Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheeserandyburg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I have a late 2010 MBP 17" and it's never had any kernel panics, but just last night I had 4 in a row, all within 1.5 hours.

It all started when firefox started crashing, then skype wouldn't launch, then other applications were just crashing over and over again. So I restarted and tried to start up Skype and Firefox again. Lasted about 10mins before it all started going to hell.

I removed flash, reinstalled.. and then crash. Kernal panic. "Your computer must be restarted, etc"

This happened about 2-3 times.

Finally I downloaded Memtest for mac.

Upon running it, the errors just started piling up one after another. In addition, upon running the test it started "Attempting memory lock... " and then failed to lock.

As the errors kept going and going finally the screen (from top to bottom) shaded over and another kernel panic!

I ran Memtest on my imac to see how well it worked. The iMac passed with flying colours.

The same test didn't even get half way before it crashed the Macbook Pro.

So the question is... Is this faulty RAM?

I did install new ram about 4 weeks ago (Went from 4gb to 8gb). Could it be? Worked fine for 4 weeks and then starts to act up? Is this possible?

I checked "about this mac" and the ram says "ok" but something ain't right... 4 kernal panics :confused:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.