Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:43 AM   #1
cake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Anything positive about the MacBook Air LG screen?

Hi, I just got my first MacBook and it does indeed have an LG screen. Obviously I wish I got a Samsung one but trying to exchange it would be long and painful. Is there anything positive about the LG screen tho? I already have the corrected profile so it's less bad but still
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:49 AM   #2
jgbr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
You really should not get carried away with this nonsense of LG v Samsung, Both are different yes but it boils down very much to personal preference. Many on here want an 'out of the box' experience so will accept the contract of the samsung, where others who have the LG take the time to configure the profiles and screen. For average consumers yes they may want the simple router but afterall we should be calibrating screens to our eyes not the opinions of others.
jgbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:37 AM   #3
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
Hi, I just got my first MacBook and it does indeed have an LG screen. Obviously I wish I got a Samsung one but trying to exchange it would be long and painful. Is there anything positive about the LG screen tho? I already have the corrected profile so it's less bad but still
If you hadn't read the LG v Samsung thread would you be happy with your purchase?
kodeman53 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:09 AM   #4
cake1
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Well I guess it was the hype around this that gets me all obsessed with the screen. I haven't really used this computer yet since I'm currently at work
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:53 AM   #5
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
Hi, I just got my first MacBook and it does indeed have an LG screen. Obviously I wish I got a Samsung one but trying to exchange it would be long and painful. Is there anything positive about the LG screen tho? I already have the corrected profile so it's less bad but still
Let me ask this: what do you feel is bad about the screen, that the profile makes "less bad?"

Or are you saying it's bad because other people, are saying it's bad?

I have the LG screen, and I did what I do with all my Mac screens: I calibrated it myself to my tastes. And it's fine.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:01 AM   #6
sparkie7
macrumors 68000
 
sparkie7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I read that the LG is better for viewing porn. Something about it rendering more realistic skin tones. Gotta be a plus right?
sparkie7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:37 AM   #7
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
Hi, I just got my first MacBook and it does indeed have an LG screen. Obviously I wish I got a Samsung one but trying to exchange it would be long and painful. Is there anything positive about the LG screen tho? I already have the corrected profile so it's less bad but still
Seriously, this is the most idiotic thing ever. If you had never read the LG vs Samsung threads, you never would have cared. I had an LG screen on my 2011 and you know what? It was fine. In fact I preferred it! If you read ANY of the reviews, a simple calibration will make the LG screen practically perfect (there are even files floating around that set all the calibrations for you). My 2013 MBA has a Samsung screen and I don't like it. I'm used to my LG screen that I had for almost 2 years that the Samsung feels over saturated (because it is). Neither screen is perfect, but neither are bad. The LG just takes a couple minutes to fix and then I believe it is a superior screen.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:43 AM   #8
ilkevinli
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
You would have never cared until you saw a Samsung screen. Then you will care. I returned my 2013 air because it had and LG screen and the replacement screen thankfully came with a Samsung screen. IMHO, it's a big difference. Maybe it's because my 2012 Air had a Samsung screen and I am just use to it.






Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Seriously, this is the most idiotic thing ever. If you had never read the LG vs Samsung threads, you never would have cared. I had an LG screen on my 2011 and you know what? It was fine. In fact I preferred it! If you read ANY of the reviews, a simple calibration will make the LG screen practically perfect (there are even files floating around that set all the calibrations for you). My 2013 MBA has a Samsung screen and I don't like it. I'm used to my LG screen that I had for almost 2 years that the Samsung feels over saturated (because it is). Neither screen is perfect, but neither are bad. The LG just takes a couple minutes to fix and then I believe it is a superior screen.
ilkevinli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:51 AM   #9
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkevinli View Post
You would have never cared until you saw a Samsung screen. Then you will care. I returned my 2013 air because it had and LG screen and the replacement screen thankfully came with a Samsung screen. IMHO, it's a big difference. Maybe it's because my 2012 Air had a Samsung screen and I am just use to it.
Did you even read my post?!?! I have a 2013 WITH a Samsung display. I don't even like it after having using a Calibrated LG screen for almost 2 years....

So many reviews have been made comparing the two and basically once the LG display is calibrated there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. At that point they both have strengths and weaknesses. The Samsung is over saturated. If you like everything looking overly bright (I assume you like your tv's set to factory then), then the Samsung is for you. Me personally, I like more accurate colors.

Reading is fundamental!
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:59 AM   #10
ilkevinli
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
LOL ! Yes I read your post. You know what the say about people that assume ...... When I said you, I didn't mean you specifically. "You" was meant for all persons reading it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Did you even read my post?!?! I have a 2013 WITH a Samsung display. I don't even like it after having using a Calibrated LG screen for almost 2 years....

So many reviews have been made comparing the two and basically once the LG display is calibrated there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. At that point they both have strengths and weaknesses. The Samsung is over saturated. If you like everything looking overly bright (I assume you like your tv's set to factory then), then the Samsung is for you. Me personally, I like more accurate colors.

