept woman as equals but I think when they do that the church splinters. It is starting a few woman overall have a little power but I doubt it is more then 1% in the us.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:05 PM   #13
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
You're painting with a very broad bush.
Hey now!
smithrh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
The thread was posted to discuss domestic abuse against women. I don't deny that abuse against men occurs, too, but the point of the thread was to draw attention to a staggering and profoundly disturbing statistic whereby one third - at least - of one half of the population suffer violence on a regular basis.

Actually, I find it rather telling that the first post to respond highlighted domestic abuse against men; this is akin to Hollywood making movies such as 'Fatal Attraction', or 'Play Misty For Me', or 'Misery', highlighting the fact that deranged women exist who behave like insane predators, but completely missing the point, which is that in the vast majority of stalking cases, or harassment cases, or cases where individuals are locked up in cellars for months, or years, women are the victims not the perpetrators.

Frankly, domestic abuse does not happen to the sexes equally; more women get assaulted. And when such assault occurs, the consequences, physical and otherwise, for women tend to be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
People don't want to admit it but circumcision against infant males started as a punitive measure against male sexuality. It was also performed on girls too with acids, but that has almost entirely been abandoned and is illegal in the US. ............
Sorry, again, the thread is about violence against women, not the deprivation of rights that male circumcision actually is. Now, if you had discussed female circumcision, as widely practised - still - to this day across vast swathes of Africa - (and not, granted, the US) I would have agreed with you.

Re the a number of points made elsewhere in the thread, I think it is beyond doubt that organised religion has had a disproportionate influence in promoting the subjugation of women; oppression dressed up as divine opinion is especially seductive to religious leaders, and I never cease to be amazed at the thought, space (in texts deemed sacred), energy, effort, and sheer vitriolic passion many of the world's leading religions put into defining, describing and enforcing the subordinate position of women, not to mention their endless attempt to control female sexuality and limit female reproductive choices.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:24 PM   #15
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Hey now!
For the record I'm claiming a typo vs. a Freudian slip...
Old Jun 23, 2013, 03:18 AM   #16
mgguy
macrumors 6502

Slapping is counted as a violent act in the study. I wonder how many men that have been slapped by their female partner reported it so it could be counted in the study. My guess is that this type of violent act is greatly underreported. It certainly seems more acceptable culturally for a woman to slap a man (or for a man to slap a man) than for a man to slap a woman.
mgguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:10 AM   #17
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

And so it should be.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:08 AM   #18
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
only very recently. but overall Christianity puts woman lower then men. Catholics don't accept woman, baptists for the most part nope. No fundamentalist would respect a woman. we see a few churches accept woman as equals but I think when they do that the church splinters. It is starting a few woman overall have a little power but I doubt it is more then 1% in the us.
Very interested to know what you base this idea of yours on.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:09 AM   #19
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
And the problem is 1 out of 3 women suffer from abuse.

I agree that we need to find a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
The thread was posted to discuss domestic abuse against women. I don't deny that abuse against men occurs, too, but the point of the thread was to draw attention to a staggering and profoundly disturbing statistic whereby one third - at least - of one half of the population suffer violence on a regular basis.

Actually, I find it rather telling that the first post to respond highlighted domestic abuse against men; this is akin to Hollywood making movies such as 'Fatal Attraction', or 'Play Misty For Me', or 'Misery', highlighting the fact that deranged women exist who behave like insane predators, but completely missing the point, which is that in the vast majority of stalking cases, or harassment cases, or cases where individuals are locked up in cellars for months, or years, women are the victims not the perpetrators.

Frankly, domestic abuse does not happen to the sexes equally; more women get assaulted. And when such assault occurs, the consequences, physical and otherwise, for women tend to be worse.
Both of you make very good points. But remove the sexism please. If we all help to eradicate domestic violence in it's entirety, then the cases of it against everyone (both men and women) will drop.

I don't care if men or women get assaulted more. Does not matter. What really matters is making sure it happens less to everyone. Fix the issue first. And squabble over which sex is victimised more later. In an ideal world stuff like this would not exist. People would treat everyone equally.

Equality between the sexes? Is that such a hard concept to understand? We are all human beings. I was just pointing out in my first comment here that everyone, and not just women feel this issue.

Well you both can feel about this how you do. I can't change that. I will stick to my belief in equality for everyone and my belief that helping everyone in this issue is the best way. (This includes getting some country's laws changed so both sexes can be charged for rape vs anyone else.)
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Over the past few days the WHO published a report which stated that one third of women worldwide have suffered abuse, many at the hands of a partner, or ex-partner, or someone known to them.

I confess that I am somewhat surprised that this topic has not featured at all, either as a thread, or in passing, or, a something worth mentioning, given the plethora of other compelling topics which regularly surface on these fora.

A piece from the Associated Press will give a flavour of the contents, but it was covered by the BBC, and other reputable outlets over the past few days.
This is a terrible problem which will not seem to go away. The numbers are truly shocking when you think that we here in Europe, like to think of ourselves as the First World and therefore superior.
I cannot talk about other parts of the world but here in Europe, it effects every strata of society. I remember when the first women's safe house opened 1974, we thought back then that with in a few years we would have this problem solved. But since then we have come to understand that this was very wishful thinking. While changes to the law and attitudes have changed, there does seem to be a stubborn streak malignant violence in some members of society. One thing that has become very clear over the past few years, is that children brought up in abusive households are more likely to be abused or be the abuser.

This is going to be a long hard road, but we owe it to our children to get abuse out of the home, and work place and society in general. Basic human rights have to be taught at a very early age, to all members of society. The education system both religious and secular can also help by showing women in a more positive light. Women have been by and large painted out of the history books since the dawn of time. This takes away a feeling of self worth, role models really do matter.

I'm the proud father of two daughters and I do remember teaching them from a very early age not to except any crap from anyone. Don't get mad get EVEN, and use the full weight of the law if required. I am very happy to report that both daughters are in long term relationships, and are now teaching their own children the same message.

I have been married three times and I have never ever raised my hand against either my wives or my children, or for that matter any other woman or child. I consider myself better than that.

Here in the Netherlands we have a TV spot.

Which says if you know about abuse, and don't report it you are a MAJOR part of the problem.

Abuse never stops without intervention.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:00 PM   #21
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgguy View Post
Slapping is counted as a violent act in the study. I wonder how many men that have been slapped by their female partner reported it so it could be counted in the study. My guess is that this type of violent act is greatly underreported. It certainly seems more acceptable culturally for a woman to slap a man (or for a man to slap a man) than for a man to slap a woman.
I've never, ever been slapped by a woman. Is this a common occurrence?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Are you kidding?

http://members.shaw.ca/tfrisen/Bbl/Sexism/Sexism.html

1 Corinthians 11:7 - 9*
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

Colossians 3:18 *
18. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1 -3
1. Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2 While they behold your chaste conversation [coupled] with fear.
3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Job 25:4 *
4 How then can man be justified with God? or , how can he be clean [that is] born of a woman?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:18 PM   #22
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
The Bible? Have you not ever read it?

----------

Quote:
Equality between the sexes? Is that such a hard concept to understand?
No, of course equality is important.

Quote:
not just women feel this issue.
True, but I think it is safe to say that it primarily affects women.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:59 PM   #23
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
I've never, ever been slapped by a woman. Is this a common occurrence?

----------

Are you kidding?

http://members.shaw.ca/tfrisen/Bbl/Sexism/Sexism.html

1 Corinthians 11:7 - 9*
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

Colossians 3:18 *
18. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1 -3
1. Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2 While they behold your chaste conversation [coupled] with fear.
3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Job 25:4 *
4 How then can man be justified with God? or , how can he be clean [that is] born of a woman?
Wow...a website that is trying to make their name on the back of sexism only pulling part of the story in order to enhance their point. Whowouldathunkit?

I'll finish your passages for you...

1 Corinthians 11:10-12
10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

Colossians 3:19
19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

1 Peter 3:7-8
7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. 8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.

Is the line from Job in there by mistake? Because it doesn't really fit with the point you (they) were trying to make.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 01:40 PM   #24
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
1 Corinthians 11:10-12
10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.
I'm not really clear how this in any way refutes his argument that the passage is sexist.

Quote:
Colossians 3:19
19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.
I'm not really clear how this implies men and women are weaker.

Quote:
1 Peter 3:7-8
7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. 8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
Good work in finding another sexist passage in the Bible.

Last edited by Eraserhead; Jun 23, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Striking point I don't understand.
Eraserhead is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:19 PM   #25
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Good work in finding another sexist passage in the Bible.
Oh geez. I hesitated even including a response to that because that word was there, but figured someone having a problem with it would actually look into what many feel Peter was talking about there. The point he was trying to make was not so much that women are categorically weaker physically or mentally than men, but that they are to be treated like you would something fragile. Basically a road map for how to treat women.....with love and care. Especially so when said woman is your wife.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues