Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I pretty much know why (in a way) but... why? I'm thinking the steel that some buildings are constructed of block the signal. But that doesn't happen in all buildings. Like my daughter's school, I have no signal at all. And I was in a hospital today. Nothing. But I've been in other hospitals and schools and have had full signal. And that signal wasn't WiFi. Why is that?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I pretty much know why (in a way) but... why? I'm thinking the steel that some buildings are constructed of block the signal. But that doesn't happen in all buildings. Like my daughter's school, I have no signal at all. And I was in a hospital today. Nothing. But I've been in other hospitals and schools and have had full signal. And that signal wasn't WiFi. Why is that?

Proximity to your providers tower also plays a lot in the reason why. You may have had full signal in some of those places if the tower was nearby or even on the building itself.

Additionally, some places use BDA's or bi-directional amplifiers, inside their facilities to boost cellular signals for the people inside where the tower's signal just isn't effective enough.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
At the college I go to, most of the buildings except for the 2 newer ones are built out of cement block, and I basically go down to 1 bar and no data when in those buildings. Campus wifi comes from one location, and doesn't reach through the buildings.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Why worry something u have no control over? Unless you are a firefighter and your life depends on the radio no matter how deep you are in a building.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Proximity to towers.

Some places have in building repeaters, common for hospitals for reliable communications.

Brick is a strong absorber of RF energy. Lot of schools are cinder block.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Why worry something u have no control over? Unless you are a firefighter and your life depends on the radio no matter how deep you are in a building.

I don't think that's what he means. It appears to me he is asking so he can have knowledge and understanding of the reasons why he either has signal in a place or doesn't. There's no harm in asking.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Think about all of the obstacles that the signal has to travel through. The typical office building is god awful for reception because of the design of the building. Cables run through floors, ceilings, etc, fluorescent lights, metal used all throughout, and many other electronics. All of those sorts of things can and will cause interference with your cell reception.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I don't think that's what he means. It appears to me he is asking so he can have knowledge and understanding of the reasons why he either has signal in a place or doesn't. There's no harm in asking.

Yup, nothing wrong with learning something new! :)

Think about all of the obstacles that the signal has to travel through. The typical office building is god awful for reception because of the design of the building. Cables run through floors, ceilings, etc, fluorescent lights, metal used all throughout, and many other electronics. All of those sorts of things can and will cause interference with your cell reception.

I can go 50 feet into the local high school and have absolutely no signal. While I can go into the elementary or middle school a half mile away and have at least 2-3 bars.

I started to really think about this tonight while in a hospital. No signal. But I've been in other hospitals and had full signal.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
alot of it has to do more with the actual frequency of the signal, more than it does with the proximity to the tower. this is an age old question, that gets beaten to death time and time again. the good old CDMA vs GSM, 850 vs 1900 mhz building penetration.

the lower frequencies, like at&t's 850 mhz, penetrate buildings better than lets say verizon or t-mobiles 1900. in fact, the building im in now has full signal outside on both at&t and verizon phones, however inside verizon's signal drops down to one bar and at&t's stays at full signal. you can scour the web all night for this, as there are plenty of articles discussing the effects of radio signal/frequency/building penetration. pair the above with the different types of building construction and you have alot of variables.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

But you are not gonna get an answer, to the point of being able to do anything about it, that's what I mean.

There are of course many variables. So OK you learn what those are. So now what? When you get into a building, do they post signs on different rooms that says, faraday cage here, expect bad cellular signal! Nope.

OK you want to be a radio engineer? fine, get a degree, I don't think browsing through Wiki will be enough.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
But you are not gonna get an answer, to the point of being able to do anything about it, that's what I mean.

There are of course many variables. So OK you learn what those are. So now what? When you get into a building, do they post signs on different rooms that says, faraday cage here, expect bad cellular signal! Nope.

OK you want to be a radio engineer? fine, get a degree, I don't think browsing through Wiki will be enough.

Why are you being so negative towards this member? He's merely asking a question so he can understand the reasoning behind the signal. I didn't see anywhere, where he was going on a mission to change things once he found out.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I can go 50 feet into the local high school and have absolutely no signal. While I can go into the elementary or middle school a half mile away and have at least 2-3 bars.

I started to really think about this tonight while in a hospital. No signal. But I've been in other hospitals and had full signal.
Many schools are brick, large cinder block. Brick has high RF absorption. That is not surprising for schools. But different schools are built differently, and are different distances from towers.

Some hospitals use in building signal boosters fir interior cellular coverage.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I have installed in building cell systems in NYC for buildings with poor cell signal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 409

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Why are you being so negative towards this member? He's merely asking a question so he can understand the reasoning behind the signal. I didn't see anywhere, where he was going on a mission to change things once he found out.

Based on post posts [and spelling] he's a 12 or 13 year old who knows everything and has to let everyone else know that he does.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Since we're talking about schools and hospitals, places where they usually frown upon usage of cell phones, one reason might be that they've installed signal jammers.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Can you provide actual examples of this in a school or hospital?

Which law specifically prohibits this practice?

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

Jamming Cell Phones and GPS Equipment is Against the Law

In recent years, the number of websites offering “cell jammers” or similar devices designed to block communications and create a “quiet zone” in vehicles, schools, theaters, restaurants, and other places has increased substantially. While these devices are marketed under different names, such as signal blockers, GPS jammers, or text stoppers, they have the same purpose. We remind and warn consumers that it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi. Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

In recent years, the number of websites offering “cell jammers” or similar devices designed to block communications and create a “quiet zone” in vehicles, schools, theaters, restaurants, and other places has increased substantially. While these devices are marketed under different names, such as signal blockers, GPS jammers, or text stoppers, they have the same purpose. We remind and warn consumers that it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi. Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.

Thank you for that. :)

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA

Hotels do this so you have to buy their wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.