Reading is fundamental!
ilkevinli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
wermy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
I would have never even known there was a better screen out there (or inversely, I'd have never known my LG screen was inferior somehow) had I not read these forums. The screen looks great to me; viewing angles are nothing to write home about but other than that I have no complaints. And it looks even better after installing the fixed color profile. No complaints here.
wermy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:08 AM   #12
HiDEF
macrumors 6502a
 
HiDEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
Hi, I just got my first MacBook and it does indeed have an LG screen. Obviously I wish I got a Samsung one but trying to exchange it would be long and painful. Is there anything positive about the LG screen tho? I already have the corrected profile so it's less bad but still
I've never seen a Samsung display in person but I do have a LG panel with my new MBA; it's not bad. I'm using the Macrumors Color Profile and I'd say the saturation seems better.
__________________
Computer: Late 2009 Mac Mini
Tablet: iPad Mini Retina
Phone: iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T)
Phone: OnePlus One (AT&T) ROM: Mahdi
HiDEF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:18 AM   #13
cake1
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Okay, thanks you guys. I do feel better reading these comments. To be honest, with me being a software developer that screen will be displaying mostly text on white background so I guess it doesn't matter all that much. I will be home soon and we'll finally have time to test the computer.
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:19 AM   #14
wermy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
Okay, thanks you guys. I do feel better reading these comments. To be honest, with me being a software developer that screen will be displaying mostly text on white background so I guess it doesn't matter all that much. I will be home soon and we'll finally have time to test the computer.
Blasphemy! Light text on black background is the only way to go.
wermy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:29 AM   #15
HiDEF
macrumors 6502a
 
HiDEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
Okay, thanks you guys. I do feel better reading these comments. To be honest, with me being a software developer that screen will be displaying mostly text on white background so I guess it doesn't matter all that much. I will be home soon and we'll finally have time to test the computer.
Cool that we can assit.. Do keep us posted whether you return or stay with it.
__________________
Computer: Late 2009 Mac Mini
Tablet: iPad Mini Retina
Phone: iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T)
Phone: OnePlus One (AT&T) ROM: Mahdi
HiDEF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:39 AM   #16
mattferg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
Hi, I just got my first MacBook and it does indeed have an LG screen. Obviously I wish I got a Samsung one but trying to exchange it would be long and painful. Is there anything positive about the LG screen tho? I already have the corrected profile so it's less bad but still
The LG with the corrected profile is identical in colour to the Samsung, if not slightly better. With the LG it deals with gradients MUCH, MUCH better than the Samsung, and this is something you can't correct. So once the LG panel is colour corrected, it's probably actually the better one to have.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:43 AM   #17
HiDEF
macrumors 6502a
 
HiDEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Is there a better color profile than Macrumors icc? Or is it all subjective?

Anyone know?
__________________
Computer: Late 2009 Mac Mini
Tablet: iPad Mini Retina
Phone: iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T)
Phone: OnePlus One (AT&T) ROM: Mahdi
HiDEF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:19 AM   #18
JMountainDew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDEF View Post
Is there a better color profile than Macrumors icc? Or is it all subjective?

Anyone know?
I just downloaded the Macrumors icc and it's a very nice improvement to the original calibration. And yes, I bet it is subjective. I could've tweaked the calibration myself and be just as pleased.
JMountainDew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:21 AM   #19
HiDEF
macrumors 6502a
 
HiDEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMountainDew View Post
I just downloaded the Macrumors icc and it's a very nice improvement to the original calibration. And yes, I bet it is subjective. I could've tweaked the calibration myself and be just as pleased.
After calibration, do you still feel the need for a Samsung panel?
__________________
Computer: Late 2009 Mac Mini
Tablet: iPad Mini Retina
Phone: iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T)
Phone: OnePlus One (AT&T) ROM: Mahdi
HiDEF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:33 AM   #20
merkinmuffley
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Keep returning them until you get what you want.
merkinmuffley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:43 AM   #21
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
It's connected to a MacBook Air.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:45 AM   #22
cake1
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermy View Post
Blasphemy! Light text on black background is the only way to go.
Hahah i do get your point (:
I use a black background with light letters for all my terminal windows. For some reason however I find it easier to relax and think when my dev environment is with a light background (:
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:49 AM   #23
JMountainDew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDEF View Post
After calibration, do you still feel the need for a Samsung panel?
No, not at all. It looks just fine.
JMountainDew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:51 AM   #24
luisito
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
If you hadn't read the LG v Samsung thread would you be happy with your purchase?
Yep yep.

I've never read about the Samsung vs. LG screen hype and will never do. I am a happy customer with a great machine and a stunning display; threads like this make me wonder if the OP even knows what he is talking about, hehe.
__________________
Happy to own my first Apple product: Mid 2013 MBA i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD. (:
Happy to own my second Apple product: Blue iPod Shuffle 4th Generation. (:
luisito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #25
cake1
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
By the way i can give you my thoughts on my macbook air after having used it for 2 hours.
This is the most non-hot computer i have ever had. I do pretty much everything that i have to do and the temperature that i feel on the outside is pretty much the same as my body temperature.
Another thing the speakers of this thing are quite nice - I didnt expect that at all.
I guess the screen is just fine.
Anyways, if anyone is interested in something that i could check/be helpful with my new machine, do let me know.
I have the i5,8,256
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Pro Retina Screen Like Macbook Air tech324 MacBook Pro 1 Mar 17, 2014 11:03 PM
Macbook air screen rienhh MacBook 1 Jan 10, 2014 11:33 PM
All iPads: Only difference now is the screen size, that's a positive PDFierro iPad 2 Oct 23, 2013 02:53 PM
Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro Screen - And overall usage... blanco.juanfeli MacBook Pro 6 Sep 9, 2012 11:21 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC