Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I'm going to order a BTO MBA this week, and I think I want it delivered to my local Apple store so when it arrives, I can run it through its paces to make sure everything is ok.

Some things to check are obvious, but others are not. What software tests, readily available, might I take with me to make the new MBA hardware run through its paces and make sure it is OK before I leave the store?

Readily available means I can download it at a place specified... :D

DoctorK4

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Why not just take it home and put it through your normal usage? If there's something wrong with it, take it back.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Because it is a 100 mile round trip to the store, and I'd rather not return it and then wait for another machine which may or may not be ok.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Regardless of the location to which you have it shipped, presumably you'll return it if you deem it to be "not ok." So just have it shipped home and save the 200mi round trip to the Apple store.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I'm going to order a BTO MBA this week, and I think I want it delivered to my local Apple store so when it arrives, I can run it through its paces to make sure everything is ok.

Because it is a 100 mile round trip to the store, and I'd rather not return it and then wait for another machine which may or may not be ok.

Having it delivered to a store that is a 100 mile round trip, given the reliability of the MBAs, is, well nuts. Since the first MBA was delivered, there's been 1 DOA documented on MR.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Having it delivered to a store that is a 100 mile round trip, given the reliability of the MBAs, is, well nuts. Since the first MBA was delivered, there's been 1 DOA documented on MR.

I've read several threads here of problems with the newest MBA's.

DoctorK4

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Look at it this way:
- if you have it shipped to your house and there's a problem, you'll have to drive 100 miles round trip.
- if you have it shipped to your house and there's no problem, you won't have to drive anywhere.

Even if you were 95% certain you'd have to return it, you'd still be better off getting it shipped to home for the 1-in-20 chance you could save the drive.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I have to agree with the consensus, just have it shipped to your home.

I do wonder if BTO are assembled on the spot once ordered..? If so, should mean it's tested before shipped. Nonetheless, you'll be fine.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Even if there was a problem, why would you drive to an Apple store? We are talking BTO here... Chances are they cant replace it in store. They maybe able to do a repair depending on the issue, but wouldn't rather have a new replacement? Just ship to your home and if there is an issue do an "advanced exchange" (assuming you get AppleCare).

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
When the OP doesn't provide additional information for why they'd drive 100 miles, round trip, to pick up a BTO, I am reminded of a phrase that General Russel L. Honoré (commander of forces in New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina) said to a reporter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.