Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdm3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
I am wondering whether to buy a new Macbook Air or wait for the new Macbook Pro. The issue I have identified is that I have an old 27" Apple Cinema Display that I want to continue to use. I believe this will plug into the Thunderbolt port in the MBA. And there is only one such port. The question is, does that matter (at the moment I have no Thunderbolt peripheries)? In other respects, I think either would be fine (I don't travel that much, but I also don't need much computer power since I largely use my computer for email, text processing and web browsing).

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Is your connection WiFi or Ethernet? If Ethernet, the MBA will need its Thunderbolt port for that.

Are you talking about the rMBP or the cMBP? We don't know that they're planning a Haswell refresh for the classic MBP. (We also don't know that they're not planning one)

mdm3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Thanks.
At the moment I use an Ethernet cable, but I could switch to wireless (I sit by my router).
Since I am fortunate not to be constrained by budget (other than having to buy before the end of July), I can go for either a rMBP or a cMBP when it comes (if it comes in time).
It occurred to me after I posted to ask if there is evidence that the new rMBP will have more than one Thunderbolt port? If not, then I guess it makes no difference.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i suggest you to wait for rMBP and buy your self a nice time capsule ac too :D
if you go with 15"i think we will get up to 12h battery like in the 13" MBA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.