Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
So, my dad recently upgraded his phone from the blueish screened iPhone 4, to an iP5. He always complains now of the yellowish screen, and I tried to tell him that the screen has a different neutral white calibration than the iPhone 4. Can anyone help me elaborate to him on why theres nothing wrong with his phone? My iPhone looks the exact same.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Yellow screens are not normal. Get it replaced at an Apple store. Even compare with the demo iPhone 5 units.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Yellow screens are not normal. Get it replaced at an Apple store. Even compare with the demo iPhone 5 units.

Apple changed the color calibration to a warmer setting on the iPhone 5. The screen is not yellow, but the warmer colors look yellowish to someone whose coming from an iPhone 4.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Tell him to man up and live with it.

But seriously, tell him that the iPhone 4 was too blue and that Apple has adjusted the iPhone 5 screen to produce more accurate colors.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Its a defective screen. Have him get it replaced.

Yes, the colors on iPhone5 are a bit more neutral, but they shouldn't look noticeably yellow. The difference should be very slight.

I have seen plenty of iPhone 5 screens that look just as blue as 4/4S screens. They are out there.

The majority are slightly warmer, but no one would notice in regular use.

There are iPhone 5 screens that are noticeably piss yellow. Your dad likely has one. Get. It. Replaced.

I went through multiple phones til I got one with an acceptable screen.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Its a defective screen. Have him get it replaced.

Yes, the colors on iPhone5 are a bit more neutral, but they shouldn't look noticeably yellow. The difference should be very slight.

I have seen plenty of iPhone 5 screens that look just as blue as 4/4S screens. They are out there.

The majority are slightly warmer, but no one would notice in regular use.

There are iPhone 5 screens that are noticeably piss yellow. Your dad likely has one. Get. It. Replaced.

I went through multiple phones til I got one with an acceptable screen.

Still here huh lol? I remember me and you went through sooo many iPhone 4's with those nasty yellow screens 3 years ago haha.

Heres what my 4 used to look like on the left compared to a different iPhone.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Still here huh lol? I remember me and you went through sooo many iPhone 4's with those nasty yellow screens 3 years ago haha.

Heres what my 4 used to look like on the left compared to a different iPhone.
[url=http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1190/w79h.jpg]Image[/URL]

Haha yeah man. Constantly amazed at how this issue comes up every single year. Also amazed that people still try to argue its intentional or not a defect.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
He's never going to get it. He'll eventually get used to it and stop complaining.

Yeah...old people. How are you going to deal with them. They never understand anything!

And the complaining! OMG...those old people never stop complaining. Unlike the young folks, who never complain about anything and just take things in stride...like, say, icons and stuff.

Old people...what a pain.;)

:rolleyes: :D

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Yeah...old people. How are you going to deal with them. They never understand anything!

And the complaining! OMG...those old people never stop complaining. Unlike the young folks, who never complain about anything and just take things in stride...like, say, icons and stuff.

Old people...what a pain.;)

:rolleyes: :D

Weak

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The youngs are OCDs, and the olds want to stay the same.

I'd like to suggest that generalizations about any group (young's, olds, etc) are iffy, at best.

It's not my intent to be snarky, just to suggest all over generalizations are dependent on stereotypes.

No offense intended...just an observation.:D

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I'd like to suggest that generalizations about any group (young's, olds, etc) are iffy, at best.

Without generalization, stereotypes, reality shows and gratuitous sex and violence, we would be watching documentaries and c-span 24x7.

Remind me again when my generalization adversely affects the livelyhood of an impacted group.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Can anyone help me elaborate to him on why theres nothing wrong with his phone?
Let him go and swap it out if he thinks there is a problem. He will eventually realize that these screens aren't tightly calibrated and there's quite a bit of variation.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've heard that most of the time it's an adhesive used in the screen. I hadn't noticed any yellow until I got my 4S. But just like so many people told me and others on here, it went away within a week or two. If your dad has had the phone for more than a few weeks and it's still like that, do like the people are telling you and ask for a replacement from Apple.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I've heard that most of the time it's an adhesive used in the screen. I hadn't noticed any yellow until I got my 4S. But just like so many people told me and others on here, it went away within a week or two. If your dad has had the phone for more than a few weeks and it's still like that, do like the people are telling you and ask for a replacement from Apple.

It's not adhesive

Its not glue

It wont go away.

100% Fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.