Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hi,

I'm temporarily without Sky and had a few things on my planner I'd like to watch, so as a temporary measure have them on my PC - they're in MKV format and I'd like to somehow play them on my Apple TV 2... what is the absolute easiest way (maybe using an iPad somehow?) to play these movies? Maybe some way that I can just put things into a specific folder and they will be accessible on the ATV/iPad?

Thanks

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Buy AirVideo for the iPad and install AirVideo Server on your PC. I do this all the time and it plays everything I throw at it, either by directly sending the MP4 file or by transcoding from unplayable formats like MKV or FLV into something the iPad can play. You can then redirect it to the Apple TV. The great thing about this is that I can also set the server to be visible from the internet and then it will recompress material and stream it to me anywhere I can access it so I have full access to my film and TV collection without needing to copy it all over to my iPad. Especially good since my old iPad 1 is primarily used for media these days and it is only 16GB.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
mkvs can usually be remuxed instead of encoded to .mp4 much quicker (few minutes compared to a few hours) --
I use XMedia Encode (freeware):
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XMedia-Recode

I was able to remux 20 seasons of The Simpsons I had (it was in mkv format on my HDD already) in 8 hours not including ripping time (well probably shorter.. i did it over night and did not check it's progress until it was over and by then it had been completed).

Then use iTunes to import and keep it open for home sharing.

For my non mkv / mp4 files I use Air Video as suggested above (the paid version of the app is well worth it)

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thank you both! I'm going to trial the free version of Air Video, and will also try converting the files into an iTunes friendly format too and see which works best :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.