Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
What's next for gay marriage?

I'm fascinated by this issue. Now that the supreme court has made it's ruling, what happens next? Even though the supreme court legalized gay marriage in states where it's already legal, most of the country still doesn't have it legalized. When will the day come when the supreme court rules that a state has no right to deny a same sex couple marriage rights? As much celebration as there was when the supreme court made its decision, it's really a bittersweet ruling if you think about it. The only thing gay couples can do now is move to states that allow it, but when will the day come when they don't have to move? I think we still have a major civil rights issue in this country if gay couples in most states still can't marry. What are we really celebrating?
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
I'm fascinated by this issue. Now that the supreme court has made it's ruling, what happens next? Even though the supreme court legalized gay marriage in states where it's already legal, most of the country still doesn't have it legalized. When will the day come when the supreme court rules that a state has no right to deny a same sex couple marriage rights? As much celebration as there was when the supreme court made its decision, it's really a bittersweet ruling if you think about it. The only thing gay couples can do now is move to states that allow it, but when will the day come when they don't have to move?
Right now, the POTUS is trying to figure out what the States can do outside of being defendants in challenges to their bans.

He's been quoted saying something to the fact of that if you are married in a state that has legalized gay marriage, and you go to or move to another state that bans gay marriage... you're still married. That marriage doesn't cease the moment you cross a state line. So he's trying to figure out what the federal government can do about it.

I'll have more to post (on my way to work), so I'll find appropriate links to back up what is next.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Gay divorce is next if heteromarriage is anything to go by.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
Hopefully we can get blanket legalization, so that people in every state can get married to whomever they choose!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Squadleader
Banned

Quote:
I'm fascinated by this issue. Now that the supreme court has made it's ruling, what happens next?
DOMA passed so overwhelming by a democratic congress and president it should have no problem with constitutional amendment, banning such marriages..but will take forever....
Squadleader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Next will be a push to define gay marriage as a civil right which would invalidate all the state laws against it.
macquariumguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:24 PM   #7
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadleader View Post
DOMA passed so overwhelming by a democratic congress and president it should have no problem with constitutional amendment, banning such marriages..but will take forever....

There seems to be a disconnect between you and the truth.

The bill was authored by Bob Barr in the 104th Congress. The 104th Congress was noted for the first time Republicans held both houses since the 1950s. The bill did receive good Democratic support.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:42 PM   #8
CaptMurdock
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Democratic congress?? Apparently you slept through the "'94 Revolution." Congress had Republican majorities for the first time in decades.

Plus, Clinton was facing re-election. Even given how Bob Dole was a longshot at best at unseating an incumbent president, Clinton needed to throw some meat to Middle America. And even the possibility of a overridden veto was too risky. Yeah, he won no points with the liberal base, but who else were they going to vote for?

A constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage has the chance of happening as a permanent moonbase by 2020.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Quote:
So - gonna go out on a limb here and assume that you're not a huge supporter of equal rights for same-sex couples.

Out of curiosity, what negative effects and negative impacts would legalizing same-sex marriage have on you and/or your family? Or lets get even more general - what negative effects would it have on society?
SwiftLives is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:33 PM   #10
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
So - gonna go out on a limb here and assume that you're not a huge supporter of equal rights for same-sex couples.

Out of curiosity, what negative effects and negative impacts would legalizing same-sex marriage have on you and/or your family? Or lets get even more general - what negative effects would it have on society?
Obviously in no time at all you'd have heathen farm animals marrying paedophiles. Then where would be be? It's "Goodbye America".
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Obviously in no time at all you'd have heathen farm animals marrying paedophiles. Then where would be be?.
...with a new industry making wedding rings for farm animals.

Job creation!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:28 PM   #12
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macquariumguy View Post
Next will be a push to define gay marriage as a civil right which would invalidate all the state laws against it.
One can only hope. I wish the supreme court would make state level gay marriage bans unconstitutional.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:30 PM   #13
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
One can only hope. I wish the supreme court would make state level gay marriage bans unconstitutional.
I'm sure it won't be long until a suit against a state with DOMA-like language in their constitution is filed. Few years until it reaches the Sc though.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:05 PM   #14
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I'm sure it won't be long until a suit against a state with DOMA-like language in their constitution is filed. Few years until it reaches the Sc though.
Honestly, I'm pissed off that the supreme court refuses to treat sexual orientation like they treated race in 1967. How is it ok to allow the majority of states to continue discriminating against gays?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #15
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Honestly, I'm pissed off that the supreme court refuses to treat sexual orientation like they treated race in 1967. How is it ok to allow the majority of states to continue discriminating against gays?

What would you have therm do?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:25 PM   #16
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
What would you have therm do?
Same thing they did in 1967. Declare marriage to be a civil right regardless of gender, just like they did for race. They should not have ignored the Prop 8 case, they should have taken it. Oh well, wishful thinking.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:35 PM   #17
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Same thing they did in 1967. Declare marriage to be a civil right regardless of gender, just like they did for race. They should not have ignored the Prop 8 case, they should have taken it. Oh well, wishful thinking.
They couldn't take it. the plaintiffs had no standing to even present the case, so they had no case to take.

You want them to take a case? file a suit in a state has a gay marriage ban, and make sure the AG defends it. Then when it makes it to SCOTUS, they'll have to take it.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:48 PM   #18
DUCKofD3ATH
In Time-Out

Quote:
What are we really celebrating?
Polygamy!

I predict that by 2020, there'll be more polygynous marriages than gay. And why not? Just think how much better a marriage would be with one woman and the husband employed outside the home while the other wife raises the kids. So many societal problems ended by this simple remedy.

Thanks, Supreme Court!
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:54 PM   #19
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKofD3ATH View Post
Polygamy!

I predict that by 2020, there'll be more polygynous marriages than gay. And why not? Just think how much better a marriage would be with one woman and the husband employed outside the home while the other wife raises the kids. So many societal problems ended by this simple remedy.

Thanks, Supreme Court!

Works for me.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:23 PM   #20
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Polygamy!

Thanks, Supreme Court!
And polygamists bother you because.....? I don't care how they live their lives, as long as anything is consensual. If the government and IRS can figure out how to work all the benefits of marriage and tax issues for more than two people then I'm all for it. See, the way it is now is that there are a lot of benefits that specifically are for only two people, such as choices in the hospital that need to be made when one partner is unable to make their own choices. It's very hard to work that out for 3 or more people. And the more money is involved, the more complicated it gets. So idk how it would ever really work out.

Now, another major problem with your argument is that polygamy is a lifestyle choice, while homosexuality comes from a number of different factors, but it's pretty much agreed on by the entire academic and scientific worlds that it's not a choice. So there's a bit of a difference there. However you are likely to bring up your Jesus mumbo jumbo in response to this to try to tell me why homosexuality is a choice and that gay people choose to be gay. But maybe I'm wrong, doubt it though.

Last edited by likemyorbs; Jun 28, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:27 PM   #21
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
And polygamists bother you because.....?
So long as it's an agreement between consenting adults, I don't care how many people choose to enter into a marriage.

I just happen to be a bit selfish.

So I don't see myself sharing my wife with another husband.

Others mileage may vary.
citizenzen is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
So long as it's an agreement between consenting adults, I don't care how many people choose to enter into a marriage.

I just happen to be a bit selfish.

So I don't see myself sharing my wife with another husband.

Others mileage may vary.
Oh I agree, it's most certainly not a lifestyle for me or most people. But it's their choice to live that way and as long as its not 14 year old girls marrying 73 year old men then I'm fine with it.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:37 PM   #23
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Oh I agree, it's most certainly not a lifestyle for me or most people. But it's their choice to live that way and as long as its not 14 year old girls marrying 73 year old men then I'm fine with it.
Will you still be saying that when you're 73?
skunk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:43 PM   #24
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Will you still be saying that when you're 73?
I hope so.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:44 PM   #25
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Quote:
Polygamy!

Thanks, Supreme Court!
Can you provide an example of when or where legalizing same sex marriage has led to polygamy? For that matter, can you explain exactly what allowing same sex marriage has to do with polygamy anyway?
SwiftLives is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues