Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Persian Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Persia!
When I wanted to buy the rmbp I visited the apple webpage about it. It said "Breakthrough Speakers...". When I tested the sound myself it was great for such a slim notebook. I haven't heard any ultrabooks sound this good except some that have an external woofer like asus which are not really portable with the notebook. Recently I became curious about the 17" mbp. I haven't seen any 17" MacBooks myself yet. But from the pictures I can see it has large areas for speakers. Have you heard how a 17" mbp sounds? Does the Retina mbp use a newer technology that it even sounds better than the 17" macbook? I just became curious about how notebooks sound. If you're interested reply about your experiences.;)

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Unfortunately Apple no longer sells the 17" MBP, so not sure if the comparison is relevant. Speakers in the rMBP are pretty good for such a thin laptop, although I am not sure I would call them breakthrough.

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
I want to be honest here. I love my old rmbp MacBook Pro, but I had to return it due to some noises.

I love the screen BUT not the sound quality. I mean rmbp speaker is good but NOT great for the price!
I owned Dell XPS 15 which had a Wave Maxxaudio. My dell sound quality is much better than rmbp. The sound is more natural than rmbp.
I love watching movies on my laptop, that is why the speaker quality is really important to me.

Persian Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Persia!
The 17" MBP's speakers really boom in comparison to other models. I've had 15" and 13" and now, 11", they all sound tiny compared to the 17".

Here's a video I saw on Youtube (speaker comparison midway through):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ha_9CdY6c

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks for sharing the video. I thought the 17" macbook pro is a passé but it still competes with the retina at some areas like the sound and gaming graphics. Could have made me skeptical at purchase.;)

Last edited:

CARABAO

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for sharing the video. I thought the 17" macbook pro is a passé but it still competes with the retina at some areas like the sound and gaming graphics. Could have made me skeptical at purchase.;)

Sure thing brother. But actually, nothing beats listening to music with a very boomy pair of earphones / sound system. Enjoy your laptop, im sure you'll have a great time with it :)

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Great video comparison

This is why I love my "true King" of notebooks the 17" MacBook Pro.

This fangurl is totally satisfied!

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Fortunately..

Unfortunately Apple no longer sells the 17" MBP, so not sure if the comparison is relevant. Speakers in the rMBP are pretty good for such a thin laptop, although I am not sure I would call them breakthrough.

Fortunately they still have awesome refurbs. Don't wait. Just jump in and never look back.

Also- actually - my 2006 17"MBP has even richer lows and more solid body in terms of sound quality

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can only say going from a 13" MBP to a 15" rMBP that the sound improved. I'm happy with the 15" rMBP's speakers.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I thought the 17" macbook pro is a passé but it still competes with the retina at some areas like the sound and gaming graphics.
Is a what?:confused:

422795.jpg

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I want to be honest here. I love my old rmbp MacBook Pro, but I had to return it due to some noises.

what were ythese noises u speak of?

I love the screen BUT not the sound quality. I mean rmbp speaker is good but NOT great for the price!
I owned Dell XPS 15 which had a Wave Maxxaudio. My dell sound quality is much better than rmbp. The sound is more natural than rmbp.
I love watching movies on my laptop, that is why the speaker quality is really important to me.

the sound in the retina were much clearer and louder then my cmpr 15"

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
When I compared the 17" vs 15" rMBP back to back, the audio was much clearer, with more depth from the 17"

Persian Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Persia!
Does anybody know about the technology that apple says has used in the speakers of the 15" rMBP? How are they designed at least compared to the 15" cmbp that is supposed to sound better?

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Cute..

I just said passé since it's not being produced anymore... . Don't kill me 17" mbp lovers.:)

^_^

We won't "kill" you that is harsh hahaha. We didn't "kill the sales" of these beauties either.

In all honesty I'm sure so many of us PROsumers out there had our 5Ks in our wallets in WWDC 2012 for a refreshed 17"MBP but Apple didn't step up, no one really knows why, so maybe their up to something, perhaps there will be a future appearance and by that time I would have saved up enough for 12 or more refreshed 17"MBPs.

Simple math for a PROsumer really. Give us what we need and we always pay.

But if you stop supplying us with what we need, we just build it ourselves with the existing systems we are still using thank you very much.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The speakers on mine are quite good, but not "Magical" a critical benchmark Apple uses.

The moment it became crystal clear that Apple was about to pull the 17" MBP from their lineup I bought a new one. Even though my existing model was only 11 months old. Nothing like having a spare. LOL.

Ten Reasons Why Apple Discontinued The 17" MBP.

1) They were mature and very well sorted out.
2) They lacked any problems of substance.
3) They worked perfectly right out of the box.
4) They were the best 17" laptop on the market bar none.
5) Being incredibly thin, light, and compact for a 17" was another problem.
6) Apple had already made their money back on R&D costs.
7) Those of us who used them were completely happy.
8) They had a great very useful SuperDrive
9) In lieu of having big problems, they failed to generate headlines for Apple.
10) Their stellar performance prevented Apple from Suing anyone.

So there you have it. :D

dragonjinse

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Wow! It sounds awesome! I want to buy 17" now, but I have no idea where I can get a new one.

The speakers on mine are quite good, but not "Magical" a critical benchmark Apple uses.

The moment it became crystal clear that Apple was about to pull the 17" MBP from their lineup I bought a new one. Even though my existing model was only 11 months old. Nothing like having a spare. LOL.

Ten Reasons Why Apple Discontinued The 17" MBP.

1) They were mature and very well sorted out.
2) They lacked any problems of substance.
3) They worked perfectly right out of the box.
4) They were the best 17" laptop on the market bar none.
5) Being incredibly thin, light, and compact for a 17" was another problem.
6) Apple had already made their money back on R&D costs.
7) Those of us who used them were completely happy.
8) They had a great very useful SuperDrive
9) In lieu of having big problems, they failed to generate headlines for Apple.
10) Their stellar performance prevented Apple from Suing anyone.

So there you have it. :D

CARABAO

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
I shouldn't be checking the updates here every morning!!! You guys are pushing me to buy that refurb 17"!!!!!! AUUUGGGGHHHH

----------

^_^
In all honesty I'm sure so many of us PROsumers out there had our 5Ks in our wallets in WWDC 2012 for a refreshed 17"MBP but Apple didn't step up, no one really knows why, so maybe their up to something, perhaps there will be a future appearance and by that time I would have saved up enough for 12 or more refreshed 17"MBPs.

Simple math for a PROsumer really. Give us what we need and we always pay.

But if you stop supplying us with what we need, we just build it ourselves with the existing systems we are still using thank you very much.

SAME HERE!! But as you said, Apple is zen about their products, and so should we. It will return, they're just waiting for the hardware to get ripe enough to support the monstrous system.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
The 17" MBP's speakers really boom in comparison to other models. I've had 15" and 13" and now, 11", they all sound tiny compared to the 17".

Here's a video I saw on Youtube (speaker comparison midway through):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ha_9CdY6c

Cheers,
Greg

When I compared the 17" vs 15" rMBP back to back, the audio was much clearer, with more depth from the 17"

You guys are CRAZY!!! I've got two 2011 17" MBPs...and a pair of 15" rMBPs (We run a small business and these are used primarily for audio and video production). The 15" rMBPs absolutely TROUNCE the sound of the 17s!!! It's not even close. I'm going to have to watch that youtube video again to see which 15" models they're using....because after seeing your comments and a response I made in another thread I actually went back and opened up the 15 and 17 side by side. Same song, BIG difference.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here...but those interested in actual, decent sound from a laptop...the new 15" rMBPs are pretty darn good. Nothing replaces my B&W C5s for more critical listening a volume, but internally I don't see how this is a debate. Weird....

J

Persian Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Persia!
You guys are CRAZY!!! I've got two 2011 17" MBPs...and a pair of 15" rMBPs (We run a small business and these are used primarily for audio and video production). The 15" rMBPs absolutely TROUNCE the sound of the 17s!!! It's not even close. I'm going to have to watch that youtube video again to see which 15" models they're using....because after seeing your comments and a response I made in another thread I actually went back and opened up the 15 and 17 side by side. Same song, BIG difference.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here...but those interested in actual, decent sound from a laptop...the new 15" rMBPs are pretty darn good. Nothing replaces my B&W C5s for more critical listening a volume, but internally I don't see how this is a debate. Weird....

J

Anyways, Having a notebook with good speakers provides an easy and portable way to listen to music or watching movies etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.