Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 8, 2005, 02:43 PM   #1
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

IBOOK sync with NOKIA cell question

Hello I’m new in the MAC world and I just LOVE IT.

I bought a brand new Ibook G4 12” a week ago and I love it.

I’ve been having problems to sync it with my NOKIA 6620 through Bluetooth. My cell phone company supports wide band internet through this cell phone so technically I should be able to connect my computer to the internet with my cell.
Could any of you please tell me how to configure either the cell phone or the computer.

Thanks.

“in a world full of doors… who need windows or gates…?”
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:38 PM   #2
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbopy22
I’ve been having problems to sync it with my NOKIA 6620 through Bluetooth. My cell phone company supports wide band internet through this cell phone so technically I should be able to connect my computer to the internet with my cell.
Could any of you please tell me how to configure either the cell phone or the computer.

Thanks.
I could tell you how to do this on a PC, as I have used a Nokia 6600 as a bluetooth modem before. I suspect it's similar with a Mac.

You will need to set up the 6620 as a Modem. There should be an 'add Modem' option in the System Preferences menu? Start there and follow the instructions. Hopefully that'll get you going.

I'm sure someone else will chip in sooner or later.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:36 AM   #3
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

I've done that... and it doesn't work...
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:26 AM   #4
Danksi
macrumors 68000

I've taken a look at the 6600 I have sync'd with my iMac at home.

If you already have the 6620 syncing (calendar/address book) then:

System Preferences>Bluetooth>Sharing tab>Add new serial port Service (select modem instead of RS232)

If starting afresh, try:

Make your 6620 discoverable (can be set in the 6620's Bluetooth options).

System Preferences>Bluetooth>Devices tab>Set up new device (follow instructions)

You should then be able to go back to Sys Preferences>Network and there should be a dial-modem option.

EDIT: Another option, which may be easier. Go to System Preferences and type in 'modem' in the search bar (top right) - it should give you a whole load of Modem related options.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:35 PM   #5
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

It WORKS

THANKS IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING NOW!

I've done what you told me before but with no success until now... Now my phone and Ibook are sync... I'll try to conect to internet via bluetooth now.. THANKS.. I'll let you know
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
THANKS IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING NOW!

I've done what you told me before but with no success until now... Now my phone and Ibook are sync... I'll try to conect to internet via bluetooth now.. THANKS.. I'll let you know
I've found the Bluetooth on the Nokia Symbian phones (i.e. 6600 & 6620) can be a little touchy sometimes - can take a couple of attempts to get it connected. It's like this for my 6600 on both my PC and iMac.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:39 AM   #7
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

OK OK

It worked for sync.. now I have all my phone numbers downloaded to my address book in my Ibook! which is great...

BUT I have not been able to conect via bluetooth to the internet.. I get answer saying that the number is not correct.. I've introduced my own number as the number... what can be wrong.. do I need to get a number from my provider?

Sorry I'm just a rockie in what matters to MAC... but I LOVE IT!!!
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
OK OK

It worked for sync.. now I have all my phone numbers downloaded to my address book in my Ibook! which is great...

BUT I have not been able to conect via bluetooth to the internet.. I get answer saying that the number is not correct.. I've introduced my own number as the number... what can be wrong.. do I need to get a number from my provider? Sorry I'm just a rockie in what matters to MAC... but I LOVE IT!!!
Ah yes. It'll be assuming you want to create a simple dial-up connection.

In Windows XP (in the UK at least) there's a bunch of modem strings you enter instead of the dial-up phone number - which includes the GPRS (hi-speed) access point (APN).

EDIT: http://flash.o2.co.uk/productsservic...s/MacGuide.pdf I pulled this from my old provider in the UK (no prizes for guessing where I used to work ) - hopefully this will help you configure the Mac for your ISP settings - which you'll need from your ISP. What Cell phone provider are you using? These details may be available on their website?

Last edited by Danksi; Nov 10, 2005 at 10:04 AM.
Danksi is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2005, 07:26 PM   #9
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danksi
Ah yes. It'll be assuming you want to create a simple dial-up connection.

In Windows XP (in the UK at least) there's a bunch of modem strings you enter instead of the dial-up phone number - which includes the GPRS (hi-speed) access point (APN).

EDIT: http://flash.o2.co.uk/productsservic...s/MacGuide.pdf I pulled this from my old provider in the UK (no prizes for guessing where I used to work ) - hopefully this will help you configure the Mac for your ISP settings - which you'll need from your ISP. What Cell phone provider are you using? These details may be available on their website?
first things first... THANKS A LOT Danksi... you've been very helpful..

I'm in Asuncion Paraguay South America.. and yes my cell provider has info on their web site... but I have not been able to find what I need.. my phone works as wide band.. so technically it should work through GPRS... and every time I try to conect I get a message saying that some pprs?? something.. or rppsl?? I don't remember now, doesn't match and I should check the phone..

According to the Mac dealer here they have to program both the cell and the mac to make it work.. but it cost 25$ and is not that I don't want to pay.. is just that I refuse to leave my computer with some technician for an hour...

and also, using mac is so easy that there must be a way to make it work.. jeje..

but thanks... I'll keep trying..

I have another question... my world clock widget went 2 hours forward.. and I haven't been able to change it again.. it was working fine.. but now its forwarded... f...
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:14 PM   #10
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
first things first... THANKS A LOT Danksi... you've been very helpful..

