Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HAL-666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
I'm pretty new to RSS feeds but as a means to find inspiration (I'm an artist) I would like to subscribe to about a dozen RSS feeds that I can look at when my mind is in need of new ideas but I do not want to have to sign in with a google account or have to create any kind of account. Is there something out there that will suit my needs? I tried a few and they all want to force me to use my google account or some other kind of account...

I'm on Mountain Lion using Safari 6. (No, not gonna switch to Chrome or Firefox. I did for a while and hated it.)

Thanks for the help! :)

PS: Also why can't I see the images when I open a feed? This really sucks when I get [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] every time. The point of this is to see the images, I could care less about the text and I don't have time to visit every single website on the list every day...

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Take a look at the free RSS app Vienna. It will do what you want without a Google account.

The reason you don't see full feeds on some sites is because that particular site has chosen to only provide a summary and not a full feed to get you to their site to see ads. It is not the fault of the RSS client. A way to sometimes get around this is to run the RSS feed through a service that scrapes the site and sends out the full feed. If you Google "full text rss" you will find several services like this.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
have you read this?:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/technology/personaltech/three-ways-feedly-outdoes-the-vanishing-google-reader.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I'm pretty new to RSS feeds but as a means to find inspiration (I'm an artist) I would like to subscribe to about a dozen RSS feeds that I can look at when my mind is in need of new ideas but I do not want to have to sign in with a google account or have to create any kind of account. Is there something out there that will suit my needs? I tried a few and they all want to force me to use my google account or some other kind of account...

I'm on Mountain Lion using Safari 6. (No, not gonna switch to Chrome or Firefox. I did for a while and hated it.)

Thanks for the help! :)

PS: Also why can't I see the images when I open a feed? This really sucks when I get [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] every time. The point of this is to see the images, I could care less about the text and I don't have time to visit every single website on the list every day...

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
I use and like Feedly, but the OP said he does not want to create an account anywhere to use RSS, and Feedly requires one to create an account or use your Google credentials.

i wasn't aware of that, but good to know... i don't use any of them but read pogue, and his article came to mind, so i thought i'd mention it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.