Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggarnold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Lots of changes in the Music app and thought it could use it's own thread. Anyone else disappointed with some of the changes so far?

The Bad (and missing)
- Removed ability to change song ratings (are you kidding?!)
- iTunes Match: Cannot download all songs in playlist (only 1x1)
- iTunes Match: Missing artists - All songs are there but some artists are missing. Anyone else experiencing this? Yes, I have played with the "group by" setting.
- Text links instead of buttons (so/so on this, but worth mentioning)

The Good
- iTunes Radio: Very cool, still need to experiment more
- Cleaner look, like all of iOS 7
- Album, track and album icons
- Controls on lock screen (way better than double-tap to me!)

The key problem for me is the removal of the song ratings. Most of my playlists are driven by ratings, and iOS 6 (and prior) the ratings could be updated on my mobile device. Now i've got to remember which songs I liked and update iTunes afterwards.

Anyone else share this frustration? Thoughts on new features etc?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Is this beta2 or beta1? On a cursory look many problems are fixed in beta 2. For the others file bug reports

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I dig the lock screen controls being active as long as a song is playing. As far as ratings go I never did use that to organize my music but I do feel your pain.

ggarnold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Is this beta2 or beta1? On a cursory look many problems are fixed in beta 2. For the others file bug reports

Song rating capabilities are unavailable in both Beta 1 and Beta 2. Same with the missing ability to download all songs in a playlist when using iTunes Match.

The Beta 2 "Bug Fixes & Changes" thread had some other Music app complaints. Seems like Apple has made a lot of changes here.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
iTunes Radio. Now with ads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 560

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
This is new too . . .

Screenshot borrowed from photogpab on another thread.

i1flux.jpg

Music App has been updated - the artists default photo used to be a random album cover from within your collection. Now it looks like its an iTunes default profile picture. Much nicer . . .

Last edited:

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
I saw someone mention that they either weren't able to delete an entire album or an entire artist (I can't remember which they said) like you can in iOS 6. Is that true?

ggarnold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Who uses this? Why would you want to purchase a song and rate it 1 star?

Thank God it's gone.

How many songs do you have in your library? At some point you've got to organize/group/etc. The "smart playlist" features of iTunes are surprisingly powerful. For me, grouping by "All 5 Stars" or "3+ Punk" etc is very helpful.

Also, could be that i'm old school by the fact that I tend to purchase full albums (if the "hit" song is good, maybe the album has some other gems). ;)

The on-the-fly star ratings are extremely useful for someone that uses the smart playlists. It has been supported since Day One, so i'm surprised they have dropped it. And it is/was unobtrusive for those that don't use ratings.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
i like that we no longer have to double tap the home button to get music controls on the locks screen BUT they need to leave the clock on the status bar at least

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
Seems like I'm still unable to shuffle all songs of an artist, I think it's a huge gap in functionality that we had in iOS 6

EDIT: To clarify, I have an artist with 2 albums, and I'm unable to shuffle both albums together, which I was able to do in iOS 6. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

When Shuffle All (Bold) is on, it just shuffles the current album. When off (Shuffle, not bold) the album plays in order.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
- Text links instead of buttons (so/so on this, but worth mentioning)

I find those text links very confusing. Like, I tap Shuffle, and the text changes to Shuffle All. I'm like, "uh, is it shuffling or not?" Same with Repeat. seeing the text Repeat All makes me feel like I have to tap that to make it repeat.

I mean, what was wrong with the icons? They took up less space, and it was much easier to tell if they were on or off.

nishimura

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013

Thank God it's gone.

I used to use it to favorite songs.

Seems like I'm still unable to shuffle all songs of an artist, I think it's a huge gap in functionality that we had in iOS 6

EDIT: To clarify, I have an artist with 2 albums, and I'm unable to shuffle both albums together, which I was able to do in iOS 6. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

When Shuffle All (Bold) is on, it just shuffles the current album. When off (Shuffle, not bold) the album plays in order.

Why is it that when a song is selected from the search, it doesn't go to that song? It just opens up the music app.

paulmadejong

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Netherlands
If you play a song from a playlist, you can click on the 'list' view (upper right corner) to list all songs on the same album. In iOS 7 you have the additional ability to see the song in the current playlist from this list view. However, if you click a song in this list/playlist view, it starts playing a different song from the same playlist :rolleyes:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

I don't know about manually but when I told Siri to play a certain artist is did shuffle all of their albums.

joshforman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012

Thank God it's gone.

Jeez..

You can rate things something other than one star; you have 5 options (or 10 depending on where you are). Also, you might buy an album that has songs you don't like.

Also, the ratings can mean whatever you want. 1 = good.....3 = awesome.....5 =holy crap!!!

hazuki

macrumors regular
May 17, 2013
Bali
one thing i don't like is the white UI
the black UI is better

can anyone post a screenshot with lyrics showing on now playing?
i'll appreciate it

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I really hate how they removed the rating system, but its still available in iTunes. I use ratings to make new playlists lol.

Oh well its Beta. I'll see that they add down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.