Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OS X Mavericks Adds Auto-Renew Subscriptions for Mac App Store

While iOS apps like Evernote and Instapaper are able to provide users with in-app auto-renewing monthly subscriptions for services, the same functionality is not available in the Mac App Store at the current time.

For example, Evernote is able to offer a renewable monthly subscription to its premium service via iOS, charging $5 per month. On the Mac App Store, however, Evernote cannot offer a subscription, instead requiring users to sign up each month or purchase a year of service in advance.

As 9to5Mac notes, that is set to change in OS X Mavericks, with the introduction of Auto-Renewable Subscriptions for Mac Apps.

With the release of Mavericks, Mac developers will be able to provide services on an ongoing monthly basis with charges routed through the App Store's in-app purchase system.*As with the iOS App Store, developers will be able to offer both ongoing subscriptions and subscriptions that expire after a set time, automatically charging a user's iTunes account.

Mac App Store subscriptions in Mavericks will be managed in the Mac App Store's account information panel, which has been updated with a new subscription management setting.

OS X Mavericks was previewed at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. It is currently available for developers, and is expected to be released to the public in the fall.

Article Link: OS X Mavericks Adds Auto-Renew Subscriptions for Mac App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm... All we need is another way for software companies to encourage subscriptions instead of perpetual licenses.
monkeybagel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Good for companies, not so good for consumers.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
Good for companies, not so good for consumers.
Why? It would save me the trouble of remembering when to renew and to manually do it.

Good addition IMO.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Hmmmm... All we need is another way for software companies to encourage subscriptions instead of perpetual licenses.
Hey, why not get on the cash-cow bandwagon, right? Let's not give them any ideas.
Unfortunately, too late now. That train has left the station.....
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:30 PM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
How about supporting paid updates? I know some developers like Microsoft and Adobe aren't so fond of those, since they require adding useful, pay worthy features to existing apps, thus why they're moving to subscription models, but they're relatively popular with consumers, I think.

IE, if I want to majorly improve an app right now, my options for funding that are:

#1 - Don't. Everyone gets a free update and I go broke.
#2 - Sell it as an entirely seperate app. Many consumers won't discover it ever.
#3 - Charge subscription fees. Annoying to users who feel they're paying repeatedly for something I did once.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
nutmac
macrumors 68020

It's just a matter of time before Apple starts subscription-based plans itself. As a user of many Apple software, I personally would welcome the move. But those using just a few would probably hate it.
nutmac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:09 PM   #8
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
How about supporting paid updates? I know some developers like Microsoft and Adobe aren't so fond of those, since they require adding useful, pay worthy features to existing apps, thus why they're moving to subscription models, but they're relatively popular with consumers, I think.

IE, if I want to majorly improve an app right now, my options for funding that are:

#2 - Sell it as an entirely seperate app. Many consumers won't discover it ever.
#3 - Charge subscription fees. Annoying to users who feel they're paying repeatedly for something I did once.
I agree completely. There also needs to be a way to sell educational discounts on an individual basis.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #9
RaggieSoft
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
I agree completely. There also needs to be a way to sell educational discounts on an individual basis.
As a College Student, I would gladly submit documentation (for example, my student email address) to be tied to my Apple ID. With my DreamSpark account, I have to renew yearly to prove that I'm still a student.

For developers who chose to offer Educational Discounts, the price could be automatically shown since Apple would recognize that my Apple ID is a registered student.

Thoughts?

Last edited by RaggieSoft; Jun 28, 2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: iPhone decided I was ready to Submit too soon
RaggieSoft is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
It's just a matter of time before Apple starts subscription-based plans itself. As a user of many Apple software, I personally would welcome the move. But those using just a few would probably hate it.
Either you work for Apple, or simply love giving them more and more of your money.
maxosx is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:23 PM   #11
scottsjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
I think you have a point there. The more stuff people buy from Apple the more Apple is encouraged to sell. At this point I think the content is more important to Apple than their hardware.

I try to buy software, music and movies from other sources so as not to encourage the walled garden effect.
scottsjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:54 PM   #12
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

I'm still in disbelief with Adobe's move to subscription based app's. Not so much for monetary reasons, but the concept of "renting" applications doesn't sit well. I thought it may be to deter pirating, but I've already seen some download the app's and use the well known hosts modifications.

The App Store needs to support upgrade pricing. A lot of companies and developers offer discounted pricing for major updates, which the Mac App Store doesn't support.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:18 PM   #13
springsup
macrumors 6502a

The subscription model is a curse. Too many good companies' products get aped because the finance guys running them can't withstand the allure of recurring monthly revenue.

