Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:21 AM   #1
poobear
macrumors 6502

Will next iPad Mini have improved battery? (similar to Haswell)

Hi everyone,
The Air got a huge battery improvement, from what I've understood it was all because of the Haswell cpu. And we all knew Haswell was coming before they announced it in the Air.

So, what's the coming cpu in the iPad front? Do we know? I was just wondering if there is any predicted nice battery improvement coming in next generation.
Retina will just make the battery worse, so any improvement I guess will just keep it on par with the current generation, but I have no idea.

Trying to justify buying iPad tomorrow
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Lunfai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear View Post
Hi everyone,
The Air got a huge battery improvement, from what I've understood it was all because of the Haswell cpu. And we all knew Haswell was coming before they announced it in the Air.

So, what's the coming cpu in the iPad front? Do we know? I was just wondering if there is any predicted nice battery improvement coming in next generation.
Retina will just make the battery worse, so any improvement I guess will just keep it on par with the current generation, but I have no idea.

Trying to justify buying iPad tomorrow
Nope, nothing is much known about their AX chip designs.
Lunfai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

It is quite possible that it is Intel who are playing catchup, with their Haswell processors. Apple may be at or close to bleeding edge already.
Internaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:52 AM   #4
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Well the iPad 4 with retina gets 10 hours which I feel is more than enough for majority of the population. I doubt Apple will ever reduce that number.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear View Post
Hi everyone,
what's the coming cpu in the iPad front? Do we know? I was just wondering if there is any predicted nice battery improvement coming in next generation.
Intel's manufacturing process is a generation ahead of Apple's manufacturing process, which allows them to produce desktop and notebook processors with unmatched performance per watt.

Apple has contracted with TSMC to manufacture A6/A7 processors on their 20nm process, which is somewhat less advanced than Intel's 22nm process. This will allow Apple to produce modestly faster A6/A7 processors with much lower power requirements or much faster processors with similar power requirements. Apple is expected to produce small quantities of these processors this fall (not enough for an iPhone) and large quantities by April/May of next year.

The display consumes the bulk of the power on iPads. Higher-resolution "Retina" displays consume significantly more power than traditional displays. Apple probably expects to offset a portion of the added power requirements of a Retina display with new, more efficient processors built on the 20nm process. However, because Apple's first 20nm processors are unlikely to ship in volume before April/May, it is probably unrealistic to expect an iPad Retina Mini before that time.

Last edited by KenAFSPC; Jun 23, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
KenAFSPC is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad