Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
blueshogun96
macrumors member

Screen recording (for OpenGL applications)

I'm looking for a means to record some footage of my application which uses OpenGL for gfx (yes, it's a game). My problem is finding a way to do it without slowing down my game's framerate. I tried using quicktime, but that slowed my game down to a crawl. Since my game uses frame based movement, it has to run at a solid 60fps. So far, I haven't seen a Mac equivalent to Fraps.

One thing I do have is avilib, so if all else fails, I can write my own code to save each frame as a .jpg into a temporary folder, edit/remove the headers as necessary and save write each frame to a MJPG compressed .avi file. I've decoded MJPG encoded .avi files before, so encoding one shouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure I'd have to multi-thread the code to avoid effecting the game's frame rate.

Any other alternatives? Thanks.
blueshogun96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Madd the Sane
macrumors 6502

There is a demo app on developer.apple.com that shows how to make a QuickTime movie from an OpenGL view. I can't remember what the project is called, though.
Madd the Sane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Persifleur
macrumors member

I believe the sample is From A View to A Movie
Persifleur is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming