Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

G4Games points to a photo posted to Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo that allegedly shows display assemblies from the iPhone 5S. While better photos of the part surfaced last week and we've received a number of other photos of the assemblies, the new photo is notable because the parts appear to have been photographed on a production line.

iphone_5s_displays_production_line.jpg
The photo is relatively small, but the resolution is good enough that the redesigned flex cable connectors on the iPhone 5S part can be seen. On the iPhone 5, the two connectors supporting the display itself and the touch digitizer are both oriented horizontally, while on the iPhone 5S one is oriented vertically and the other horizontally.

The report suggests that the photo points to mass production of the display assemblies already being underway with the possibility of the device being ready for launch earlier than expected. Mass production of the display was, however, previously rumored to be ramping up this month, and a public launch is expected around the September timeframe alongside the release of iOS 7.

Parts for the iPhone 5S are beginning to leak with increasing frequency, and over the past several days we have shared several photos of the rear shell and internals from an early iPhone 5S prototype, revealing a new A-series chip, a larger capacity battery, and an updated rear camera system with dual-LED flash.

Article Link: Photo of iPhone 5S Display Assemblies on Production Line Surfaces

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
wonder if they are getting a bigger stockpile to start with, the main reason i cancelled my iphone 5 for note 2 was because it was taking so long to get (was in europe, not the states) as I waited up at night to pre order and the had none in stock from day 1

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
We'll have to wait for the actual device to know if anything significant has changed (gorilla glass 3, IGZO display, etc.)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
dat doubling down on secrecy

On a serious note though, I'm very excited to see what Apple's next gen CPU has to offer. With any luck they'll also make 32/64GB the minimum storage amount on iOS devices. :)

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm hoping its a more exciting release than the 4S announcement. Leading up to that event there were so many iPhone 5 rumors that it left a lot of people underwhelmed.

I'm glad there aren't iPhone 6 rumors running rampid.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
wonder if they are getting a bigger stockpile to start with, the main reason i cancelled my iphone 5 for note 2 was because it was taking so long to get (was in europe, not the states) as I waited up at night to pre order and the had none in stock from day 1
Wow, talk about first world problems. You cancelled your order because you could not get it right away? I am playing the smallest violin for you right now.

Get some perspective man.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If you look closely at the two phones, you'll notice their form factors are different. It is true that the angle of the photo is definitely causing some distortion, but the phone that is closer on the left side does not have the same form factor as the iPhone 5. It looks more like an iPhone 4s.

Also the phone on the left does not show the space for the Home button as the phone on the right shows it very clear.

Unless these are two different models of the 5s (in the same assembly line???), I would say this photo is a fake.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
If you look closely at the two phones, you'll notice their form factors are different. It is true that the angle of the photo is definitely causing some distortion, but the phone that is closer on the left side does not have the same form factor as the iPhone 5. It looks more like an iPhone 4s.

Also the phone on the left does not show the space for the Home button as the phone on the right shows it very clear.

Unless these are two different models of the 5s (in the same assembly line???), I would say this photo is a fake.

Yea it almost looks wider. The one on the left that is

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I second that. Could just be wishful thinking

it might actually be bigger? look at the earpiece (or whatever its called in english, i dont even know what to call it in german lol) and its distance to the edge of the phone the distance seems to be further than on the iphone 5

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
They should release the 5S earlier. The 20 month anniversary of the 4S release has passed and lots of people are becoming eligible for an upgrade.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I'm hoping its a more exciting release than the 4S announcement. Leading up to that event there were so many iPhone 5 rumors that it left a lot of people underwhelmed.....

That 'underwhelmed' feeling was quickly overshadowed.

Who doesn't remember that day, October 4/2011, the mood at the keynote was sombre, steve's absence was palpable, of course the execs knew then, what the world would learn the following day.....

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
They should release the 5S earlier. The 20 month anniversary of the 4S release has passed and lots of people are becoming eligible for an upgrade.

Apple seems to be waiting to release iOS 7 with the new iPhone, so that could be one reason for the delay.

Also, October (or Fall season) has become the more traditional launch month for big Apple products, as is usually the season when people buy gifts for Christmas and other gift-giving festivities of end-of year.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

not anymore they are not

24 months now with verizon and at&T

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
If you look closely, there is a line of text along the bottom edge of front display which identifies the location where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.