Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iTunes Store Customers Notified of Settlement in In-App Purchase Lawsuit

As noted by 9to5Mac, iTunes Store customers have begun receiving emails notifying them of the settlement of a class action lawsuit related to unauthorized In-App Purchases made by children. The lawsuit originated from parents whose children racked up significant In-App Purchase bills through Apple's systems that in some cases allowed purchases to be made without requiring a password for the Apple ID account.

In the email, Apple outlines the settlement terms, which allow affected users to receive a minimum of a $5 iTunes Store credit. Users with more than $5 in charges can receive the full documented amount in credit, with cash refunds available to those with more than $30 in charges or who no longer have iTunes Store accounts.
Quote:
You may choose between (a) a single $5 iTunes Store credit or (b) a credit equal to the total amount of Game Currency that a minor charged to your iTunes account without your knowledge or permission within a single forty-five (45) day period, less any refund you previously received ("Aggregate Relief"). A cash refund in lieu of an iTunes Store credit is available if (a) you no longer have an active iTunes account, or (b) your claims exceed $30 in total. Additional requirements for claiming charges after the forty-five (45) day period apply. You must complete a valid Claim Form to receive settlement benefits.
Users wishing to exclude themselves from the proposed settlement have until August 30 to do so, and those seeking iTunes Store credits or refunds have until January 13, 2014 to submit their claim forms. A searchable list of qualifying apps is available on the settlement website, and over 23 million users are expected to receive claim notices informing them that they may be eligible for compensation.

Article Link: iTunes Store Customers Notified of Settlement in In-App Purchase Lawsuit
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:03 AM   #2
davidec
macrumors regular

We are gonna be rich.
davidec is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:04 AM   #3
ironsienna
macrumors regular

Skeuomorphic icon!!! Red Alert!!! Jony is coming to redesign it!!!

Last edited by ironsienna; Jun 24, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
ironsienna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsienna View Post
Sceuvomorphic icon!
How so?

How much did the lawyers get?
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:09 AM   #5
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

You can't put a price tag on inattentive parenting.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
silvetti
macrumors 6502

What If I can't remember if I got charged because my kid used my phone ?

Can I still file the charge and they will check on their side ?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Supermule
macrumors regular

What about people who paid to much for their Macbook?
Supermule is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:16 AM   #8
mikelegacy
macrumors 65816

How about this? How about these people just parent their damn children.

If I had a kid, and he racked up a $100 bill for app purchases, he's be mowing out neighbors yards and making the money to pay me back.

He/she would think twice about doing it again.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermule View Post
What about people who paid to much for their Macbook?
Yes, I think I was charged too much during an in-app purchase from the Apple Store app
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Porco
macrumors 68000

They have to fill in a claim form to get their money. Irony!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Class Action = Lawyers got a bundle

Consumers get coupon/credit and close to nothing.

Filing the paperwork takes more time than what you get.

And, all that because whenever somebody in USA screws up (as in bad parenting) they look for somebody else to blame and pay!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
Class Action = Lawyers got a bundle

Consumers get coupon/credit and close to nothing.

Filing the paperwork takes more time than what you get.

And, all that because whenever somebody in USA screws up (as in bad parenting) they look for somebody else to blame and pay!
It's the American way.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #13
HardRain
macrumors member

The IAP system is evil, plain and simple. It is a system of extortion designed to trick and deceive. No one in their right mind would allow such blatant scamming in any other area of life would they?

Sadly Apple's hunger for $'s blinded them from taking proper measures to prevent such issues. Talk about turning a blind eye.
HardRain is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #14
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
You can't put a price tag on inattentive parenting.
I'll bet the farm you've yet to produce offspring.

Considering I would wake up at 5 in the morning to play Zelda or Ice Climber when my parents specifically told me not to, I think it's a safe assumption to make that my kid has it in her to circumvent her parent's wishes.
chirpie is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #15
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelegacy View Post

If I had a kid, and he racked up a $100 bill for app purchases, he's be mowing out neighbors yards and making the money to pay me back.

You should probably look into this case a bit more. For starters would you really have a 4 year old out mowing lawns? Let me know how that works for you. Second, the way in app purchases used to work app designers made it such that you didn't even know you were spending real money.
WordMasterRice is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:30 AM   #16
decimortis
macrumors 6502

Sweet!
With my credit, I can get those last 5 special edition tractors for my farm!
Suckers!

D.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:31 AM   #17
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:

You are a great hypothetical parent! You should write a self-help book on how to be a great hypothetical parent of non-existent children! If you did, it would be a best-seller!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:32 AM   #18
HardRain
macrumors member

Quote:

Clearly you don't have a kid, as you so eloquently put it. How about going after the person who deceived your kid? How about that? The concept of money is not easily understood by children, surely stopping the deception of vulnerable children in the first place might be something to consider?
HardRain is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post
You should probably look into this case a bit more. For starters would you really have a 4 year old out mowing lawns? Let me know how that works for you.
He wouldn't have the kid for long. Child protective services would see to that.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Entitlement culture strikes again.

Well I suppose it's good PR none the less.
Jsameds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:50 AM   #21
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:

My iPad has at times fallen in the hands of a four year old. Had to remove dozens and dozens of photos of the furniture, floor, ceiling, various body parts and so on. It happens very quickly, and she had no idea she was taking photos. She'll press any buttons that are in sight. Including buttons for in-app purchases. Now my devices are set up so that every single purchase requires a password (no 15 minutes grace period), but there are games that allow single purchases over 50, so without this, she could easily rack up 1000 or 2000 in a few unobserved minutes.

On the other hand, there was a story on MacRumors about a 13 year old racking up 3,000 over several months. In that case, I agree with you (and Apple did as well, refusing any refund).
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:52 AM   #22
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
I'll bet the farm you've yet to produce offspring.

Considering I would wake up at 5 in the morning to play Zelda or Ice Climber when my parents specifically told me not to, I think it's a safe assumption to make that my kid has it in her to circumvent her parent's wishes.
That's precisely why you should use iTunes cards rather than using your credit card.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:53 AM   #23
litmag01
macrumors regular

I'm going to wait for the class action allowing refunds on ALL "mistaken" online purchases.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:54 AM   #24
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

deleted
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
My iPad has at times fallen in the hands of a four year old. Had to remove dozens and dozens of photos of the furniture, floor, ceiling, various body parts and so on. It happens very quickly, and she had no idea she was taking photos. She'll press any buttons that are in sight. Including buttons for in-app purchases. Now my devices are set up so that every single purchase requires a password (no 15 minutes grace period), but there are games that allow single purchases over 50, so without this, she could easily rack up 1000 or 2000 in a few unobserved minutes.

On the other hand, there was a story on MacRumors about a 13 year old racking up 3,000 over several months. In that case, I agree with you (and Apple did as well, refusing any refund).

Moral of the story - don't give your iPad to a four year old.
Jsameds is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion