Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylejb2663

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Hey MacRumors!

New member here, just signed up. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13' and an Apple TV- First apple products!! Love them already..

Just had a few questions for you. I am extremely knowledge on the PC/Windows side, it's what I do for my job on Server Side/Virtualization such as VMware and Hyper-V

My friend has a few old Mac Hard Drives from I believe 2009 and 2010 MacBooks that he has been wanting to restore. Can I just plug them in to a drive enclosure and pull all his photos and documents out for him? I know mac uses an HFS journal system but just wanted to see if there are any precautions I should take. :D

Thanks and I am looking forward to learning and reading a lot on here!

kylejb2663

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Definitely don't want that! He basically has two drives that are from dead MacBooks and he wants to pull his photos and documents off each of them and then copy them to a External hard Drive that can be read by Windows and/or mac-

With windows, I would simply hook up the drive browse to the users folder and there is all of his stuff... I don't think I want to use migration assistant because that would copy over his entire user account and his applications over to my MBP.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Definitely don't want that! He basically has two drives that are from dead MacBooks and he wants to pull his photos and documents off each of them and then copy them to a External hard Drive that can be read by Windows and/or mac-

With windows, I would simply hook up the drive browse to the users folder and there is all of his stuff... I don't think I want to use migration assistant because that would copy over his entire user account and his applications over to my MBP.

Just pull his drives out of the machines and put them in a USB external SATA enclosure then attach that drive you your machine. Then just drag what you want to a folder on your desktop. Then use Disk Utility in OS X to format his drive to ExFAT (compatible with Windows and OS X). Then drag the files from your desktop back to the newly formatted drive. Now you can read write to the drive(s) in Mac and Windows.

An enclosure something like this would work.

kylejb2663

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Just pull his drives out of the machines and put them in a USB external SATA enclosure then attach that drive you your machine. Then just drag what you want to a folder on your desktop. Then use Disk Utility in OS X to format his drive to ExFAT (compatible with Windows and OS X). Then drag the files from your desktop back to the newly formatted drive. Now you can read write to the drive(s) in Mac and Windows.

An enclosure something like this would work.

Ahh nice! Ok I was just making it more complicated then it needed to be... I started reading articles where certain applications like iPhoto and such cannot be accessed without using the migration assistant, etc... Thanks!!!

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Ahh nice! Ok I was just making it more complicated then it needed to be... I started reading articles where certain applications like iPhoto and such cannot be accessed without using the migration assistant, etc... Thanks!!!

If you're talking about the photos within iPhoto, you can open up iPhoto on the new/target machine, then in iPhoto's Menu Bar select File-->Switch to Library, then point to the iPhoto library on the old hard drive. Once in you can export the photos or create a new library using those photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.