Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
bradl
macrumors 68030

Texas Senator attempts 13-hour Filibuster against Abortion Bill

Just caught this on the wire. I'm hoping she succeeds, even if just for the attempt to finish what she started. She's already survived some attempts to cede the floor, but if Rand Paul could do it, she can do it, too.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=195549307

Quote:
Texas Senator Filibusters Against Abortion Bill

by The Associated Press
June 25, 2013 6:37 PM

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) ó Wearing pink tennis shoes to prepare for nearly 13 consecutive hours of standing, a Democratic Texas state senator on Tuesday began a one-woman filibuster to block a GOP-led effort that would impose stringent new abortion restrictions across the nation's second-most populous state.

Sen. Wendy Davis, 50, of Fort Worth began the filibuster at 11:18 a.m. CDT Tuesday and passed the halfway mark in her countdown to midnight ó the deadline for the end of the 30-day special session.

Rules stipulate she remain standing, not lean on her desk or take any breaks ó even for meals or to use the bathroom. Colleagues removed her chair so she wouldn't sit down by mistake.

If signed into law, the measures would close almost every abortion clinic in Texas, a state 773 miles wide and 790 miles long with 26 million people. A woman living along the Mexico border or in West Texas would have to drive hundreds of miles to obtain an abortion if the law passes.

In her opening remarks, Davis said she was "rising on the floor today to humbly give voice to thousands of Texans" and called Republican efforts to pass the bill a "raw abuse of power."

Democrats chose Davis to lead the effort because of her background as a woman who had her first child as a teenager and went on to graduate from Harvard Law School.

In the hallway outside the Senate chamber, hundreds of women stood in line, waiting for people in the gallery to give up their seats. Women's rights supporters wore orange t-shirts to show their support for Davis, and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst had to remind those in the gallery that interrupting the proceedings could results in 48 hours in jail.

To stay sharp, Davis slowly circled her desk, pausing occasionally to read from a large binder on her desk. When a male protester stood in the Senate gallery and shouted, "abortion is genocide," Davis continued talking uninterrupted as the man was removed by security.

If the filibuster succeeds, it could also take down other measures. A proposal to fund major transportation projects as well as a bill to have Texas more closely conform with a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision banning mandatory sentences of life in prison without parole for offenders younger than 18 might not get votes. Current state law only allows a life sentence without parole for 17-year-olds convicted of capital murder.

Twice in the first six hours, anti-abortion lawmakers questioned her about the bills, presenting their arguments that the measure will protect women or that abortions were wrong. Davis answered their questions, but did not give up control of the floor as she stood next to her desk.

"This is really about women's health," said Sen, Bob Deuell, who introduced a requirement that all abortions take place in surgical centers, "Sometimes bad things can happen."

Davis questioned then why vasectomies and colonoscopies aren't also required to take place in such clinics.

"Because I've been unable to have a simple question answered to help me understand how this would lead to better care for women, I must question the underlying motive for doing so."

Davis used up large chunks of time reading into the record testimony from women and doctors who would be impacted by the changes, but were denied the opportunity to testify in a Republican-controlled committee because the chairman said the it was becoming repetitive.

During one heart-wrenching story describing a woman's difficult pregnancy, Davis choked up several times and wiped tears, but kept reading.

A petite woman who stays in shape by jogging and cycling, Davis tried to stay comfortable and sharp by shifting her weight from hip to hip and slowly walking around her desk while reading notes from a large binder on her desk.

Republicans watched her closely for any rules slipup that would allow them to break the filibuster and call the bill for a vote.

The bill would ban abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy and force many clinics that perform the procedure to upgrade their facilities and be classified as ambulatory surgical centers. Also, doctors would be required to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles ó a tall order in rural communities.

"If this passes, abortion would be virtually banned in the state of Texas, and many women could be forced to resort to dangerous and unsafe measures," said Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Action Fund and daughter of the late former Texas governor Ann Richards.

Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston, said the Democrats never should have been allowed to put Republicans "in a box" and complained that many in the Senate GOP were "flying by the seat of their pants."

But the bill's bogging down began with Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who summoned lawmakers back to work immediately after the regular legislative session ended May 27 but didn't add abortion to the special session to-do list until late in the process. The Legislature can only take up issues at the governor's direction.

Then, House Democrats succeeded in stalling nearly all night Sunday, keeping the bill from reaching the Senate until 11 a.m. Monday.

Debate in that chamber ranged from lawmakers waving coat-hangers on the floor and claiming the new rules are so draconian that women are going to be forced to head to drug war-torn Mexico to have abortions.

At one point, the bill's sponsor, Republican Rep. Jodie Laubenberg of Spring, errantly suggested that emergency room rape kits could be used to terminate pregnancies.
BL.

Last edited by bradl; Jun 25, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Good for her. It's glad to see someone stand up for what they believe in. It's bad that such petty measures need to be taken to ensure quality healthcare for women.
Ugg is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I'm glad that someone is filibustering this atrocity of a bill but did we really have to get here considering that it's DOA in the senate anyway, let alone this bill shouldn't have even been passed in the House to begin with?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:16 PM   #4
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
I'm glad that someone is filibustering this atrocity of a bill but did we really have to get here considering that it's DOA in the senate anyway, let alone this bill shouldn't have even been passed in the House to begin with?
I think you may have missed a bit here.. This is happening in the Texas State Senate, not the US Senate.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:12 PM   #5
MegamanX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Wrong senate. This is texas senate.
Problem is the fact Perry will turn around and call another special session because transportation bill is not passed and there is a school funding that has not been finished yet.

This means this abortion bill will be shoved on again. Special session is for big items that must be passed not crap like this yet again.
She is right this is massive abuse of power by the gop.
MegamanX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Josh125
macrumors regular

What specifically do you guys take issue with? I can't imagine aborting a baby at 20 weeks. Aside from that, the representatives are there to enact what their constituents want to see. I haven't seen a break down by district, however outside of the major population centers I can imagine that good number of citizens support this. Does anyone have a break down? A cursory google search didn't turn up much. I find it ironic that people are applauding her taking a stand, as do I regardless of which side I'm on, but belittle the folks on the other side who believe just as strongly.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:11 PM   #7
MegamanX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh125 View Post
What specifically do you guys take issue with? I can't imagine aborting a baby at 20 weeks. Aside from that, the representatives are there to enact what their constituents want to see. I haven't seen a break down by district, however outside of the major population centers I can imagine that good number of citizens support this. Does anyone have a break down? A cursory google search didn't turn up much. I find it ironic that people are applauding her taking a stand, as do I regardless of which side I'm on, but belittle the folks on the other side who believe just as strongly.
Doctor must do give medication, must have admitting privileges to a hospital with in 30 miles, and the center must have surgical status.
Effectively shutting down all but 5 centers in Texas.

Quote the lt Gov. "this bill effectively bans abortion in Texas" that quote alone proves this is not about protecting women's health.
MegamanX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegamanX View Post
Doctor must do give medication, must have admitting privileges to a hospital with in 30 miles, and the center must have surgical status.

Quote the lt Gov. "this bill effectively bans abortion in Texas" that quote alone proves this is not about protecting women's health.
Josh doesn't care about the facts.
Ugg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:01 AM   #9
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
I think you may have missed a bit here.. This is happening in the Texas State Senate, not the US Senate.

BL.
Quote:
Wrong senate. This is texas senate.
Problem is the fact Perry will turn around and call another special session because transportation bill is not passed and there is a school funding that has not been finished yet.

This means this abortion bill will be shoved on again. Special session is for big items that must be passed not crap like this yet again.
She is right this is massive abuse of power by the gop.

Thanks for the correction. Even still, why is something like this still being debated in 2013 in Texas? Oh that's right, it's Texas..... Never mind.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Here you go.

Quote:
Most Texas residents donít support Senate Bill 5, the omnibus anti-abortion bill currently advancing in the legislature, according to a new bipartisan poll. In fact, 80 percent of Texans donít want their lawmakers to be considering abortion-related bills during the special session that Gov. Rick Perry (R) convened at the beginning of the month.
Quote:
But Texas voters donít actually want any more restrictions on abortion in their state. After conducting a survey among a representative sample of state residents between June 17 and 19, the polling firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (GQR) found that 63 percent of registered voters think the Lone Star State already has enough anti-abortion laws on the books. Seventy one percent think the legislature should be more focused on the economy and jobs instead of social policies to police womenís reproductive rights.

Nearly three quarters of respondents said that personal medical decisions about whether to have an abortion should be made by a woman and her doctor, not by politicians. Fifty seven percent said they donít trust the Governor or the legislature to make choices about womenís health care. And that opposition cuts across party lines: The support for women to make their own reproductive decisions remains strong among both Independents (76 percent) and Republicans (61 percent).
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...s-oppose-sb-5/
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
So introduce a ban on abortion after 20 weeks and see if the Supreme Court shouts it down.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:16 AM   #12
MegamanX
Banned

Well I have to say my facebook feed was rather interesting and surprising this morning when I looked at it and not in a bad way.

You know something is wrong with the GOP who "claim" they are doing the will of the people who even the most conservative far right wing people I know on facebook are attacking the GOP over Abortion bill saying it is wrong and abuse of power.

That made me do a double take. The people I at least expect to attack the dems over the filibuster were agreeing with them. Tell me Texas GOP how do you explain you are doing the will of the people?
Hell I want to say it was 67%+ of people in Texas disagreed with the bill and said it should never of been brought up in special session. or was it 67% disagree with the bill and 80% say it hsould never of been tried to shove threw in special session. Either way that is a pretty strong majority of Texas AGAINST the bill.......
MegamanX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Josh125
macrumors regular

Quote:

Aside from the asinine comment by the Lt. Gov. I don't have an issue with the last part - must have surgical status. It's a surgical procedure. The second item, admitting privileges not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Josh doesn't care about the facts.
Fine commentary, Ugg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Here you go..
If the majority of the state feels this way then regardless of my beliefs I'm certainly glad to see it did not pass. That is the way things should work.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:29 PM   #14
MegamanX
Banned

Quote:
Aside from the asinine comment by the Lt. Gov. I don't have an issue with the last part - must have surgical status. It's a surgical procedure. The second item, admitting privileges not so much.
but things like a vasectomy does not require any of that stuff.

You have doctors DOCTORs who say this is crap. the medical boards say it is crap.

Time after time you see these requirements it shows that this is nothing more than to stop abortions.

Late term abortions yes I agree require surgical status. The 5 centers that would not close in texas all can and do do late term abortions. Problem is you up the requirements for all the others.
If you start looking at the list of items they require you see it is nothing more than a thinly vailed attack at trying to make abortions illegal.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:47 PM   #15
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:

You have doctors DOCTORs who say this is crap. the medical boards say it is crap.

Time after time you see these requirements it shows that this is nothing more than to stop abortions.

Late term abortions yes I agree require surgical status. The 5 centers that would not close in texas all can and do do late term abortions.
The problem with this is where those centers would be located. Texas is roughly 800 miles in distance in any direction, from Brownsville to Tucumcari, from El Paso to Port Arthur. It could be at least 300 - 400 miles to get to that center should this bill have passed. If this were an emergency that would call for an abortion, that is a long stretch for a woman to go, especially when she could lose not only the child's life, but her life as well. The Reds in this case did not take any of that into consideration, especially the men, because most don't have a clue about what they are talking about or dealing with when it comes to women's health and pregnancies.

BL.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:25 PM   #16
MegamanX
Banned

Quote:
The problem with this is where those centers would be located. Texas is roughly 800 miles in distance in any direction, from Brownsville to Tucumcari, from El Paso to Port Arthur. It could be at least 300 - 400 miles to get to that center should this bill have passed. If this were an emergency that would call for an abortion, that is a long stretch for a woman to go, especially when she could lose not only the child's life, but her life as well. The Reds in this case did not take any of that into consideration, especially the men, because most don't have a clue about what they are talking about or dealing with when it comes to women's health and pregnancies.

BL.

I believe a hospital could handle late term if it had to in a pinch. But you are right about the size of the state. The 5 centers that could stay would be In Austin, San Antonino, Dallas and 2 in Houston. If you notices that leaves people over having to go a very long distance to a lot of places if you are NOT located near one of those 5 cities. Also those 5 centers more than likely could not handle the influx from others closing down. Top it off I bet protestors would make it even harder.

It is sad that the representives for the most part only care about the far FAR right. They do not worry about the general they are only scared of their primaries. This means independent voters really have zero say in their elected officials.
MegamanX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:32 PM   #17
ckeck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to ckeck Send a message via AIM to ckeck
Quote:
The Reds in this case did not take any of that into consideration, especially the men, because most don't have a clue about what they are talking about or dealing with when it comes to women's health and pregnancies.
Oh yeah, I forgot that all reproductive doctors are women. You are pretty damn ignorant if you think "most" don't have a clue. I'd bet the percentage of men and women who have a decent understanding is closer than you think.

Worst argument ever.
ckeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeck View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot that all reproductive doctors are women. You are pretty damn ignorant if you think "most" don't have a clue. I'd bet the percentage of men and women who have a decent understanding is closer than you think.

Worst argument ever.
Not really. Watch the news: the guys making the decisions always seem to say brilliant things like "during a legitimate rape, the body had a way to shut that down." Hell, the women aren't much better. "Rape kits basically just clean the woman out...."
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Josh125
macrumors regular

Quote:

Late term abortions yes I agree require surgical status. The 5 centers that would not close in texas all can and do do late term abortions. Problem is you up the requirements for all the others.
If you start looking at the list of items they require you see it is nothing more than a thinly vailed attack at trying to make abortions illegal.
Interesting, I will conceded I simply don't know enough about it to determine if a vasectomy should be considered surgery. It certainly seems like it should, though.

To the member who said I should propose a ban on abortions after 20 weeks. It doesn't look like I have to as the house passed this last week. Obama has pledged to veto of course if it manages to make it through the senate.
Josh125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:39 PM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Worst argument ever.
Who needs doctors?

Meet Texas Republican Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, who had this to say while denying an exception for rape in the abortion bill Texas Republicans are in the process of jamming through the legislative process:

Quote:
In the emergency room, they have what's called rape kits, where a woman can get cleaned out.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:40 PM   #21
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Interesting, I will conceded I simply don't know enough about it to determine if a vasectomy should be considered surgery. It certainly seems like it should, though.
It's outpatient surgery. Low enough on the surgical totem pole that they snip your tubes, slap you on the ass, and send you on your way, but still difficult enough it has to be handled in the proper facilities.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:41 PM   #22
MegamanX
Banned

And now the dumb **** known as Rick Perry has called a second special session which will include this law which I honestly believe is illegal.

But lets face it this bill is not about protecting women's health. it is about trying to make abortions illegal which is already has precedence in the courts that say other wise.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:42 PM   #23
ckeck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to ckeck Send a message via AIM to ckeck
There are so many wrong assumptions in this thread. Just because some of these "centers" don't meet the qualifications now doesn't mean they can't or won't.

Did ANYONE read the damn bill? Let me help you:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...f/SB00005E.pdf

Quote:
On and after September 1, 2014, the minimum standards for an abortion facility must be equivalent to the minimum standards adopted under Section 243.010 for ambulatory surgical centers.
So these centers who don't qualify or meet the criteria today have over 14 months to get in compliance before closing (not closing immediately). Don't exaggerate the details.

Apparently this means little to so many, but choosing to abort a baby at 20 weeks or later (or earlier for that matter) is pretty damn sickening. It's medically proven that babies at this stage can feel PAIN, they are significantly developed, can hear, and the list goes on. Who gave this "right" to women to be able to choose the death of a living human? It's not just their body at this stage, it is also the baby, who clearly has no say in the matter.

It's always about science and facts until those don't support your end of the argument, and then it's about "women's rights". What about the child's rights?

There is another alternative if you are not in a position to raise that baby, it's called adoption. Quit being to damn selfish with life.

BTW, if a woman can't decide on whether or not to have an abortion by FIVE months into it, there is something wrong with that person.
ckeck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:49 PM   #24
MegamanX
Banned

Quote:
There are so many wrong assumptions in this thread. Just because some of these "centers" don't meet the qualifications now doesn't mean they can't or won't.

Did ANYONE read the damn bill? Let me help you:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...f/SB00005E.pdf

So these centers who don't qualify or meet the criteria today have over 14 months to get in compliance before closing (not closing immediately). Don't exaggerate the details.

Apparently this means little to so many, but choosing to abort a baby at 20 weeks or later (or earlier for that matter) is pretty damn sickening. It's medically proven that babies at this stage can feel PAIN, they are significantly developed, can hear, and the list goes on. Who gave this "right" to women to be able to choose the death of a living human? It's not just their body at this stage, it is also the baby, who clearly has no say in the matter.

It's always about science and facts until those don't support your end of the argument, and then it's about "women's rights". What about the child's rights?

There is another alternative if you are not in a position to raise that baby, it's called adoption. Quit being to damn selfish with life.

BTW, if a woman can't decide on whether or not to have an abortion by FIVE months into it, there is something wrong with that person.

have you looked up the cost of converting those centers.

It at around 2 million dollars a pop on the low end. Most of them are not making a profit right now and many of them do not have a hospitals with in 30 miles any how. Do not even pretend to think that most of them will do what is needed to stay open. It is safe to say the vast majority will close. END OF STORY.

This is about driving up the cost of those centers to the point that it very costly.

As for 20 weeks there are some medical test that can not be performed until week after week 20. Top it off there are not exceptions rape.

Damn facts ruining the argument.

As for your 20 week adaptoin argument. Tell me the group that is pushing so hard for this crap is also the same group that is cutting funding for prenatal care, cutting funding for early childhood development. cutting funding to help out the poor raise said kid. They refuse to do anything about sex education to prevent people getting pregnant in the first place. So get back to me when they start helping out the problem instead of making it worse.

But what do you expect from the GOP idiots logic and facts?

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Jun 27, 2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Removed insult
MegamanX is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:51 PM   #25
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Question is, why do they feel the need to change the already on-the-books and widely accepted late term abortion law?
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues