Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyimandy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Toronto, ON
Yeah I'm assuming the iPhone 4 is not going to do at all well with this new OS. I had the Beta 1 and unfortunately it was just too sluggish. Curious to see if speed has improved in Beta 2.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I've been using iOS 7 daily on my iPhone 4 since the release of Beta 1.

Beta 1 was a little bit slow, and we didn't get transparency in the dock or in folders. Otherwise it sounded like I wasn't having any more trouble than anyone on a 4S or 5. It consistently worked well enough to be passable, and the new design was enough to make me want to keep it over iOS 6.

Beta 2 is definitely faster, and transparency has been enabled on the dock and in folders. It looks better, and is much smoother. That said, I only did the OTA update to beta 2 about 30 minutes ago.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
The real deal-breaker for me was I couldn't seem to download music from iCloud. The cloud buttons next to the tracks in the music app had disappeared. Does anyone know where they moved to, or if this is just a bug? (Or if they're back now in Beta 2)

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
I cannot believe my eyes. It runs almost perfectly smooth, safari tabs are super smooth now, dock is transparent, aswell as folders, no lag in keyboard. Theres hope for iOS7 on the 4. Well done Apple.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Pictures please. :)

I ran Beta 1 and 2 on IP4. The Beta 1 was hardly usable everyday. Tons of slowdown for any action. Beta 2 feels much closer to the speed of iOS 6. It is fast enough for every day use now. Upgrade, you wont regret.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I cannot believe my eyes. It runs almost perfectly smooth, safari tabs are super smooth now, dock is transparent, aswell as folders, no lag in keyboard. Theres hope for iOS7 on the 4. Well done Apple.

Oh god, you just made my day, thank you for sharing your thoughts, as soon as I arrive home, I am gonna install ios 7 on my 4. Thank you soooo much, you rock!

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
Pictures please. :)

I'll upload when i get to my pc. Trust me, this is miles smoother than previous beta. There are some bugs even now (dock not changing colors without reboot, no folder opening animation when placed in dock, wallpaper black when returning from multitasking etc) but its almost perfect now in terms of smoothness. No lag in keyboard at all. Safari tabs scrolling perfectly. Amazing.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I'll upload when i get to my pc. Trust me, this is miles smoother than previous beta. There are some bugs even now (dock not changing colors without reboot, no folder animation when places in dock, wallpaper black when returning from multitasking etc) but its almost perfect now in terms of smoothness. No lag in keyboard at all. Safari tabs scrolling perfectly. Amazing.

GOD, I love you man! Tell us more!:D

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

lol. The device itself is old but he internals are still quite capable of handling much more than they allow. Parallax for example would run fine on an iP4, because panoramic wallpapers do (or did, they seem to have removed it in beta 2, lol). Can't have pano wallpapers because you'll have others asking where is the Parallax, I suppose.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

homer-yuju.png

mototriu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
Downloading Beta 2 right now. Will report back with general performance improvements. Is there anything anyone would like me to test specifically?

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Good to hear it's running smoothly on the ol' 4 now. The wife was a bit disappointed that she may miss out on iOS7 not having a dual-core processor.

If you were running with a jailbreak before going to iOS7, let us know here how it's been for you. From what I've heard it been these folks who are having the biggest prolem's with glitches.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
People using beta 2 on iPhone 4, could you tell me which of this transparency effects are enabled?

-Messages, top menu portion.
-Messages, keyboard transparency.
-Springboard spotlight box.
-Notification Center (dont confuse with Control Center).
-Music app, top menu portion.

¿Are this transparencies the same quality as seen on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5?

Thank you so much ^^

Ram27

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
NC doesn't blur like it does on other devices.

It's transparent but it doesn't diffuse.

larsamannen

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Does the GPS work in beta 2? (didn't in beta 1)

It's now working, both with "Maps" and Google Maps.

Beta 2 is much smoother but now I have being forced twice to do a hard reset on the phone since it freezes. Both times the phone was locked and the screen was black. When I pressed the home button to lighten up the display to see the clock, the screen didn't light up and the phone was "dead". Restarted it by pressing home button + power button for 10 sec. I did an OTA update. If it hangs once more then I will try to to a reinstall from the computer to see if that helps.

One other small bug I've found; the "unlock your PIN" screen does not always show up after a restart. I have to try to make a call to be asked to enter the PIN code.

EKCI

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
Beta 2 is working faster but it's still to slow for me...
Screenshot with new (ugly) dock:

Attachments

• 2013-06-25 12.14.28.png
    2013-06-25 12.14.28.png
    761.3 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.