I'm in Asuncion Paraguay South America.. and yes my cell provider has info on their web site...
Nay worries. Glad to be of some help. What is the exact error you get on the phone or Mac when you try and connect?

I'm assuming you've actually registered for the GPRS service. Most wireless operators charge extra for GPRS/Internet services - and require you to register. Could that be the problem?

If you've registered for the GPRS service and you have the correct configs from their website/customer care, then there shouldn't be a problem really.

Last edited by Danksi; Nov 10, 2005 at 09:51 PM.
Danksi is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2005, 04:28 PM   #11
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nay worries. Glad to be of some help. What is the exact error you get on the phone or Mac when you try and connect?

I'm assuming you've actually registered for the GPRS service. Most wireless operators charge extra for GPRS/Internet services - and require you to register. Could that be the problem?

If you've registered for the GPRS service and you have the correct configs from their website/customer care, then there shouldn't be a problem really.

I've tooked to the Mac office here, and they put a script on the ibook.. but guess what... MY PHONE DOESN'T WORK! the guy has the same phone nokia 6620 and he proved with his and it worked fine.. but mine doesn't work.. And yes I do have GPRS and I'm registered because I've used several times with my phone to download things directly with the phone..

According to the technician my blutooth band for wide band or internet... doesn't work fine or has some kind of block.. so I tooked my phone to the cell company and they checked it and they said is fine.. So they gave me a number for one of ther internet experts.. I called the guy and he gave me some hints.. but with no success so far... the answer I guet from the computer is RFCOMM serial channel not available... check authentication in your device..

I'm really pissed because I bought this phone for the wide band capability... f..

Anyway I'm supposed to call the expert again on monday or tuesday and we'll try with his phone and with hi computer (that I assume is a pc)..
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2005, 05:37 PM   #12
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Did you mean that the Mac guy's 6620 woked OK with your iBook?

The RFCOMM serial channel error suggests the Bluetooth connection between your phone and your iBook is not configured correctly. Which is strange as you've already mentioned that you've managed to sync you address/calendar (did you use iSync?) Is the phone fully authenticated with the iBook?

Some cell operators provide two forms of 'Internet' services. The first usually allows you to access WAP sites, via GPRS. The second, usually at extra cost, is meant for 'open' Internet access and will allow you to access POP email and browse the Internet via a notebook and GPRS. This is certainly the case in the UK and Canada.

Are you able to access the Internet using the 6620's built-in POP email client and website (i.e. forums.macrumors.com) using the HTML browser? If not, then that would suggest to me that you're not fully configured on the Operators network.

Hopefully the 'experts' will be able to get you going.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:33 AM   #13
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Did you mean that the Mac guy's 6620 woked OK with your iBook?

The RFCOMM serial channel error suggests the Bluetooth connection between your phone and your iBook is not configured correctly. Which is strange as you've already mentioned that you've managed to sync you address/calendar (did you use iSync?) Is the phone fully authenticated with the iBook?

Some cell operators provide two forms of 'Internet' services. The first usually allows you to access WAP sites, via GPRS. The second, usually at extra cost, is meant for 'open' Internet access and will allow you to access POP email and browse the Internet via a notebook and GPRS. This is certainly the case in the UK and Canada.

Are you able to access the Internet using the 6620's built-in POP email client and website (i.e. forums.macrumors.com) using the HTML browser? If not, then that would suggest to me that you're not fully configured on the Operators network.

Hopefully the 'experts' will be able to get you going.
Exactly the Mac guy's 6620 worked but mine didn't....

and yes I do have wap acces via gprs... and I did sync my phone with the ibook but only for my phone numbers stored on the cell.. And I guess we have the same system as you discribed for UK and Canada...

I'll call customer service and revise what's my status on the services that I have.. thanks Danski... I'll keep trying...!!!!
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:45 AM   #14
mjstew33
macrumors 601

Sorry to be an ass but it's iBook. Not iBOOK, not IBOOK, not ibook. Oh yeah, and Mac is Mac. Not MAC.

We all learn, we all learn....
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:20 AM   #15
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Exactly the Mac guy's 6620 worked but mine didn't....

and yes I do have wap acces via gprs... and I did sync my phone with the ibook but only for my phone numbers stored on the cell.. And I guess we have the same system as you discribed for UK and Canada...

I'll call customer service and revise what's my status on the services that I have.. thanks Danski... I'll keep trying...!!!!
Have you tried sync'ing your Calendar as well or don't you use that functionality?

I suspect it'll be that you're not correctly set up for Internet access with your service provider.

Last edited by Danksi; Nov 12, 2005 at 10:25 AM.
Danksi is offline   0
Old Nov 16, 2005, 05:08 AM   #16
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstewart92
Sorry to be an ass but it's iBook. Not iBOOK, not IBOOK, not ibook. Oh yeah, and Mac is Mac. Not MAC.

We all learn, we all learn....
I-BoOk ibOOk iBOOk IbooK

I'll write it and say it as I WANT I pay for it... LOL!!!!
mbopy22 is offline   0
Old Nov 16, 2005, 05:10 AM   #17
mbopy22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Have you tried sync'ing your Calendar as well or don't you use that functionality?

I suspect it'll be that you're not correctly set up for Internet access with your service provider.
Yes it works with my address book... I don't use the calendar...

And I'm guessing the same as you, unfortunally I do not have enough time this week but I'll try to hunt down the so called "expert..." and see what he can come up with...
mbopy22 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers