Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New APIs in iOS 7 Allow Developers to Detect Blinking and Smiling in Photos

In addition to a complete redesign and a slew of new features, Apple's iOS 7 offers a number of APIs for developers, including several camera improvements like zoom capabilities for video.

According to 9to5Mac, iOS 7 beta 2, which debuted yesterday, added a new function that allows developers to access image detectors to locate facial expressions within photos.

While face recognition was originally introduced with iOS 5, the new APIs can detect distinct expressions like smiles and blinking, functionality that is found in several basic point-and-shoot cameras.

Since the iPhone's debut, Apple has worked hard to improve both the camera hardware and software of its devices, so it is no surprise that iOS 7 will offer multiple camera enhancements for developers. Each iteration of iOS has included new features, such as the volume shutter controls that debuted with iOS 5 and the panorama capabilities added with iOS 6.

Apple's camera expansion efforts have largely paid off, with the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 ranked as the three most popular cameras on photo sharing site Flickr. The iPhone's camera was also the highlight of a recent Apple advertising campaign.

Along with software improvements in iOS 7, Apple's next generation iPhone is also expected to feature several photo-focused enhancements. The iPhone 5S is rumored to have a higher megapixel camera and a dual LED flash that was revealed in device photos earlier this week.

Article Link: New APIs in iOS 7 Allow Developers to Detect Blinking and Smiling in Photos
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2
MickeyAlexander
macrumors newbie

What crazy technology!
MickeyAlexander is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

That's awesome!!
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
coder12
macrumors 6502

Sweet! It's nice to see facial recognition becoming more advanced in the API itself; there are a ton of cool potentialities that this brings forward, but it will still keep usage consistent.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:53 PM   #5
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

I really hope they don't make this a 5S feature only. Guess it's time to start coding and see if the 5 can pull it off.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Lee-K
macrumors newbie

Would be nice if they finally introduced true a exposure compensation slider, even if an "advanced mode" needed to be enabled in settings or something.

I'd take that over a digital zoom slider any day. This is the one fatal flaw of the iPhone camera for me.
Lee-K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Porco
macrumors 68000

iOS 7: Now suitable for post-Blu-ray-release Ewoks!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:04 PM   #8
pmau
macrumors 6502a

WarpCore API

*/
CF_EXPORT
CFWarpDriveRef CFWarpDriveCreate(CFSpaceTimeRef dimension, const void **darkness, const void **eternity, CFIndex numHops, const CFWarpCallBacks *warpCallBacks, const CFSpeedCallBacks *speedCallBacks);

Look, I found a new Warp Drive API in CoreFoundation, near WarpCore.
You can create a EWarpDrive instance, define the dimension, darkness and eternity parameters and the number of hops you want to travel.

Each hop will cause a warpCallback into your App and the speedCallbacks let you place pins on the new 3D galaxy map API.

Use carefully.
pmau is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:08 PM   #9
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

Well as long as they don't pull an S4 gimmick and market eye-tracking as a huge feature. Cause it's not.
lotzosushi is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:17 PM   #10
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmau View Post
Code:
*/
CF_EXPORT
CFWarpDriveRef CFWarpDriveCreate(CFSpaceTimeRef dimension, const void **darkness, const void **eternity, CFIndex numHops, const CFWarpCallBacks *warpCallBacks, const CFSpeedCallBacks *speedCallBacks);
Look, I found a new Warp Drive API in CoreFoundation, near WarpCore.
You can create a EWarpDrive instance, define the dimension, darkness and eternity parameters and the number of hops you want to travel.

Each hop will cause a warpCallback into your App and the speedCallbacks let you place pins on the new 3D galaxy map API.

Use carefully.
Nice.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:17 PM   #11
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
Well as long as they don't pull an S4 gimmick and market eye-tracking as a huge feature. Cause it's not.
I've used the eye scroll feature on my friend's s4. Truly gimmicky!!
unlimitedx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:23 PM   #12
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Really? Complete redesign? This site has jumped on that completely false selling point catchphrase too?

FYI the latter 'complete' in that is the correct use of the word...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:24 PM   #13
donutbagel
Banned

Let's hope that it doesn't end up making people think that Apple is racist.

Last edited by donutbagel; Jun 26, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
donutbagel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Frisco
macrumors 68020

I don't know how I lived my 50 years of life without this technology. It makes my 50 years seem meaningless.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Stack Overflow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutbagel View Post
The code says something about a minimum OS X requirement. More artificial limitations? "The older iMac cannot provide the processing power required for blink detection."
It's not limiting it based on the hardware, it's limiting it based on the APIs the version of OS X contains. Only 10.9 has this (according to the code snippet).

You can't use a software feature that isn't contained in the software in question.
Stack Overflow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:39 PM   #16
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-K View Post
Would be nice if they finally introduced true a exposure compensation slider, even if an "advanced mode" needed to be enabled in settings or something.

I'd take that over a digital zoom slider any day. This is the one fatal flaw of the iPhone camera for me.
Since the introduction of HDR I don't think Apple would introduce an exposure manipulation feature in iOS ever. I would think it goes against what they believe in: making things "just work". There's always going to be a third-party app or tool that will have an exposure manipulation feature. From what I can tell, most people don't even really use the exposure control even if it's included. Some people don't even know it exists even though it's icon has always been present in their camera/camera app! I find this especially true for android users.
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:53 PM   #17
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack Overflow View Post
It's not limiting it based on the hardware, it's limiting it based on the APIs the version of OS X contains. Only 10.9 has this (according to the code snippet).

You can't use a software feature that isn't contained in the software in question.
Yes, but 10.9 won't support older Macs... but that could also be for other reasons. OK, I guess it's not really an artificial hardware limitation like turn-by-turn on Maps (not supported on iPhone 4) unless they disable blink detection on Macs that can run 10.9 but are somewhat old.
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

magical technology!
totally worth the upgrade!
Smartass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:06 PM   #19
CodexMonkey
macrumors member

Is there something preventing Apple from putting a timer on the camera app? Camera plus has it, but no HDR.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:21 PM   #20
inkhead
macrumors regular

So Apple is finally catching up with every single 3rd party facial recognition API available for free on the web? Most of these free APIs can also guess a gender, and if the user is wearing glasses.
inkhead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Mr.Dave
macrumors newbie

Sounds like typical Apple fashion here-taking an existing technology but delivering it in such a way that it appears new, seamless, and more polished than what competitors are doing. Nonetheless a minor but still cool feature to look forward to.
Mr.Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:47 PM   #22
xcodeaddict
Banned

I'm smiling and blinking, because I'm trying to work out where the attached image is...
xcodeaddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:49 PM   #23
Lee-K
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsterilite View Post
There's always going to be a third-party app or tool that will have an exposure manipulation feature.
There isn't a single one with a REAL exposure compensation. They only simulate it via live levels post processing.
Lee-K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:16 PM   #24
captain kaos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
I agree. I had an S3 and never used any of the fancy camera options. I found finding and selecting the options from the side menus slow and painful, you spent so much time faffing around and not taking the shot. For me i'd like basic colour filter options (which we are getting) and the same separate exposure and AF lock option you get on the CP Pro app. Face/smile/whatever detection i can do without.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:17 PM   #25
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Speaking of other enhancements, I've written three articles with never-before-published info on the new Camera features of iOS7 for both casual users and programmers. (Note that the first part of all these articles are meant for casual users and the second one for programmers.)

- Image Stabilization (how / why you may want to dis/enable it and why programmers are supposed to make it configurable on a fully-fledged AppStore camcorder app): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600908

- (lossless) zooming: iOS7 supports lossless zooming (to a degree), which produces far better quality than the old, crop-based zooming. In this article, I compare its actual quality to that of crop-based solutions (e.g., the stock Camera app) and also show the API: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1601763

- 60 fps video recording: this article, in addition to teaching everything not only 60 fps-related, but also parsing all properties of the new "AVCaptureDeviceFormat", also shows little-discussed areas of video recording, for example, getting the actual resolution of a video mode: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602171
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion