Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I have a friend who is on Android and I want to be able to chat with them from my Mac. Anybody have suggestions on what app would be best to do this with? (Just regular chat/messaging, video chat not really needed).

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Skype, or Google Hangouts/Talk/Chat, or Adium on Mac + any of the IM accounts it supports.

Or Viber (http://www.viber.com/) which became popular on iOS/Android and then came to Mac & Windows.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Specific apps are not the issue. Choose a messaging protocol. The Messages app in OS X Mountain Lion (and iChat, which came with earlier versions of OS X) can be used with AIM, Jabber, Google Talk, and Yahoo accounts. There are plenty of Android apps that can also be used with those services.

So, for example, if you both have (or create) AIM names/accounts, you could use Messages/iChat and your friend whatever app he/she wants that supports AIM.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Skype can also do instant messages, so you and your friend can both download it.

There's also Facebook Messenger. You can use the web page, and your friend can download the Facebook Messenger app.

AIM is outdated. It was popular 10 years ago but not now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.