I've worked at plenty of companies that (still) do this.

EDIT: Should clarify, that doesn't include us! Sterling doesn't have subscriptions :P

Last edited by springsup; Jun 28, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
springsup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:36 PM   #14
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:

It should be relatively easy to tell them about your new app in your scenario #2 through a splash screen. If the message comes up once every three months or some other infrequent interval, it will not be all that annoying.

For a basic app #3 would be annoying, but if it is a more complicated app with frequent updates and improvements along with some customer support beyond self-help options, subscription pricing is not all that bad.

In any case, discounted upgrade pricing is the best option for at least some apps, so it would be nice if the app store supported that business model. It would give the customers the confidence that the little known developers will get paid extra only if they actually update their apps rather than at pre-set time intervals based on a vague promise of updates.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
if I want to majorly improve an app right now, my options for funding that are:

Would #4 - an in-app purchase for a major new feature be a bad idea?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:51 PM   #16
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I don't "rent" my software, so no harm no foul in my eyes.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:01 PM   #17
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Auto subscriptions? Yuck.

"Am I a good man?" -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:34 PM   #18
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
I'm still in disbelief with Adobe's move to subscription based app's. Not so much for monetary reasons, but the concept of "renting" applications doesn't sit well. I thought it may be to deter pirating, but I've already seen some download the app's and use the well known hosts modifications.

The App Store needs to support upgrade pricing. A lot of companies and developers offer discounted pricing for major updates, which the Mac App Store doesn't support.
Unfortunately Adobe is making a killing with CC. People aren't exactly voting with their wallets.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:36 AM   #19
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackyNinja View Post
Auto subscriptions? Yuck.
That's what I thought, Doctor.
Dagless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:40 AM   #20
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Would #4 - an in-app purchase for a major new feature be a bad idea?
I feel like that potentially leads to spaghetti code, having to check that the feature has been paid for on a regular basis. It's easier to just make the assumption that if they're running the version of code you're writing, it means they paid for the features already. But maybe you're right and I should revisit IAP (when I last tried using it about 2 years ago I found it was a huge headache and most users didn't bite. Since then I've just avoided IAP like the plague...)
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:53 AM   #21
RaggieSoft
macrumors member

Throw my name in the hat for "I would support paid updates."

Hypothetical Example: 1.0 to 1.1 would be free, and it fixes bugs. Then, 2.0 comes out. Major new features. Yes, I'd pay. I also wold support an upgrade discount too
RaggieSoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 03:18 AM   #22
sexiewasd
macrumors regular

It's nice to see more payment options, maybe Adobe will revisit the App Store with it's creative cloud apps. It would be fantastic to see those two models working together in harmony. I wonder if apple's 30% cut will keep them away, it's not like Adobe really needs the exposure.

For those who dislike the subscription model, yes generally the company will get more of your money, but it is really easy for a user to decide, ok they aren't updating this enough, or to think hey look that program xyz is doing something better, and the recurring payment makes it a really easy choice to switch. It won't take that long for the company to realize, oh 5#!+ we just lost half of our now much lower monthly profits! It works out to be better at keeping a developer interested in innovating than does a larger almost lump sum spike in sales after a yearly release because that recurring monthly -$50 is in front of the user every month. This is why adobe has a two year creative cloud contract. It's those minimum subscription contracts that you should boycott, that is what isn't ok, and will hurt innovation, and users.

Last edited by sexiewasd; Jun 29, 2013 at 03:32 AM.
sexiewasd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:34 AM   #23
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post

On the windows side it was cracked and function 3 days after the announcement. They didn’t deter piracy thay pissed off customers.
==================================================

FWIW, if software requires a subscription I won’t buy it. I will also not recommend it my bosses when they ask. I’m just one guy and no one cares but at some point a line has to be drawn.
GermanyChris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:28 AM   #24
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
On the windows side it was cracked and function 3 days after the announcement. They didn’t deter piracy thay pissed off customers.

FWIW, if software requires a subscription I won’t buy it. I will also not recommend it my bosses when they ask. I’m just one guy and no one cares but at some point a line has to be drawn.
Well said.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:31 AM   #25
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Unfortunately Adobe is making a killing with CC. People aren't exactly voting with their wallets.
Ugh

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

Agree. I wish there was the ability to have both, buy the suite or individual app's and/or use the subscription model. Forcing consumers into one model seems extreme.

PS I'm jealous you're in Germany. I miss Europe. If you are adopting lol

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion