Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I heard a new OS coming this fall?
I'm still on snow leopard

I dont like to get the newest OS right away because of incompatibility issues like when they moved to 64 bit a few years ago

Is mountain lion stable now or do you think its a better idea to get the OS on release that is coming this fall?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010

I dont like to get the newest OS right away because of incompatibility issues like when they moved to 64 bit a few years ago

Is mountain lion stable now or do you think its a better idea to get the OS on release that is coming this fall?

Mountain Lion is stable enough to use now IMO. Its on its .4 release and the .5 has just been seeded to developers to test. In essence ML is as stable as its going to get, after they release Mavericks their focus will shift. Many are already reporting however that Mavericks is faster and more similar to ML, so it might be worth to wait. At $20 however you're not loosing at lot of money, so if you're interested in upgrading now you can buy ML and install it on a separate partition to test, that way you can try it out without affecting all your files and needing to clean install afterwards.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

I just upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion and that was due to a couple of applications that required 10.8.

If there are features or applications that you want or need that requires Lion or Mountain Lion, then upgrade to Mountain Lion. I presume you wouldn't be interested in upgrading to Mavericks until one or 2 patches have been released which would put that upgrade into early next year for you.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Eh??? Updating any version of OS X will have no effect on an app, whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit. I have both types running on 10.8, and you could have both types running on Snow Leopard.

There are still plenty of bugs in Mountain Lion. No doubt there will be plenty of bugs in the initial release of Mavericks. You will get more for your money by waiting for Mavericks, however.

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
snow leopard was when apple went 64bit mainstream
when it was first released many programs were not natively compatible and you had to go into some secret options and run each individual program as 32bit in compatibility mode on the 64bit OS

however, it's true that is not a problem anymore but there are other issues with new OS' to consider, that was just an example.

another example could be drivers, drivers, drivers... what if upgrading to a new OS and your printer stops working?? I don't like dealing with that kind of crap that is why I'd rather not be a first adopter on such issues.

anyway, thanx for the replies. I guess I'll give it a bit more thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.