Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Hey all. A friend and I were having a heated discussion aka "argument" over how iOS's multitasking isn't "true multitasking" like that of Android, or so he says. When I had my Android devices I have no issues with having many apps open at the same time, but that's not what this thread is about.

I use Colloquy as my iRC app of choice when on the go, and I have a ZNC bouncer set up on one of my PC towers here at home. I can connect to it just fine (over WiFi and 3G/4G alike), but then there's that Apple-policy-induced 10 minute app timeout. Is there any app that's iOS 7 compliant for iRC? Is there hope that now that Tim Cook is at the reigns that he'll loosen up the policy of multitasking stuff? I know there's a jailbreak tweak that you can apply that prevents background apps from being killed off...heck I remember 'Backgrounder' from iOS 1/2/3 from early jailbreaks to allow multitasking in the first place. I totally understand why such policies are put into place when developing an app, but if it's a battery life concern shouldn't it be the user's choice to have something like Colloquy running nonstop? Why can't it be written to ping itself every 10 minutes or something, thus keeping you connected until you choose to close out of it entirely?

Is LimeChat any good? I'd be willing to spend some money until I find the best app for the job.

Thanks in advance,
ShiggyMiyamoto

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
No apps have been updated for iOS 7. The feature you're looking for will be app-specific, and depends on if the developers implement it. Any app that is updated with iOS 7 features cannot be submitted to the App Store until iOS 7 is released though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.