Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Foxconn Announces iPhone-Compatible Smart Wristband

Foxconn has announced a new smart wristband that can measure vital signs like respiration and heartbeat, and also check phone calls and Facebook posts, according to a report from the Want China Times.

Terry Gou, the head of Hon Hai Precision Industry -- the name of Foxconn's parent company -- said the company's research groups are looking to add fingerprint identification to the product as well. The device can make suggestions to the wearer on ways to improve their health if vital signs are out of the optimal range.

Quote:
Hon Hai chairman Terry Gou said his company's wireless communications and medical research groups also plan to add new features such as fingerprint identification to the gadget in the future, to help record personal health data.

"With such a device, you can keep your phone in your pocket and simply check all kinds of messages on your watch," Gou told shareholders.
Wearable computers are a quickly developing market, with devices like the Nike FuelBand -- which Tim Cook wears -- and the Fitbit Flex wristband making inroads with consumers, while prototype devices like Google Glass have captured the attention of tech-savvy types.

Apple is actively developing wearable devices, including a smart watch with a curved glass screen. It's been reported that Apple has a team of 100 working on its smart watch project, and that the device's development has moved beyond the experimental phase.

Article Link: Foxconn Announces iPhone-Compatible Smart Wristband
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
flash84x
macrumors regular

Do they use this to make sure their factory workers are alive?
flash84x is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
komodrone
Banned

hold on, let me check my heart rate.
*unlock iPhone with pass code*
*download Foxconn app*
*input iTunes password to download app*
*launch Foxconn app, (Please scan your finger to secure your data)*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*
*120 bpm*

"That's a bit high for resting...innit?"
komodrone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
RJCP
macrumors 6502

I wonder how many defective iPhones sneaked past their quality control while they were busy with an effin' useless wrist band.
RJCP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Red Oak
macrumors member

Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.

As if "we'll spend whatever it takes" is how you get there
Red Oak is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.
And hardware too. That thing is ugly
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:28 PM   #7
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Other features not announced:

- GPS tracking of workers
- Health alert STATS on each worker for quick assembly line replacement
- Tracking worker hours
- Tracking employee stat's
- Electroshock if employee is behind their hourly assembly quota
- "Invisible Fence" partnership for added geo-fencing employees
- Tracking distance to ground level for each employee based on station
- Passbook support for docking meals from pay

*Neck collar coming soon
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:32 PM   #8
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
no body's said it yet but, this is the best looking smart watch/app I've seen.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:42 PM   #9
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

All the Foxconn jokes while ignoring that we're all dependent on them. It's not just Apple using them. Most consumer electronics coming out of China use them. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Dell, Sony, and most everyone else us Foxconn. Thats why it was funny when Apple was the only one getting crap for using them as everyone else does too.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:42 PM   #10
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
That's handy, I've often wondered whether I breath or circulate blood.

Quote:
Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verniesgarden View Post
no body's said it yet but, this is the best looking smart watch/app I've seen.
But it has no screen - how can it be a watch?
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Aidyn's X
macrumors regular

How is checking Facebook on this any easier than doing so on the app on your phone considering this has no screen and you have to go through an app to see that anyway? Or are they saying it will post to facebook for you? What is it posting? Your pulse?
Aidyn's X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz0 View Post
Maybe it's not a watch. It's a "listen".
Solomani is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:51 PM   #13
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
That thing is ugly
Hardly a wristband, it looks like a lump of black play-doh!, wrapped around a wrist. And it looks like it weighs a tonne.

(And then…) I can't wait to see how it checks calls and Facebook. Does it read them to you ???

So rather than put the phone to your ear, you put your watch to your ear???

"Check this out"… um. Maybe social media will go from pictures to audio, so people can hear things without checking their screen???

This just gets better all the time.
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:00 PM   #14
dennno
macrumors regular

It won't have the "Designed by Apple" mark on it.
dennno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:12 PM   #15
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Is this part of their business diversification strategy that was reported by MR late last month?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1587485

Probably a good move for them, however.....

