Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Geico Insurance Pig Ads

As this been mentioned before in these forums? As I rule I don't care for Geico's pig ads. I was hoping the cop who pulls one over is last seen roasting a pig over a barbeque, lol.

Anyone else think the one where the woman (with amorous feelings) is on a date with a pig is more in poor taste than it's funny? I'm wondering if some deviate mad man, thought that one up to drive conservatives crazy. I mean, that's what they are thinking, what burn-in-hell idea will liberals think up next?

__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:16 PM   #2
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Meh. There is no difference between that ad than with Family Guy with Brian dating woman( and has had sex with them) and him wanting to screw Lois.
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Meh. There is no difference between that ad than with Family Guy with Brian dating woman( and has had sex with them) and him wanting to screw Lois.
Says the guy who screwed his best friends wife which led to their divorce.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Says the guy who screwed his best friends wife which led to their divorce.
I don't quite think having an affair is as comparable as beastiality.

Plus, now my best friend is now happily married to his high school sweetheart compared to the miserable marriage he had.....
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York

Last edited by quagmire; Jun 28, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
As this been mentioned before in these forums? As I rule I don't care for Geico's pig ads. I was hoping the cop who pulls one over is last seen roasting a pig over a barbeque, lol.

Anyone else think the one where the woman (with amorous feelings) is on a date with a pig is more in poor taste than it's funny? I'm wondering if some deviate mad man, thought that one up to drive conservatives crazy. I mean, that's what they are thinking, what burn-in-hell idea will liberals think up next?

YouTube: video
I won't argue your feelings about the ad as being in poor taste...that's a matter of personal taste.

But please explain to me why it would offend conservatives? Are you interpreting the ad as suggesting zoophilia? Is that a bad thing for conservatives?

Also, how do liberals fit into this scenario. Are you suggesting that liberals are zoophilic? I wasn't aware that sexual interest in animals was related to political philosophy.

Could you explain the connections, please?
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I don't quite think having an affair is as comparable as beastiality.

Plus, now my best friend is now happily married to his high school sweetheart compared to the miserable marriage he had.....
That's true but for some reason he's not as funny anymore....
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I won't argue your feelings about the ad as being in poor taste...that's a matter of personal taste.

But please explain to me why it would offend conservatives? Are you interpreting the ad as suggesting zoophilia? Is that a bad thing for conservatives?

Also, how do liberals fit into this scenario. Are you suggesting that liberals are zoophilic? I wasn't aware that sexual interest in animals was related to political philosophy.

Could you explain the connections, please?
First of all the comment was said in jest, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

In the mind of conservative, it's liberals who push gay marriage. I can imagine them (conservatives) thinking what's the next perversion to be served up. Here you go, bestiality and although I don't think that is what Geico is pushing, it does not take much addition so see where a scenario like this could head. As Venkman said: "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysterial!"

And Quagmire, I don't like Bryan dating women either, although he is like a furry person.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
I suppose Wiley Cayote is a stalking wannabe murderer then eh ?

It's a stupid commercial that hopes to be funny. I can't see any connection to politics at all. Especially given the roots of the government employees insurance company.

<disclaimer> I have Geico insurance on my car because I get a better rate due to being ex-military.

</disclaimer>
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
First of all the comment was said in jest, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

In the mind of conservative, it's liberals who push gay marriage. I can imagine them (conservatives) thinking what's the next perversion to be served up. Here you go, bestiality and although I don't think that is what Geico is pushing, it does not take much addition so see where a scenario like this could head. As Venkman said: "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysterial!"
I just checked and my panties are nice and smooth. They were also OK when I wrote the post, which I didn't think indicated bunched panties, but rather a serious question about the connection between perceived zoophilia and political philosophy.

Sorry if my post had that bunched panties feel to it...
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I suppose Wiley Cayote is a stalking wannabe murderer then eh ?

It's a stupid commercial that hopes to be funny. I can't see any connection to politics at all. Especially given the roots of the government employees insurance company.

<disclaimer> I have Geico insurance on my car because I get a better rate due to being ex-military.

</disclaimer>
Better than USAA?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I just checked and my panties are nice and smooth. They were also OK when I wrote the post, which I didn't think indicated bunched panties, but rather a serious question about the connection between perceived zoophilia and political philosophy.

Sorry if my post had that bunched panties feel to it...
So I take it I did not make the connection of perversions served up in the mind of conservatives? Maybe it's just me and I'm not a conservative.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Says the guy who screwed his best friends wife which led to their divorce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I don't quite think having an affair is as comparable as beastiality.

Plus, now my best friend is now happily married to his high school sweetheart compared to the miserable marriage he had.....
Wait... really?
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quagmire is in Family Guy.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Quagmire is in Family Guy.
Obviously I don't watch it enough.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:26 PM   #13
4JNA
macrumors 68000
 
4JNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: looking for trash files
six degrees of bacon.

maybe she just loves BACON. i mean, who dosen't...

a whole thread about it around here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Better than USAA?
not possible, there is none better price be damned.
__________________
KATE: RISC architecture is gonna change everything. DADE: Yeah. RISC is good.
4JNA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Obviously I don't watch it enough.
Well now you should. It's a funny show !

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:27 PM   #15
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
maybe she just loves BACON. i mean, who dosen't...

a whole thread about it around here somewhere.
Not a big fan of the current fad of having bacon in my dessert......
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Not a big fan of the current fad of having bacon in my dessert......
Example please...

Come one guys, when the police officer stops the pig driving the car, he should lead him away in handcuffs and the next scene he and his family should be seen eating BBQ... haha, haha
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:31 PM   #17
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Example please...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1569128.html

Ever watch Top Chef? I just cringe when I see a chef put bacon in a dessert. It's the latest fad in cooking.....
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1569128.html

Ever watch Top Chef? I just cringe when I see a chef put bacon in a dessert. It's the latest fad in cooking.....
I have an in-law who is a pastry/desert chef and he tried out a desert on us, a chocolate cake with red pepper in it. It was kind of good, but nothing I'd crave. No this has nothing to do with bacon, pigs, and/or BBQ...
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:47 PM   #19
localoid
macrumors 68020
 
localoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: America's Third World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
... Here you go, bestiality and although I don't think that is what Geico is pushing, it does not take much addition so see where a scenario like this could head. ...
Is it actually bestiality if both (of the two different animal species) are sentient?

Is, for example, the reptilian female character's (Vastra) marriage to the human, Jenny, on Dr. Who a not-so-veiled attempt by the BBC to push the bestiality agenda?
__________________
My remake of the definitive Populuxe film on 1950s automotive, industrial/interior/architectural design: American Look (1958), Reimagined
localoid is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:44 AM   #20
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I'm wondering if some deviate mad man, thought that one up to drive conservatives crazy. I mean, that's what they are thinking, what burn-in-hell idea will liberals think up next?
Even in jest maybe it's a bit over-thought?
Gutwrench is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Is it actually bestiality if both (of the two different animal species) are sentient?

Is, for example, the reptilian female character's (Vastra) marriage to the human, Jenny, on Dr. Who a not-so-veiled attempt by the BBC to push the bestiality agenda?
You've got a very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Even in jest maybe it's a bit over-thought?
Minimal thought really. Maybe that's the (my) problem. However, I stand by my dislike of the Geico pig.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Jun 29, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:00 AM   #22
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Is it actually bestiality if both (of the two different animal species) are sentient?

Is, for example, the reptilian female character's (Vastra) marriage to the human, Jenny, on Dr. Who a not-so-veiled attempt by the BBC to push the bestiality agenda?
That would not be bestiality as much as it would be rishathra.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:47 PM   #23
localoid
macrumors 68020
 
localoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: America's Third World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
That would not be bestiality as much as it would be rishathra.
Facinating. So then, I assume this means that important pre-coitus questions a prudent person should ask should include "Are you a humanoid?" and "Are you a cop?" (not necessarily in that order?)
__________________
My remake of the definitive Populuxe film on 1950s automotive, industrial/interior/architectural design: American Look (1958), Reimagined
localoid is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #24
smithrh
macrumors 68000
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Many advertisers (and more importantly, advertising agencies) would be thrilled to see that you've connected the pig and Geico, you've remembered the campaign well, even if you don't like the ads.

They're probably even more thrilled that you've decided to talk about it publicly, even going to the lengths to find and embed one of their ads.

Basically to an advertiser, in many ways famous=infamous. One of the main things advertisers want is to be remembered.
smithrh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:29 PM   #25
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Basically to an advertiser, in many ways famous=infamous. One of the main things advertisers want is to be remembered.
The main thing I think of when seeing those ads is, "He's no Arnold Ziffel".
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
geico, pig

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free game, Tiny Pig: Jump! engiyong iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Mar 27, 2014 08:45 AM
Why doesn't health insurance work as well as other insurance? ElectronGuru Politics, Religion, Social Issues 46 Oct 19, 2013 05:32 AM
Plasma Pig - puzzle and brain game AngryAvocadoApp iPad Apps 0 May 19, 2013 05:59 AM
A cute game Super Baby Pig cloudhsu iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Dec 1, 2012 10:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC