Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's iOS 7 Lightning Connector Authentication Check 'Permanently' Cracked

As noted just after the launch of the first iOS 7 beta earlier this month, the operating system is capable of detecting when unauthorized Lightning cables or accessories are plugged into an iOS 7 device. While the system alerts the user with dialog box that must be manually dismissed, it does not prevent the unauthorized cables and accessories from working with the device at this point.

iPhone5mod, the Chinese firm that was among the first to begin offering Lightning accessories last year while Apple had yet to authorize official accessories and was struggling to keep up with demand for its own Lightning cables, now claims to have cracked Apple's iOS 7 authentication and is now offering new cables compatible with the upcoming operating system.

iPhone5mod's Cyril Chang says that his company's effort is a hardware crack that can not be worked around by Apple without changing its own Lightning hardware, and iPhone5mod is offering a money-back guarantee that its new cables will work with the final release of iOS 7.

Chang warns that several other companies have claimed to have achieved similar cracks, but that in iPhone5mod's testing those companies' cables still generate alerts under certain circumstances.

iPhone5mod's cables, docks and accessories are all being updated with the new cracked Lightning chips, with production already underway.

Update 10:56 AM: Chang tells MacRumors that the new Lightning cables with cracked authentication continue to function properly under iOS 7 beta 2, which was released today.

Article Link: Apple's iOS 7 Lightning Connector Authentication Check 'Permanently' Cracked
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
rdas7
macrumors regular

Oh phew! Now cheap knockoff cables can finally set fire to your iPhone 5 without that annoying warning popup!!
rdas7 is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
japanime
macrumors 65816

Great! Now I can get a pink Lightning Connector!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:46 AM   #4
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Wonder if FiiO will use these for their portable DACs.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Skika
macrumors 68020

They sure have balls posting that video like that
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:46 AM   #6
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

I still dont see the point of this notification other than to annoy folks.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:48 AM   #7
dennno
macrumors regular

Seriously they could have diverted all this effort to "crack" the authentication to refining their product to become an approved accessory provider.

Why would people bother buying this? If they have to bypass the authentication then something is clearly wrong with this cheap Chinese product.
dennno is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
braddick
macrumors 68040

iOS7 looks pretty darn decent in that video.
braddick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

I find it odd that customers who love Apple's closed system would buy something that would circumvent such "security".
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:51 AM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Okay, so perhaps someone can tell me whether the issue is just the notification that the accessory may not work or if Apple has prevented any third party accessory from working if it doesn't meet Apple's standards? If I plug in a cable and it says it may not function then who cares? If this so-called "crack" forces the cable to work, then that's another story.

"world's first third party ... for iOS 7"
Okay, world's first third party cable for an OS that isn't even released yet? That's cute. Good job being first.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Porco
macrumors 68000

Forked Lightning
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #12
i.mac
macrumors 6502a

Another crapware company stealing IP from apple.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post
I still dont see the point of this notification other than to annoy folks.
Many people dont know there is a difference between licensed cables and "fake" ones.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:54 AM   #14
jtp098
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
Seriously they could have diverted all this effort to "crack" the authentication to refining their product to become an approved accessory provider.

Why would people bother buying this? If they have to bypass the authentication then something is clearly wrong with this cheap Chinese product.
Whats the difference between the cheap Chinese products put into our iPhones and this

Food for thought.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.mac View Post
Another crapware company stealing IP from apple.

Samsung take 2
jtp098 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:55 AM   #15
.Asa
macrumors regular

I'll take a green, orange, and black. Apple's white cables are boring.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp098 View Post
Whats the difference between the cheap Chinese products put into our iPhones and this

Food for thought.

----------

Samsung take 2
Something called quality control, which big companies usually exercise tight control over.
Simplicated is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:56 AM   #17
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

That guy is sitting on a goldmine.
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:56 AM   #18
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

I am not buying a 3rd party cable.
ghostface147 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

They should have waited until the final version of iOS 7 was released as Apple now have a perfect opportunity to work around the workaround.
Jsameds is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:57 AM   #20
VoR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post

Obviously this is done for margin... Refining their cable? Becoming an 'approved accessory provider' is 99.9% licensing fees.

Ps. Most things in this world are 'cheap Chinese products' - Design, specification, branding, etc are exactly that, the cost to consumers is generally unrelated.
VoR is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Slix
macrumors 6502

Watch, now the cracked cables won't work with the next version of the iOS 7 beta because Apple will crack down on it again.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:59 AM   #22
CodexMonkey
macrumors member

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/con...609-2ny0c.html

Nuff said.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #23
tasset
macrumors 6502

Wake me up when these companies produce knockoffs of the $50 hdmi/vga/sd lightning adapters. I'm not impressed with simple charging cables.
tasset is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #24
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
I'll take a green, orange, and black. Apple's white cables are boring.
Agree, I prefer black cables. They match the hardware better (my black iPhone with MacBook Air.) I wish they offered all their white cables & A/C adapters in black.

Also different sizes. 3 Meter cables are essential when staying at a hotel with no outlet right next to the bed.
Mr Fusion is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
I am not buying a 3rd party cable.
Me neither. The charging cable is the least safe route to your iPhone's operating system. Lightning cables in particular are an area for concern because of the stripped-down OS than runs on them.

I'd rather pony up a bit of extra cash for an official cable and not have to worry about malware infecting my device.

I'm not saying that 3rd party cables would carry any malicious payloads but the fact they could is enough to put me off them.
126351 is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion