Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Anyone have recommendations for a PHP editor/IDE? Is there an extension which would add this to Dreamweaver CS6?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
How is the default code editor (originally was HomeSite) in Dreamweaver in CS6? It doesn't auto color code / auto correct for PHP files?

Thanks for reply. I just started with Dreamweaver (and PHP/CSS/HTML for web) so I don't know, but it doesn't seem to do anything but color the code (although maybe I'm not looking in the right place). What I'd like is an environment which would check syntax and complete statements for me, as well as let me execute code and debug.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
coda, sublime, aptana, eclipse, netbeans, bluefish

Will check them out, thanks. Looking for something that will check syntax, complete statements and let me execute and debug code all in one place, and which doesn't require extensive knowledge of setting up/configuring a web server and PHP itself.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Have you looked at MAMP - Mac OS, Apache, MySQL, PHP (or alternatively XAMPP) for running/testing your code locally? Setup is a snap.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I use IntelliJ at work, though when I was only doing PHP, I used PHPStorm

Thanks. Is there a steeper learning curve for IntelliJ? I want to get proficient in Javascript and PERL as well. Have not done web coding but back in the day I took courses in C,C++, objective C. Now I need to dust off the mental cobwebs.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Thanks. Is there a steeper learning curve for IntelliJ? I want to get proficient in Javascript and PERL as well. Have not done web coding but back in the day I took courses in C,C++, objective C. Now I need to dust off the mental cobwebs.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but for me, the productivity output is excellent.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I use coda / MAMP for web development.
Workflow includes workspace:
1) Chrome ( dev view )
2) Coda
3) Safari standard view / with MAMP running behind
4) Source Tree ( for version control - GIT )

Separate Acer widescreen laptop running windows 7, IE 10 browsing the LAN localhost to see current web work.

I switch between the workspaces with the 3 finger swipe, left and right to keep the maximum screen realestate for work and minimal closing hiding moving windows around.

PS I also have iTunes radio running in the workspace 6 and leave workspace 4 & 5 open for web searches, photoshop, ect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.