Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
I just noticed that someone has added a Rumors category to the wiki. I don't think this is a good idea. The wiki is supposed to be repository of factual information - not rumors. Macrumors.com is a good central location for rumors.

The content in the rumors category right now is on specific intel rumors. Some of the intel news is fact. Much is rumor. The factual portions (like the intel FAQ) are good wiki content, but rumors don't seem appropriate.

What is everyone else's opinion?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I agree, I'm not a fan of the rumors category. It's a bit of an artificial category.

arn

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
That and any information on such "rumors" would be better worked from the homepage or forums. As you stated, the category is not exactly "fact" thus makes it strange to have on a wiki full of factual information :) .

Good idea from whoever posted the section, however it is a bit redundant when you look at the fact that this wiki is on a "Mac Rumors" site .

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Actually I added the category, just because there were suddenly 3 hardware pages that popped up with the text (rumored) after it in the title. I didn't think these belonged in the Apple Hardware category, where two of them resided, so created a separate place to put them.

Now that the Rumors category has been removed, all three (intel powerbook, intel ibook, and intel mac mini) are listed under Apple Hardware. Being that they don't exist, and may never with the specifications given, it doesn't seem right for them to be in that category either.

I agree that these pages either shouldn't be a part of the wiki guides at all, or should contain only factual information - with the text (Rumored) taken out of the title.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Peel said:
Actually I added the category, just because there were suddenly 3 hardware pages that popped up with the text (rumored) after it in the title. I didn't think these belonged in the Apple Hardware category, where two of them resided, so created a separate place to put them.

Now that the Rumors category has been removed, all three (intel powerbook, intel ibook, and intel mac mini) are listed under Apple Hardware. Being that they don't exist, and may never with the specifications given, it doesn't seem right for them to be in that category either.

I agree that these pages either shouldn't be a part of the wiki guides at all, or should contain only factual information - with the text (Rumored) taken out of the title.

Easy solution. No rumors in the Wiki. Want rumors, search MacRumors. Want/need assistance, use the MacGuides.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I'm ambivalent about the category, but think that it's a great idea to have pages for rumored products. It's a place where we can keep score of what we do know, as opposed to wild-ass speculation. In the forums, if the same speculation is repeated enough times it seems to become "true", and the wiki could provide a nice balance for that.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Mechcozmo said:
Easy solution. No rumors in the Wiki. Want rumors, search MacRumors. Want/need assistance, use the MacGuides.

I disagree... I think a running rumor page on a topic is much more useful than "searching MacRumors". The point of the wiki page is to keep things up to date to be an up to date reference... at least that's in my mind :)

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.