Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I love both
But I downgraded and when I use ios 6 again I missed it enough that I don't wanna go back
Should there be a
Classic Mode
On the final ios 7?
Old theme with the new features

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Never thought I'd say it, but I'm missing some of the skeuomorphism. I also miss the icons from iOS 6 and before, but the new features are worth my minor gripes.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Nope, don't miss it at all. But that's just me. I'm not really nit picky about the minor details, I think overall ios 7 looks neat and fresh, and hopefully after ironing out all the bugs and app crashes, it'll work great too!

And I don't think Apple would ever add the old UI back, Apple loves uniformity, and the fact that they've developed this new UI means that they don't want the old anymore.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I genuinely love iOS 7 on the iPhone 5, in spite of the ugly icons and less than flattering color palette. So much of it is just so great that I wouldn't want to go back to 6, and it's worked just fine for me so far as well.

But the iPad is a completely different story. I love the new features, I think the lock screen and notification center look great, but the design sensibility of all the stock apps just isn't appealing to me on this larger screen. I really like most of it on the iPhone, but on the the iPad, it just doesn't feel right. Can't quite put my finger on why yet, but I just don't much care for it, which again, is the exact opposite of how I've felt about iOS 7 on the iPhone.

A few more of my thoughts on this matter were posted in another thread, but all in all, while I'm fine with the performance quirks of this beta on the iPad, the overall look and feel of it have me thinking I'll be back on 6 by Wednesday if not sooner. But what worries me is that I know I'm going to want to be using the 7 features eventually with new apps, but if little changes as far as how it all looks, I'm going to be staring at my first major iOS grievance come this fall. There's always been little things, but the design of iOS 7 as it stands right now just doesn't feel right for this device.

Hopefully my opinion magically changes in the next day or so as I use it more, but I instantly loved iOS 7 on the iPhone. I thought I'd love it on the iPad, but right now, I am thinking for the first time that the leather and oddly-used linen backgrounds weren't really that terrible. That's unfortunate.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Not fond of iOS7 on the iPad.

I actually don't like the new notification centre on it; it now takes the full width and height of the screen, which makes it harder to dismiss (you need to reach down to the bottom).

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I genuinely love iOS 7 on the iPhone 5, in spite of the ugly icons and less than flattering color palette. So much of it is just so great that I wouldn't want to go back to 6, and it's worked just fine for me so far as well.

But the iPad is a completely different story. I
love the new features, I think the lock screen and notification center look great, but the design sensibility of all the stock apps just isn't appealing to me on this larger screen. I really like most of it on the iPhone, but on the the iPad, it just doesn't feel right. Can't quite put my finger on why yet, but I just don't much care for it, which again, is the exact opposite of how I've felt about iOS 7 on the iPhone.

A few more of my thoughts on this matter were posted in another thread, but all in all, while I'm fine with the performance quirks of this beta on the iPad, the overall look and feel of it have me thinking I'll be back on 6 by Wednesday if not sooner. But what worries me is that I know I'm going to want to be using the 7 features eventually with new apps, but if little changes as far as how it all looks, I'm going to be staring at my first major iOS grievance come this fall. There's always been little things, but the design of iOS 7 as it stands right now just doesn't feel right for this device.

Hopefully my opinion magically changes in the next day or so as I use it more, but I instantly loved iOS 7 on the iPhone. I thought I'd love it on the iPad, but right now, I am thinking for the first time that the leather and oddly-used linen backgrounds weren't really that terrible. That's unfortunate.

I agree
Ios 7 doesn't feel right on iPad

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Not fond of iOS7 on the iPad.

I actually don't like the new notification centre on it; it now takes the full width and height of the screen, which makes it harder to dismiss (you need to reach down to the bottom).

I can understand this, and do somewhat agree. I would prefer a solution that took up less of the screen or at least made better use of the extra space. But I think the overall design and look of it work well on the iPad.

fotuwe

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
iOS6 is just much more familiar
Thats why I feel "home" while being on iOS6 .. I guess I will wait for the GM now.
Tried out Beta1 ... back to iOS6 .. Beta 2 ... back to iOS6 ..

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't miss iOS 6, because I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future. I installed iOS 7 on my old iPhone 4S to try, but my iPhone 5 and my iPads will be staying on 6.

I've talked about my problems with iOS 7 in other threads, so won't repeat them here. Suffice it to say that I could learn to live with the flat pastel icons, but the changes in UI constitutes a real degradation in usability for me.

Holly.j

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2014
I miss the user interface of ios 6 but love the features of ios 7... For people who really miss the old ios buy an ipod touch 4th gen and use it when ever you feel you miss ios 6

SilverGhost

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
I miss 6, and I cant even spell skumorphism! I love the way Apple justified replacing easy to see graphics, with invisible lines and the 'flat' look. For example, they were very proud of getting rid of the "faux leather" icon for contacts.

OF COURSE IT WAS "FAUX" LEATHER - IT'S A DRAWING, NOT ACTUAL MATERIAL! IT'S ALL "FAUX"! <rant off>

It occurred to me - how were the geniuses who decided to stop taking advantage of Retina super graphics, know the leather was faux and not real? Too funny.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Nobody said otherwise. It is a bold step to a new direction. I believe we will see its design mature when iOS 8 comes out. It will soften all rough edges.

I hope so because there are many design features I like about iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.