Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
My wife and I own a rev A iMac G5 (see sig). From day one it was a fantastic machine. We did not experience any of the fan problems that some people were reporting.

Everything was going very smoothly until September (at which point we had owned the machine for 10 months). At this time, we experienced the unfortunate power supply meltdown that some have reported. Since we were still under warranty, I had the folks at the Apple Store attend to the problem, and it was resolved in a matter of hours.

However, when we got the machine back, we felt that the fans seemed louder. There were also a few performance hitches—things didn't seem as smooth as before.

Since we had just stopped using the air-conditioner (summer was at an end), we decided that maybe the more quiet, A/C free room was causing our perception of louder fan noise.

After about two months of this, I decided to doublecheck. I opened up the back of the machine to see if there was something in there, or if it was exceptionally dusty. Everthing looked fine.

For some reason, I decided to switch the two sticks of RAM—removing each and putting them into the other's spot. I don't know why I did this—for fun perhaps.

Since restarting the machine, the fans have been nonexistent—everything is silky smooth and the computer feels almost like new (except that all my stuff is on it!).

Any idea why this might have fixed the problem?

Anyway...just wanted to share!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.