Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Mac or Windows PC? Mac PC!!
________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this falls under another topic but I didn't see anywhere where there was a similar topic started.

Here's my situation.

I have a ~6 year old PC and I'm really wanted to upgrade from this slow PC and so I'm trying to decide as to what I should do. I can get a pretty good new PC with decent specs as follows:

Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4GHz
8GB of DDR3 memory @ 1600MHz
1TB WD Black HDD
NVIDIA GeForce FX GTX 650 Ti Boost with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Dell S2440L monitor
Windows 8

As well as a couple of other specs and this is a custom build. All for AUD $1,555.

Or I could opt for the entry level or high end 21.5" iMac.

Bear in mind that I am a TAFE student and so I would be eligible for Apple's educational discount. So I'm looking at AUD $1,380 for the 21.5" entry level iMac and $1,580 for the 21.5" high end iMac.

Now I realise some of you Apple fans out their would have a bias towards Apple products so I would love an unbias opinion on what I should do.

I might add though that I think with what is offered in PCs today in terms of graphics cards that Apple should at least provide a 1GB graphics card on the entry level iMacs, not sure if they would update the iMacs soon this month or next with 1GB graphics but it would be nice, because my current PC has a 1GB graphics card so going from a 1GB GC to a 512MB GC would kinda suck.

Anyway guys it'd be great to hear all of your unbias opinions on my situation.

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes, if you can wait for the next imac upgrade.. they will put 1GB vRam in 21.5" too. But what are your daily tasks? what are you doing in your old pc now?

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
yes, if you can wait for the next imac upgrade.. they will put 1GB vRam in 21.5" too. But what are your daily tasks? what are you doing in your old pc now?

I currently do some video editing in Sony Vegas with 1080P video (My current PC struggles with this quite a bit).

I also do some light photo editing in Paintshop Pro 12.

A good amount of YouTube video watching and well other daily tasks like checking email etc.

I'm just wondering if my best bet is to go with the custom PC option but I'm having a hard time deciding. The iMac just looks amazing though and that IPS display is awesome.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes go to the iMac, but wait for the upgrade...i have the 21.5" imac 2.9Ghz, with 650M and 1T fusion. But i think it is worth to wait for the future of wifi ac, better ssd, even if you opt for the fusion drive i think that 128/256 ssd will be PCIe, better graphic cards with 1Gb vRam, revies of 760M are very positive.

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
yes go to the iMac, but wait for the upgrade...i have the 21.5" imac 2.9Ghz, with 650M and 1T fusion. But i think it is worth to wait for the future of wifi ac, better ssd, even if you opt for the fusion drive i think that 128/256 ssd will be PCIe, better graphic cards with 1Gb vRam, revies of 760M are very positive.

How do you know that the new iMacs will come with a 1GB graphics card?

At the moment the 640m and 650m graphics cards actually come with 1GB (possibly even 2GB) of dedicated vRam so I don't know why Apple opted for only 512MB of vRam for those cards. That's why I am kinda doubtful that we'll see 1GB GC in the new iMacs.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
1 because will be late 2013 year...
2 and the most important thing..they will not let 640M or 650M still in the new refresh but will put the new 7xx series that 760M for example only start from 1GB vRAM up to 2GB, so Geforce in 7xxM series does not have 512 vRAM

----------

760M from 1 to 2 vRAM
770M from 1 to 3 vRAM
780M from 1 to 4 vRam

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
1 because will be late 2013 year...
2 and the most important thing..they will not let 640M or 650M still in the new refresh but will put the new 7xx series that 760M for example only start from 1GB vRAM up to 2GB, so Geforce in 7xxM series does not have 512 vRAM

----------

760M from 1 to 2 vRAM
770M from 1 to 3 vRAM
780M from 1 to 4 vRam

Aren't Apple more likely to go with the 740m on the entry level 21.5" iMac up from the 640m and say 750M for the high end 21.5" iMac up from the 650M?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes probably for 740M if they put, but for high end will be at least the 750M that feature 1 Gb vRam up to 2 with 967 MHz core speed

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
yes probably for 740M if they put, but for high end will be at least the 750M that feature 1 Gb vRam up to 2 with 967 MHz core speed

I'm just wondering though if Apple get the graphics card manufacturer, whether NVIDIA or AMD, to provide them with special 512MB graphics cards for the iMacs. I know this sounds far fetched but it wouldn't surprise me. I just don't understand though why Apple doesn't want to give it's consumers or loyal fans the best graphics cards and the most amount of memory that the card supports.

We should be seeing 2GB of vRAM available on the iMacs not a pitiful 512MB. It kind of stuns me that it's considered a luctury to have a 2GB graphics card (with the only way to get it is on the highend 27" iMac) on an iMac when the standard today on the Windows PC side is 2GB. Sorry for my rant, it's just quite frustrating.

I would put up with 1GB though if Apple do it. I will add something that I've noticed with the 2013 Macbook Airs. With the latest Intel HD Graphics 5000 on the Macbook Airs the available graphics memory, even though it's sharing memory with the Macbook Air's RAM, is 1GB (1024MB). That kind of leads me to believe that Apple will provide the Haswell iMacs with 1GB graphics cards finally after so long sticking with 512MB. I can only hope.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Yes they will..i think from 1Gb vRam from base models up to 3Gb vRam for top model 27"

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Since you have trouble deciding. I would recommend waiting a few months to see if there is a iMac refresh. If so, then you could make a fair, side by side comparison of the actual specs instead of comparing true specs with speculated specs.

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Mmm I think I'll stick with my custom PC. One of the many advantages of a Windows PC is if the Display dies you can easily replace it or any component for that matter. Plus I think it's better bang for the buck.

Don't get me wrong, I love OS X but I think a Windows 8 PC is what I need.

Sorry to waste everyones time but I've just been having a good think about it and the PC seems the best logical option.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Mmm I think I'll stick with my custom PC. One of the many advantages of a Windows PC is if the Display dies you can easily replace it or any component for that matter. Plus I think it's better bang for the buck.

Don't get me wrong, I love OS X but I think a Windows 8 PC is what I need.

Sorry to waste everyones time but I've just been having a good think about it and the PC seems the best logical option.

Good call..

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Good call..

Thanks mate! The decision to stick with the Windows PC option was made because I do use use Sony Vegas Pro extensively and I need the best performance that I can get for my money. Plus at AUD $1,555 you couldn't get the specs this custom PC has got in an iMac for that amount of money.

So overall I think it's a good decision.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Do you run games?

If the answer is no... don't get bogged down in the hardware spec, and get a mac. Just fill it up with RAM.

I used to build my own PCs for 18 years.

I'm not going back.

Comparing spec between windows and mac with regards to price is pretty pointless, as on the mac you get a legit copy of OS X and drivers that seriously "just work".

The user experience is worth the extra you pay for the same hardware spec, and the hardware spec is plenty (just make sure you get plenty of RAM - OS X loves RAM) unless you're a hard core gamer.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i play some games too,so even so a mac it is good enough. But if he wants a PC...we cannot stop him, but if you use a mac for a month you don't get back to windows

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Do you run games?

If the answer is no... don't get bogged down in the hardware spec, and get a mac. Just fill it up with RAM.

I used to build my own PCs for 18 years.

I'm not going back.

Comparing spec between windows and mac with regards to price is pretty pointless, as on the mac you get a legit copy of OS X and drivers that seriously "just work".

The user experience is worth the extra you pay for the same hardware spec, and the hardware spec is plenty (just make sure you get plenty of RAM - OS X loves RAM) unless you're a hard core gamer.

Ahhhh dang it! I think I've just had a bit of a turn around with my decision. I just thought of how much I was impressed with iMovie and my 2012 Macbook Air handling my 1080P videos way better than my 6 year old PC even though my PC has a dedicated GPU and my Macbook Air has Intel HD Graphics 4000. Even handbrake was faster transcoding on my Macbook Air. Plus I've just thought that if I got a 2013 iMac I could use Sony Vegas in Windows and look at purchasing and use FCP X in OS X if I want to. Plus the iMac is such a beautiful machine.

Just one slight thing I worry about. I read a story of a guys new 27" iMac screen literally falling of when he was using it. And knowing the iMac screen is just stuck on the aluminium unibody with just adhesive glue is kinda worrying. The guy after lots of trouble with Apple initially finally had his screen repaired under waranty.

But that aside I think I'll love an iMac. I was going to get an iMac a while back last year but ended up spending a good portion of the iMac money on an iPad 4 that I don't regret. So I think as long as the 21.5" iMacs get 1GB graphics cards I think I'll be getting that iMac.

So you built your own PCs for 18 years and then decided to switch to mac. That must've been quite a change for you. And you're happy with your decision, no regrets?

Oh yeah and I hardly play any games so I'm no hardcore gamer at all. I'm more interested in videography and photography.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So you built yournown PC for 18 years and then decided to switch to mac. That must've been quite a change for you. And you're happy with your decision, no regrets?

No, no regrets.

Sometimes I do wish I had a faster GPU for gaming, but this is my own fault for buying a single (portable!) machine to do everything (my MBP 15 has the higher end video to do double duty as desktop replacement as well as portable machine).

I'll be buying another one, it's actually my second mac, the first was a Mini to see if i could live with OS X, after I'd been extremely impressed with my first apple product, an airport express - it just worked way better than previous WIFI gear I'd dealt with.

Happy to report i much prefer it to Windows, though i've been a unix guy for ages as well as Windows (Linux, FreeBSD).

The big thing has been that once I adjusted to OS X (forget the windows way, just accept that some things are different - it took me a week or so), i've had very few problems.

I don't need any warez to get things done. Most software is either built in (PDF), supplied (iLife) or free software, or cheap on the app store.

Just know that there WILL be an adjustment period while you'll flounder about lost for a bit - stick with it though, it's worth it.

As far as hardware spec goes - for the past 5 years or so, hardware spec has become less important. Most half decent kit is "good enough", we aren't back in the 90s or early 2000s where you had to ensure you got a 3d accelerator or sound card to be able to play games at all - and if you didn't too bad! Onboard sound is good enough, and most games can be played on most cards now just might need to reduce detail slightly.

Rather than spend up big on high end hardware you don't need today to try and future proof (in terms of CPU/GPU) just upgrade more often and get a faster machine for less money by the time you need it. Just get plenty of RAM. It's cheap.

Last edited:

Geekazoid

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
i play some games too,so even so a mac it is good enough. But if he wants a PC...we cannot stop him, but if you use a mac for a month you don't get back to windows

I've actually been using a Macbook Air for many months now, probably close to a year and I like it a fair bit.

So yeah I wont be close minded on getting an iMac as long as I can have a 1GB graphics card so I'm not downgrading from 1GB of vRAM to 512MB of vRAM.

----------

Well just out of interest, how satisfied are you all with your macs (more so your iMacs if any of you have one?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
So you built your own PCs for 18 years and then decided to switch to mac. That must've been quite a change for you. And you're happy with your decision, no regrets?

I too have been building my PCs, but not quite as long. 5 years. While the PCs were definitely a bigger bang for the buck, it was filled with as many problems as the savings. Ive been plagued with the BSOD so many times, and have yet to figure out why. The error had something to do with ram, i run memtest, it fails, so i replaced the ram. Still getting the BSOD, so i assume its the mobo's RAM slots, but if i get a new mobo i need to get new ram (since im currently using DDR2 and would need DDR3) but if im doing that may as well go from intel core2quad to the intel i7 series right? eventually it would total more than a mac. So i just went ahead and bought one!

PCs are definitely more future proof, since its internals can be easily replaced. But as an engineer i do know for a fact that the more interchangeable parts it has, the higher the chances of failure.

The OS on the mac is just flawless + the external design of the computer itself is incomperable with anything else in the world. Ive loved the switch, and I cant say if Id ever go back to windows, but if i do, it would be on a mac computer.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I've actually been using a Macbook Air for many months now, probably close to a year and I like it a fair bit.

So yeah I wont be close minded on getting an iMac as long as I can have a 1GB graphics card so I'm not downgrading from 1GB of vRAM to 512MB of vRAM.

----------

Well just out of interest, how satisfied are you all with your macs (more so your iMacs if any of you have one?

I also used to build PCs (for very very quiet operation). There used to be 3 operating here, now there's only 1 (headless) as a "compute" server for old PC S/W. The other 2 have been replaced by an MBA and a Mini.

S/W is the main reason I would never go back to Win (apart from the enjoyment of using the MBA). The next purchase is going to be either an rMBP or the new Pro.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Anyway guys it'd be great to hear all of your unbias opinions on my situation.

You're not going to get unbias opinions here. Its a Mac forum. Most of the users here are Mac users and will recommend a Mac even if it isn't suitable for you.

If you don't mind the higher price for slightly less powerful machine, that a Mac is an option. It all depends on what software you're wanting to use. If your desired software doesn't run on OSX then obviously it isn't the right choice. But if its the other way round and you want the benefits OSX has over Windows then go for it.

Also keep in mind that Apple don't support their Operating Systems as long as Microsoft do, so if long term support is a factor, you may be better with a Windows PC.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Been a PC user myself since I was 13 (I'm 21 now). I have always doubted macs but I made the switch last April (27 inch imac, upgraded the ram myself). I'm more than satisfied!

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
You seem to be getting pretty hung up about getting a 1gig video card because you don't want to downgrade from the one in your 6 year old PC. Given your usage profile and the general upgrade you'd be getting, do you think you'd notice you had 512mb less ram on your video?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i have an imac 21.5" like i said 2.9ghz with 650M 512vRAM and 1T fusion drive.

It is an perfect all in one machine :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.