macrumors 68000

iOS 6 vs iOS 7 icon public poll

http://polarb.com/polls/tags/iosicons

very interesting to see the publics response
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:46 AM   #2
F123D
macrumors 68040

If that's the case and apple sticks with the current design. Get ready for some more whine and moan threads.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:57 AM   #3
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

If it doesn't do everything that every device running Android or Windows does, then people will complain. The snarky "Android has had that for years" stuff certainly never gets old. I always want to counter with "you mean like major security holes and stuff that maybe works depending on which third of the OS fragmentation you're a part of?"

Not that I care much about the feature, but the Instagram 4.0 update for video came the day of the announcement to my iPhone 4S on iOS 6.x. My friend had a 2-year-old Samsung phone running something in the 2.x range. She had no idea how to update it to the 4.x it required, and neither did I. But for some reason she's going to get a Galaxy S4 later this year.

I don't get it. The iPhone 5 screen is NOT THAT SMALL.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:57 AM   #4
aimee.elizabeth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
If that's the case and apple sticks with the current design. Get ready for some more whine and moan threads.
I don't know about that, according to the poll, most people prefer most of the new icons, only a few are close.
aimee.elizabeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:06 AM   #5
notrack
macrumors 6502

Imo that poll has the flaw that the icons are viewed without being applied to the phone. They might look nice in detail one by one or even better grouped togther, but put them on your home screen and it looks meeeh. Just doesn't work.
notrack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:19 AM   #6
Naor
macrumors regular

The icons are BEAUTIFUL and FRESH! This poll proves people love the iOS 7 design and it's far from being a disappointment. Apple only needs to change the Safari and Game Center icons.
Naor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:18 AM   #7
knightfolk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrack View Post
Imo that poll has the flaw that the icons are viewed without being applied to the phone. They might look nice in detail one by one or even better grouped togther, but put them on your home screen and it looks meeeh. Just doesn't work.
The latest poll has the icons shown in context on the home screen, and early numbers show a 2 to 1 advantage for iOS 7.

I am sure the vocal minority that dislikes the icons will try to come up with other reasons why the poll numbers don't agree with them, just give it time.

Last edited by knightfolk; Jun 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
knightfolk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:04 PM   #8
C DM
macrumors G4

Random people will often simply vote for something new just because it's new, not for any actual even remotely meaningful reasons.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Armen
macrumors 68030

I found it funny that most people preferred the old settings icon (which I also prefer as well)
Armen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:09 PM   #10
dvir971
macrumors regular

It's just pathetic how people always choose the new stuff over the old stuff... It's like they are minions of Apple and they will eat any ***** they will give it... They will never choose what they really think is better they will choose what APPLE decides is better.... Just pathetic
dvir971 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:14 PM   #11
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvir971 View Post
It's just pathetic how people always choose the new stuff over the old stuff... It's like they are minions of Apple and they will eat any ***** they will give it... They will never choose what they really think is better they will choose what APPLE decides is better.... Just pathetic
Most regular people will simply choose what they think is newer/"cooler" simply for the sake of it being new (and thus likely "cooler") to them.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:14 PM   #12
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple knows what is best for us. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:26 PM   #13
dvir971
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Most regular people will simply choose what they think is newer/"cooler" simply for the sake of it being new (and thus likely "cooler") to them.
Exactly what I meant
dvir971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:28 PM   #14
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Exactly what I meant
The same exact thing happens with android .
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:31 PM   #15
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

The new icons are superior imo, interesting poll results.
kmj2318 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:31 PM   #16
xcodeaddict
Banned

POLL:

I care about other people's opinions of something I like, personally:

[ ] <--- (tick) YES

[X] <--- (tick) NO, THAT'S ABSURB
xcodeaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:36 PM   #17
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcodeaddict View Post
POLL:

I care about other people's opinions of something I like, personally:

[ ] <--- (tick) YES

[X] <--- (tick) NO, THAT'S ABSURB
You'd be surprised how many people (pointlessly) care about what other people think about things that are essentially simply of personal taste and nothing more.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Or some people are so resistant to change that nothing new will make them happy...or at least that's the category I'm in. I prefer the old Icons, but with a few exceptions I find the new icons tolerable. Some will end up in a folder day one. I actually prefer a few of the new icons (gamecenter).
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:41 PM   #19
xcodeaddict
Banned

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many people (pointlessly) care about what other people think about things that are essentially simply of personal taste and nothing more.
Nothing surprises me on the webternet
xcodeaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:24 PM   #20
batman75
macrumors 6502

I think they should stick with it. The minority of moaners is always very vocal.

Every time BMW launches a new car people say the same thing. Then it turns out to be the best selling model ever.

Also this poll is irrelevant because the people being polled didn't hold an iOS 7 device in their hands. This isn't a photogenic OS but it is beautiful to behold in 3D.
batman75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:54 AM   #21
gopnick
macrumors regular

I agreed with the majority on all but one or two icons. Safari, Game Center, and Settings were my least favorite icons.

I like the new Photos, Mail, SMS, and Passbook icons.

I've been in the Mac universe long enough to see people predicting the death of Apple every. single. time. they release a new OS or product. "Apple doesn't have it anymore!" -- and then it always turns out to be a record-shattering product or announcement.

I'll just let the Chicken Littles keep on whining and enjoy iOS 7 when it is released.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:31 AM   #22
Megakazbek
macrumors regular

I think it's not correct to compare icons that were designed for two completely different style of looks. For example, the old compass icon is perfectly fine for "old" iOS 6 look, but would look awful in iOS 7, however the new icon looks good in iOS 7, but would be absolutely inappropriate for iOS 6.

The better question would be simply to show only new icons and for each ask do you like it, yes/no? It also is more important question, because icon can be horrible, but still an improvement over previous version.

Also, IMHO icons lack some of attention to details and while generally may be perceived as good, they have some "hidden" flaws that aren't usually present in Apple's designs which usually stand even most nitpicky examination. For example, the Music icon looks fine and the poll result shows that people don't see any problems with it, however for people who are familiar with musical notation, the line with rounded corners that groups two notes is just weird, because in real notation these group lines are never rounded. Why did they round corners on that icon? Even if it doesn't effect user impression of the icon, it also doesn't make any sense, which is not typical of Apple designs where every tiny detail has been thought through.
Megakazbek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:31 AM   #23
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Since iOS 7 was announced I've thought that the 3 icons that are really terrible are Safari, Game Center, and Settings. I went into this poll guessing that they'd be the 3 that lost to iOS 6.

It turns out that there are 5 icons where the old beat the new in this poll:

Siri
Safari
Game Center
Camera
Settings

So out of 26 polls, 5 of them lost out to iOS 6 and I guessed 3 of them. Well wow, if this really is a random crap-shoot like you say that's a freaking amazing coincidence for me to guess 3 out of 5 out out of 26 correctly.

Maybe I should play the lottery today!
Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:34 AM   #24
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Oh my gawd... We're back to talking about the damn icons again??

*sigh*
DDustiNN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:42 AM   #25
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Oh my gawd... We're back to talking about the damn icons again??

*sigh*
What did you think the topic would be in a thread titled "iOS 6 vs iOS 7 icon public poll"?

HitchHykr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7