Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miHHnik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Kraków, Poland
Hi

i have a problem with my mac mini (mid 2011)

yesterday i turn on mini and after about a half hour monitor started flashing and turned off.

I tried turn on mac several times without result. Now, during starting system screen is with strips and after that is gray screen.

I tried do what i found on support apple web site:
- Disconnect, test peripheral devices and network cables
- Perform a Safe Boot
- Reset the NVRAM / PRAM
no result

link to image with screenshot
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7065/np6m.jpg

is anybody who had the same problem?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you have any other display or TV to test it with? What connection do you use on the display (DisplayPort, DVI, VGA or HDMI) and if it has other connection interfaces, have you tried those?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Do you have any other display or TV to test it with? What connection do you use on the display (DisplayPort, DVI, VGA or HDMI) and if it has other connection interfaces, have you tried those?

and the flip side of the above is to try the monitor with another device (laptop, pc).

Last year my 10 year old monitor died and I used the above to determine that it was the monitor vs the computer that had gone bad.

miHHnik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Kraków, Poland
i tested mini with another monitor and it was the same - strips and gray

my originally monitor is NEC and i use DVI-HDMI adapter

after job i will try connect to TV with HDMI directly - maybe adapter is broken.

it is possible at all?

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012

after job i will try connect to TV with HDMI directly - maybe adapter is broken.

it is possible at all?

I've had an adapter die recently. It looked like the monitor had died until I quickly isolated out the adapter.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Could be a problem with the cable, or a connector.

The approach should be to isolate and individually test each element. Unfortunately, this usually means you need a spare element that's known good. Sometimes one can simply borrow, such as borrowing a computer to test the cable and monitor in combination. Other things are harder to just borrow.

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013

it is possible at all?

I've had an official Apple MiniDP-DVI adapter flake out to the point where it was unusable (flashing, "snow", etc.) so I guess it's possible.

miHHnik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Kraków, Poland
I tested mini with TV with HDMI only and it was the same. I've checked RAM too - no result.

So i will sent mini to the service

thanks for all suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.