Quote:
Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.....
I wouldn't go so far as to ring the alarm bells yet, but definitely something for APPLE to keep in mind, when dealing with FOXCONN, and for the APPLE lawyers to make sure those contracts are 'airtight'.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:22 PM   #16
Timster83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It's not so dissimilar to HTC's beginnings. They started out making carrier-branded devices, before becoming a consumer brand in their own right, probably around the time of WM6.

Quote:
They only need to start churning out cheap Android devices which are higher specced than the competition. If they do this, there's no reason why they can't cannibalise market share from players like HTC, as well as adding new share from those consumers looking for a cheap first smartphone.
Timster83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:48 PM   #17
lk400
macrumors 6502

Double post
lk400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:49 PM   #18
esaleris
macrumors 6502

It's a chubby NIKE Fuelband.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:50 PM   #19
lk400
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Do they not have the right to do whatever they see as a solid business strategy? If they have a lot of cash from making things for others, and have learned a lot along the way, why cant they hire who they want, and do what they want? Coming on super strong and pumping a lot of cash into a new business wont turn them into a serious competitor overnight, but give it a few years and it would certainly fast track it. This is kind of what the big Japanese companies did a few decades ago - and it certainly worked for them.

I say good luck to them - maybe this device is not going to be a blockbuster, but maybe in a few generations time.
lk400 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:31 PM   #20
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
And hardware too. That thing is ugly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz0 View Post
That's handy, I've often wondered whether I breath or circulate blood.

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timster83 View Post
It's not so dissimilar to HTC's beginnings. They started out making carrier-branded devices, before becoming a consumer brand in their own right, probably around the time of WM6.

They only need to start churning out cheap Android devices which are higher specced than the competition. If they do this, there's no reason why they can't cannibalise market share from players like HTC, as well as adding new share from those consumers looking for a cheap first smartphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lk400 View Post
Do they not have the right to do whatever they see as a solid business strategy? If they have a lot of cash from making things for others, and have learned a lot along the way, why cant they hire who they want, and do what they want? Coming on super strong and pumping a lot of cash into a new business wont turn them into a serious competitor overnight, but give it a few years and it would certainly fast track it. This is kind of what the big Japanese companies did a few decades ago - and it certainly worked for them.

I say good luck to them - maybe this device is not going to be a blockbuster, but maybe in a few generations time.
So the first time any of you ever heard of Foxconn was when Apple decided to use them to fab devices and in that brilliance decided since you never heard of them they NEVER did their own branded things before. How shortsighted to not be able to see past ignorance.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:42 AM   #21
SvenSvenson
macrumors regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
hold on, let me check my heart rate.
*unlock iPhone with pass code*
*download Foxconn app*
*input iTunes password to download app*
*launch Foxconn app, (Please scan your finger to secure your data)*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*
*120 bpm*

"That's a bit high for resting...innit?"
You forgot the step to delete the App, otherwise why would you have to download it each time and without *those* steps, your critique looks a bit weak...
SvenSvenson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:30 AM   #22
4np
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a hoax, as Hon Hai's product as seen in the picture is in fact the W/Me from Kickstarter (i backed):

4np is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:54 AM   #23
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Is this part of their business diversification strategy that was reported by MR late last month?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1587485

Probably a good move for them, however.....

I wouldn't go so far as to ring the alarm bells yet, but definitely something for APPLE to keep in mind, when dealing with FOXCONN, and for the APPLE lawyers to make sure those contracts are 'airtight'.
Why do you shout company names?
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:00 AM   #24
litmag01
macrumors regular

One more small step

Is it me or do all these companies seem to be taking baybysteps with wearable technology. Not that its a bad start, but there has to be something better to do than using app-linked-hardware simply to monitor vital signs and golf-shot distance. Its like the development process is run by healthcare providers training for the PGA.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:02 AM   #25
Oldschoolers
macrumors member

Quote:

Foxconn and other large CMs already do hardware and software designs, but you don't hear about them because they are branded under other OEMs. This is not a business model they are developing, it's been in use for a long time.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion