Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I recently got a purse that has a magnetic compartment where my iphone would fit, it also has slots for credit cards and my ID card.

will the magnets cause problems with my items?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Wow, about 320 views and no reply, nobody here uses a purse? or has female relatives or friends who carry apple products in a purse?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The magnet won't cause a problem with your iPhone. I think that's the extent of the expert advice you'll get from an Apple product forum. No idea if it will affect your credit cards but I would guess not, otherwise the manufacturer wouldn't have put those slots in there???

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I recently got a purse that has a magnetic compartment where my iphone would fit, it also has slots for credit cards and my ID card.

will the magnets cause problems with my items?

No, the magnet will not hurt your credit cards. I carry a wallet/money clip gadget and the money clip uses a fairly strong magnet to hold the bills and it is right on top of the credit cards. Never had a problem.

Now what it will kill is those rewritable hotel key cards. Get one of those anywhere near a magnet and it is dead.

There was a Myth Busters episode on this.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Now what it will kill is those rewritable hotel key cards. Get one of those anywhere near a magnet and it is dead.

There was a Myth Busters episode on this.

:eek: No wonder! I was in a hotel last week and my first card wouldn't work. So I had to get it replaced. It worked at first, but then it stopped working again. I had my iPad Mini on the table where I kept it while I was just killing time. The magnet is pretty strong on it, being that you can stick a stylus to it, and then I always have issues with it turning my MacBook Pro off.

As for the purse magnets, those wouldn't be as strong. 1) Because it's probably just a slight coating (as in what they use in whiteboards), and 2) Because it's only strong enough to keep the compartment sealed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.