Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon-250x249.jpg
BGR reports that Apple is planning to release the third beta version of iOS 7 to its carrier partners on Monday, July 8, with seeding to registered developers expected on the same day.
BGR has been informed by trusted sources that iOS 7 beta 3 is currently scheduled to be made available to carriers for testing on July 8th. These are the same sources who accurately foretold the release timing of Apple's last iOS 7 beta, and just like iOS 7 beta 2, it is likely that the new software will be released to developers on the same day it reaches carriers.
A July 8 release for the third beta would come two weeks after the release of the second beta, which occurred on Monday of this week. That release came two weeks after Apple rolled out the initial beta version of iOS 7 at its Worldwide Developers Conference.

In iOS 6 beta testing last year, Apple used a similar two-week interval between the first and second releases, but then moved to three-week intervals for the third and fourth beta versions.

If a July 8 release for beta 3 is accurate, Apple may be moving to a more rapid seeding schedule to keep developers updated on the numerous changes included in iOS 7. The upcoming operating system represents the most significant visual change to iOS since its debut in 2007, and Apple is said to still be refining many of the design elements as it proceeds through the beta testing period.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta 3 Reportedly Coming on Monday, July 8

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a record number of beta releases for iOS 7. A lot of work needs to be done before it comes near GM.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I'm VERY curious to see what "design elements" they change at this point. Icons? A darker theme? Animations? Curious...

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Not surprising. I feel we may see more betas than previous years because of how much had changed.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I hope they eventually improve the iPod app.
I want to be able to skip forward when it is on Shuffle in landscape mode.
Also the ability to tag songs that I am listening to on shuffle to make a new playlist on the go.

The iPod App has TONS of areas it could be improved upon

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Good because there is still a lot of work to do. Springboard crashes frequently. It's not a terrible beta 2 and for a daily driver, it works fine enough.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Captain Obvious reports that beta 3 is due July 8: 2 weeks after beta 2 and 4 weeks after beta 1 hence following the trend that has basically been in place for the last 2-3 OS releases. Ugh, "news" indeed

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I love the iPhone 5 with iOS7.

Apple couldn't have done it better.

Dumped Android and now I'm back and loving it.

PS: There's NOTHING to fix regarding icons. Shut up if you like to live in the 20th century.

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
I hope they eventually improve the iPod app.
I want to be able to skip forward when it is on Shuffle in landscape mode.
Also the ability to tag songs that I am listening to on shuffle to make a new playlist on the go.

The iPod App has TONS of areas it could be improved upon

Agreed, and most importantly for me, just let me shuffle all songs of an artist together :D
As of now we can only shuffle albums, or all songs.

gcliv

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I like iOS 7 so far. Definitely feeling some pains of pre-release software, but that's to be expected. Honestly, though, I'm a bit underwhelmed - it mainly feels like a graphical refresh, not a lot of fundamental improvements beyond some overdo niceties like quick toggle wifi/bt.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here's a blog posting from a developer on iOS 7. http://tapity.com/iphone-app-design/responding-to-ios-7/

I thought this paragraph was interesting:

Despite my initial fears, I actually really enjoy using iOS 7 on a daily basis. I still have some complaints about several visual design choices but you have to remember, Apple has only been working on this for a matter of months. That’s pretty insane. I mean, it takes us at least a year to put out a single app, let alone an entire operating system!

So give them a break. I talked to a number of folks at Apple. They understand that this thing isn’t finished yet and they want our feedback (feel free to email me and I’ll pass it along). It’s only going to get better.

stan1028

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I seriously hate the feature whereby the lock screen clock is being replaced my the music controls in beta 2. Hopefully Apple can have a switch for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.