Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabberkooij

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Netherlands
Hi i want to buy a mac (macbook air/pro) and I'm wondering which systems will run a ipad emulator properly.
Compilation will be done on my Windows machine (Delphi XE4) and the mac should be capable of running the emulator for debugging.

Is the new Air fast enough? Or do I need a retina screen for the emulator?
And if I connect to a external screen (1920x1200) is the resolution high enough?

Going for a iPro 15" is very tempting but I do not want to wait for september/october for a Haswell release.

Anyone experience with the emulator on the Air?

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hi i want to buy a mac (macbook air/pro) and I'm wondering which systems will run a ipad emulator properly.
Compilation will be done on my Windows machine (Delphi XE4) and the mac should be capable of running the emulator for debugging.

Is the new Air fast enough? Or do I need a retina screen for the emulator?
And if I connect to a external screen (1920x1200) is the resolution high enough?

Going for a iPro 15" is very tempting but I do not want to wait for september/october for a Haswell release.

Anyone experience with the emulator on the Air?

The newly announced air is plenty fast enough. The previous generation of air is plenty fast enough.

For just running the simulator, a Core 2 duo is fast enough. (The very first Core 2 duo machines can't run 10.8, but all others can. Not sure about the upcoming 10.9 however.)

For using Xcode, you really want an i5 or i7 machine for best performance. A Core 2 Duo machine works, but it's painful.

Whatever Mac you use, you want plenty of memory (8 GB, more is better)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You can't compile an iOS app using anything other than Xcode, which is only available for OS X

gabberkooij

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Netherlands
You can't compile an iOS app using anything other than Xcode, which is only available for OS X

That is the nice part of it. In the background delphi code is compiled to xcode. I ve not tried it yet but there are several examples on tthr embarcadero website.
Delphi can also compile to osx and use native bindings

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
The simulator can scale. The smallest screen I've used a 13" Mac Book Pro last year. As I recall the scaling was fine.

Interesting cost structure for XE4 and it packages, but the limited license is limited to a $1000 in revenue per year at which time you have to upgrade to an unlimited license.

Their "Mobile Add-On Pack" name is misleading. It only mentions iOS. Where is Android and Surface.

I only find mention of a 32 bit compiler. Fine for iOS devices, but for newer OS X or Windows systems, this would seem to be a limit.

Anyway, if you publicly release something on iOS, please let us know the product in this thread and give some feedback on the experience and limitations.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting cost structure for XE4 and it packages, but the limited license is limited to a $1000 in revenue per year at which time you have to upgrade to an unlimited license.

To date I wouldn't have an issue with that... then again I think my apps so far have targeted markets that are mostly unwilling or unable to pay for apps... maybe I'll do better with my next iOS endeavor...

gabberkooij

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Netherlands
I only find mention of a 32 bit compiler. Fine for iOS devices, but for newer OS X or Windows systems, this would seem to be a limit.

Anyway, if you publicly release something on iOS, please let us know the product in this thread and give some feedback on the experience and limitations.

You can compile to 32 and 64 bit for Windows, but OSX and iOS is indeed only 32bit at the moment

I will tell you when I have something ready. It will take a while, first I need to get a Mac :)

After some tests I want to make improvements for the Wine simulated Windows application and later on a viewer for the iPad
It is all a hobby project and a nice way to learn more...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
You can compile to 32 and 64 bit for Windows, but OSX and iOS is indeed only 32bit at the moment

I will tell you when I have something ready. It will take a while, first I need to get a Mac :)

After some tests I want to make improvements for the Wine simulated Windows application and later on a viewer for the iPad
It is all a hobby project and a nice way to learn more...

If you're buy a Mac - why not just use xCode to do the compiling etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.