Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Avid Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11 Now Available

First announced in April, Avid's upgraded video editing and audio production tools, Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11, are now available for purchase.

Media Composer 7, Avid's professional video editing software, is being offered at a significant discount though it offers a number of new features including FrameFlex tools and automated media management tasks.
Quote:
Media Composer is the most widely used NLE for professional film and video editing. With Media Composer 7, you gain accelerated high-res-to-HD workflows, automated media management, and Interplay Sphere for Mac support (Media Composer 7 Interplay Edition only--available from Avid resellers and sales reps, extending real-time production everywhere. Experience the fastest file-based media workflows, ACE-certified tools, and the most trusted media management in the industry, now at a lower price.
ProTools 11, which launched last week, is Avid's flagship audio production software. The updated version features the new Avid Audio Engine for increased processing power, additional virtual instruments and effects, and 64-bit performance. Among other upgrades, It also comes equipped with an optimized Workspace Browser and new key command workflows for improved efficiency.
Quote:
The most powerful digital audio workstation just got more powerful. Pro Tools 11 redefines professional music and audio production for today's workflows. From all-new audio and video engines and turbocharged 64-bit performance, to expanded metering and new HD video workflows, Pro Tools 11 enables you to take on the most demanding sessions and maximize your creativity--without holding anything back.
Both Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11 can be purchased from the Avid Store for $999 and $699, respectively. Older Pro Tools users can upgrade with a $300-$500 fee. Existing Media Composer users can upgrade to version 7 for $299 to $399.

While the Media Composer 7 Interplay Edition ($1,499) is not available through the Avid website and must be purchased from an Avid reseller or sales rep, the Symphony Option can be purchased separately for $1,499.

Article Link: Avid Media Composer 7 and Pro Tools 11 Now Available
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:49 PM   #2
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Definitely looking forward to seeing what ProTools 11 brings to the table. But I'm more excited about Logic Pro X
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:50 PM   #3
chumawumba
Banned

Hurry up and update Final Cut to be more usable!
chumawumba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
milo
macrumors 603

PT11 has been out about a week or so already.

And I'm also way more excited about Logic 10, hopefully not too much longer.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:02 PM   #5
HMI
macrumors 6502a

This is good news!

Also..
RIP Larry Rubin! You will be missed!
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
ghost187
macrumors regular

iWork, Logic, Aperture, etc... All have been delayed for a very long time. My guess is they don't know how to charge for an update. This is a very delicate matter. If they introduce paid updates, they may just loose the App Store over night. Therefore they have been doing major updates but avoid calling them a new version for years now, but they eventually have to do something about this. Honestly for the sake of iOS devices they have to swallow the cost and make Logic X update free to anyone who purchased it on the App Store.
ghost187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:28 PM   #7
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
What does that have to do with this article?
FrizzleFryBen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Viddrumr32
macrumors newbie

Subscription

I really wish Avid would offer a subscription in addition to their full priced model. Perhaps this may happen, for the longest time I didn't think they would open up their software to be used with other hardware interfaces besides their own. Maybe by the time PT15 comes out.
Viddrumr32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9
pietrociao
macrumors newbie

It has a lot to do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizzleFryBen View Post
What does that have to do with this article?
Final Cut is the direct competitor for Avid. FC is from Apple. This is an Apple forum. It has a lot to do..
pietrociao is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:42 PM   #10
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrociao View Post
Final Cut is the direct competitor for Avid. FC is from Apple. This is an Apple forum. It has a lot to do..
All I heard was a rant about a competing product
FrizzleFryBen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:43 PM   #11
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

although it a bit pricey, i will definitely buy this great app. the best i've ever seen.
blitzer09x87 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:45 PM   #12
goodcow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost187 View Post
iWork, Logic, Aperture, etc... All have been delayed for a very long time. My guess is they don't know how to charge for an update. This is a very delicate matter. If they introduce paid updates, they may just loose the App Store over night. Therefore they have been doing major updates but avoid calling them a new version for years now, but they eventually have to do something about this. Honestly for the sake of iOS devices they have to swallow the cost and make Logic X update free to anyone who purchased it on the App Store.
Why is this such a big deal? Just name the App with a version number or year after it.

Pages 2013 or Pages 2.
Final Cut Pro 2013 or Final Cut Pro X 2.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:46 PM   #13
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Please, what takes 2 steps in Final Cut takes 10 steps in Avid. Avid has to have the least intuitive and most cumbersome interface ever.

I went to school for Communication Technology & Media and graduated last year. We used both Avid & FCP7. Using Avid felt like I was stepping back 10 years compared to FCP7.

FCPX, although still lacking some of the more advanced features of FCP7, is a major step forward. It's definitely usable but I agree if they update it to include all the features it's missing from FCP7, it will be awesome.

Quote:
I think they're being delayed because they're being redesigned to take advantage of new technologies in the new operating system due out later this year (along with the new Mac Pro & MBPs). I bet we'll see new versions of these software once these new hardware and software comes out.

Last edited by zioxide; Jun 27, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Sackvillenb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well, it really shouldn't be that complicated. Just make a new version, charge X number of dollars for it, and then use a different redemption code or something at a lower price for those that already own the previous version, to provide a cheaper upgrade cost (as opposed to buying it "fresh" and at full price). With the app store, it's easy to see if someone already has the older version of the app registered to that Apple ID.

I'm really looking forward to Logic X. I hope it has some really good features to help it stay capable and competitive against the new Pro Tools and Ableton. And it could definitely use some workflow and efficiency enhancements
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:56 PM   #15
beaniemyman
Banned

trying my level best to save my pocket money for this app, i used the last one at my friend's house, it was awesome.
beaniemyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:03 PM   #16
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
I think they will release new versions of these apps to coincide with the release of the new MacPro. The apps will be optimized to use the benefits of OpenCL. At least this is what they should do. Imho...
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:28 PM   #17
BrandoFiasco
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Please, what takes 2 steps in Final Cut takes 10 steps in Avid. Avid has to have the least intuitive and most cumbersome interface ever.

I went to school for Communication Technology & Media and graduated last year. We used both Avid & FCP7. Using Avid felt like I was stepping back 10 years compared to FCP7.
I'm with you on this one. I recently started working at a Post-Production house that only uses Avid and I just dont understand. Granted the media management is great but other than that, the interface and the tools just dont seem to operate...naturally, I guess you can say. I bounce around and have done work professionally using FCP7, Premiere and After Effects, but jumping into Avid....I feel like such a noob!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:37 PM   #18
kennethsteven
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandoFiasco View Post
I'm with you on this one. I recently started working at a Post-Production house that only uses Avid and I just dont understand. Granted the media management is great but other than that, the interface and the tools just dont seem to operate...naturally, I guess you can say. I bounce around and have done work professionally using FCP7, Premiere and After Effects, but jumping into Avid....I feel like such a noob!
I was in the same situation. But after being forced to use Avid for the past two years, with the updates Avid has made, I can totally understand its strengths, and I would not want to go back to any version of FCP. Especially when working collaboratively, there are just things FCP cannot do that are easy in Avid. Avid, Photoshop and After Effects is all you need.
kennethsteven is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:58 PM   #19
nerdynerdynerdy
macrumors newbie

There's a reason why Avid is the most widely used pro-level NLE in the world, and the choice of most high-end facilities.

There is a steep learning curve, but I guarantee you that behind what looks like a clunky old-fashioned interface is a powerful and very fast application.

If you think that Avid needs ten steps to Final Cut's one or two, I suggest you jump on an Avid forum and start asking questions. There are many ways to achieve tasks in Avid, you just need to understand them.

I've been a professional editor for 15 years, and while I'm a big Apple fan and run my Avid on a Mac Pro, FCP isn't an option for me.
nerdynerdynerdy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:38 PM   #20
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

What hefty investment. Glad I'm in the FCP-X Camp and the rest of Apple's Pro Tools.

Pass on this overpriced past.
mdriftmeyer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:47 PM   #21
LaDirection
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
I DESPISE what Apple did with Final Cut "Pro" X, a quick search of my comments will support that statement, yet I completely agree with your statement.

After Apple killed off it's professional line of video post-production softwares I tried to switch to Media Composer 6. There is absolutely NO WAY in hell that piece of archaic garbage can cut it (no pun intended) even next to the old Final Cut Pro. I'd rather use fricking Lighworks. It is absolutely dreadful and counterproductive.

As for their statement that Avid MC is the most widely used NLE, it is complete Bull. The most used NLE currently on the market be it in TV or film is still the old Final Cut Pro, believe it or not.

Damn Apple, what have you done!?
LaDirection is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:47 PM   #22
mikeandbecka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDirection View Post
I DESPISE what Apple did with Final Cut "Pro" X, a quick search of my comments will support that statement, yet I completely agree with your statement.

Damn Apple, what have you done!?
Couldn't disagree more!! Obviously you haven't really tried it out since version 10.0.0. Poorly misinformed! FCPX runs circles around 7!
mikeandbecka is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:56 PM   #23
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandoFiasco View Post
Give it time and learn to love the keyboard shortcuts. It may seem weird at first, but you will eventually learn why professionals love it so much!
HMI is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:16 AM   #24
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDirection View Post
As for their statement that Avid MC is the most widely used NLE, it is complete Bull. The most used NLE currently on the market be it in TV or film is still the old Final Cut Pro, believe it or not.
I take it you don't actually work in Hollywood? It's mostly small stuff (independent films, student films) that is Final Cut. But with any major networks or film studios, it's something like 80 or 90% Avid.
tk421 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:43 AM   #25
ytk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
I take it you don't actually work in Hollywood? It's mostly small stuff (independent films, student films) that is Final Cut. But with any major networks or film studios, it's something like 80 or 90% Avid.
Yeah, pretty much. Even the few shows that were on FCP7 are starting to move to Avid in the wake of Apple's abandonment of the pro market. And FCPX's penetration into the pro market stands at about -2% (with a 2% margin of error).
ytk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion