Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:50 AM   #1
jimmymcnulty
Banned

Apple didn't replace iPhone 5

Hey Forum,

I bought a new iphone 5 on launch day and am now having problems with it.

The home button and power off button sometimes work and sometimes don't.
I tried making up a couple of other problems but the genius bar just fobbed me off saying its your software and the buttons work fine, they restored my phone and said this should sort it.

I had to travel far as there is no apple store in my town and I cant go to apple everytime my iphone buttons stop working as its on and off.

Well today the buttons are playing up again the next day so it cant be software like apple genius bar says, it has to be hardware but they wont agknowledge unless the buttons stop working when in store.

This is my first iphone and I thought apple would have good customer service.

what can I do to get a new phone replacement.
jimmymcnulty is offline   1
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Go back, explain the problem. IF they suggest a restore, tell them you did that last time, no dice. Also make them aware that you are not close to the store and cannot be making multiple trips. Obviously be nice and calm but stern.

If you don't get an ass hat for a genius, you should be good.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymcnulty View Post
Hey Forum,

I tried making up a couple of other problems but the genius bar just fobbed me off saying its your software and the buttons work fine, they restored my phone and said this should sort it.

I had to travel far as there is no apple store in my town and I cant go to apple everytime my iphone buttons stop working as its on and off.

Well today the buttons are playing up again the next day so it cant be software like apple genius bar says, it has to be hardware but they wont agknowledge unless the buttons stop working when in store.

Call in a service ticket with Apple support over the phone. Tell them you live too far away to travel to an Apple Store. They will return ship you a replacement phone. But you will have to pay a deposit for the replacement phone which will be refunded to you once they receive the old phone back.
Coleman2010 is offline   4
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:05 PM   #4
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
Call in a service ticket with Apple support over the phone. Tell them you live too far away to travel to an Apple Store. They will return ship you a replacement phone. But you will have to pay a deposit for the replacement phone which will be refunded to you once they receive the old phone back.
+1
This, I find the express replacement option is much easier. If you have AppleCare+ it is free, but if you don't it is $29. They'll ship you a replacement, then you'll ship your defective phone back. Whether you have AppleCare or not, you they will need a credit or debit card to place a hold for the retail amount of the replacement phone, this is for if you don't return your phone to them. I usually just use my Amex charge card so it doesn't use up my actual avail credit with my other cards. I don't recommend using a debit card as then you're actually out of that money for a good week or so. Try that option and good luck!
joeshmo2010 is offline   1
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:10 PM   #5
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Go back, explain the problem. IF they suggest a restore, tell them you did that last time, no dice.
Word on this. If you restored a backup then you aren't likely to get a replacement as they will say that you might have just put the crap software right back on. And don't restore it immediately before going in as they won't have any thing reporting in their diagnostics. Wipe it like 24 hours before you go. Syncing contacts etc is fine. It's typically old text messages that are the dead giveaway.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hey Forum,

You deserved it.
RichardC300 is offline   11
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
You deserved it.
Seems people managed to miss that. If you need to make up problems then don't be surprised when no one fixes your fantasy issues. As for the actual issue, I will certainly ask them to look at the phone once more. It is very hard to tell whether or not there is an actual issue given the fact that something had to be made up just talk to the genius.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

If you have a home button problem, it will only get worse with time, give it a month or so it will be a constant thing, then you can easily reproduce at the store
Tiger8 is offline   2
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Why not just call Apple and have them expedite an iPhone for you instead of wasting your time traveling back and forth?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You deserved it.
I made up additional problems to increase my likelihood of getting a replacement iPhone. I was successful.
Coleman2010 is offline   1
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:02 AM   #11
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I made up additional problems to increase my likelihood of getting a replacement iPhone. I was successful.
And this is why we can't have nice things.
RichardC300 is offline   10
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:31 AM   #12
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I understand the point of view that "if he made stuff up, sucks for him", but at the same time, he had a legitimate issue. I can see both sides here... Apple can't just swap phones out for any little thing. At the same time, there are plenty of issues that can be intermittent, annoying, and replaceable under the definition of the warranty.

Best of luck getting this resolved, OP. I certainly won't judge you.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:38 AM   #13
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

OP, take a video of the problems your iPhone is facing, and show it to the genius from another device or pull up the video from an email or YouTube from an in-store Mac to show what is happening with the iPhone. Make sure to clearly show the serial number from the back and in the Settings menu, and re-create the problems. This is a good alternative for when you cannot recreate your hardware problems in-store. I had to do this with a front-facing camera problem with my 4S when I couldn't replicate the problems in-store. Decided to make a video and also screenshot the problems (there were these weird distorted lines when used during FaceTime/pictures, rendering the front cam useless) and it was replaced then, no questions asked.

I understand the Apple Store is a ways away from you, however if you're uncomfortable with sending in your iPhone with no assurance it'll be covered and they won't charge your card (IMHO, I would be, but that's just me), this is another option.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:45 AM   #14
ERIC273
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to ERIC273
Quote:
Or, if you can send your phone in first, and they'll send you a box with an express (next-day) label on it.
ERIC273 is offline   1
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
And this is why we can't have nice things.
No. This is why we get our iPhones replaced.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:13 PM   #16
jimmymcnulty
Banned

sorted

cheers for the replys guys.

got my brand new phone today after threatening to pursue a consumer law claim.

not refurbished either, straight sealed box.
jimmymcnulty is offline   3
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:48 AM   #17
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Glad to hear.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:53 AM   #18
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Good for you. Now imagine you bring your car in for a check up due to whatever reason. The mechanic makes up additional problems.

You're cool with that? Because I mean, you're man enough to admit that you're lying and cheating to get what you want, so I reckon you're not gonna be hypocritical about it and cry like a spoiled little brat when others do the same thing to you, right?

----------

Quote:

I've bought a refurb once, it came in a sealed box with all the protective covers etc. as the brand new ones does. And that wasn't even through Apple... I only noticed it because the Lifetime Call Time counter was showing something like 12 hours of usage after I set it up. At least now I know how Groupon can offer Apple products as cheap as they do

Check http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html in case you want to know the production week. If it's a new one, it shouldn't be more than a week or two old.
hafr is offline   4
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:22 AM   #19
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Good for you. Now imagine you bring your car in for a check up due to whatever reason. The mechanic makes up additional problems.

You're cool with that? Because I mean, you're man enough to admit that you're lying and cheating to get what you want, so I reckon you're not gonna be hypocritical about it and cry like a spoiled little brat when others do the same thing to you, right?

----------

I've bought a refurb once, it came in a sealed box with all the protective covers etc. as the brand new ones does. And that wasn't even through Apple... I only noticed it because the Lifetime Call Time counter was showing something like 12 hours of usage after I set it up. At least now I know how Groupon can offer Apple products as cheap as they do

Check http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html in case you want to know the production week. If it's a new one, it shouldn't be more than a week or two old.
Blah blah blah...

I paid for AppleCare+. I paid in advance for improved warranty service. Did you?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:20 AM   #20
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Blah blah blah...

I paid for AppleCare+. I paid in advance for improved warranty service. Did you?
Haha, are you for real? In what way does you having AC+ justify making up issues to get a replacement?

And how is it relevant if I have AC+ or not?

"I have a fire insurance, so it's totally fine for me to lie about what I lost in the fire", or why not "I have an income insurance so it's okay for me to lie on my tax returns". Do you think these are valid arguments?
hafr is offline   4
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:24 AM   #21
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hey Forum,

You probably sounded like a moron, hypochondriac-like.

You brought that response on yourself.

Call Apple support, ask for an Express Replacement.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:35 AM   #22
zigzagg321
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hey Forum,

I hate it when people like you go fishing for non existent issues... such a waste of time.
zigzagg321 is offline   1
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:55 AM   #23
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post

You sure you didnt restore it? because if you restore from icloud or via itunes, it will bring back your old phones lifetime call timer...just checking.

Refurb or not, it will show 0 as lifetime call timer as I'm sure they do restore the devices to factory via iTunes before packing them...
Satnam1989 is offline   1
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:33 PM   #24
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
You sure you didnt restore it? because if you restore from icloud or via itunes, it will bring back your old phones lifetime call timer...just checking.

Refurb or not, it will show 0 as lifetime call timer as I'm sure they do restore the devices to factory via iTunes before packing them...
I really can't recall if I checked it before or after... Well, in that case it's even weirder because it was sent to Belgium from Spain and the box had the Nordic languages printed on it
hafr is offline   1
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:27 PM   #25
jimmymcnulty
Banned

i lied

oh by thee way, there was nothing wrong with phone, i dropped it first time in 9 months and scratched and dented the back.
just wanted a new phone so sells better in 2 months when iphone 5s comes out.

all you nutters on here fight amongst yourselves.
losers
jimmymcnulty is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland