Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmarkt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
California
In this string: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1492568/, it is explained how to affect whether Mac Mail displays attachments "in-line" (within the body of the email), or "attached".

Does this mean that, when using Mac Mail, you must fire up Terminal, and copy and paste, each time you need to "attach" (if it's set at "in-line"), or conversely? What a drag!

Doesn't Mac Mail have an "insert" if your choice is "in-line"; otherwise, it attaches?????

NikMac

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
Canada
Sorry if I misunderstood the question, but I think if you right click on the attachment you should be able to select "View as Icon" (or "View in Place" if it is already an icon).

jmarkt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
California
Hi NikMak - Here's what I meant:

(1) If I want to send an attachment as a true attachment, i.e. not simply showing in the body of the email (in line), I have to open Terminal, and paste the following: "defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes". This allows me to send (for example) at PDF file as an actual attachment. Without doing this, the document will simply show up, within the body of text, and recipients ask, "Where's the attachment?"

(2) However, I can open Terminal again, and paste the following: "defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool false", and "attachments" added by selecting the paper clip will once again appear in the body of text - not as an attachment - but as an image within the email.

If I receive an email with jpeg images within the text, (2) above allows me to view them; however, if I then need to send a text and include an attachment, I need to do (1) above.

Hope that makes sense?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Sorry if I misunderstood the question, but I think if you right click on the attachment you should be able to select "View as Icon" (or "View in Place" if it is already an icon).

Hi NikMak - Here's what I meant:

(1) If I want to send an attachment as a true attachment, i.e. not simply showing in the body of the email (in line), I have to open Terminal, and paste the following: "defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes". This allows me to send (for example) at PDF file as an actual attachment. Without doing this, the document will simply show up, within the body of text, and recipients ask, "Where's the attachment?"

(2) However, I can open Terminal again, and paste the following: "defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool false", and "attachments" added by selecting the paper clip will once again appear in the body of text - not as an attachment - but as an image within the email.

If I receive an email with jpeg images within the text, (2) above allows me to view them; however, if I then need to send a text and include an attachment, I need to do (1) above.

Hope that makes sense?

NikMac has it correct. Just do as he has suggested. You do not need to use Terminal to achieve an Icon or Inline attachment in Mac Mail.

jmarkt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
California
I GET IT! If I add an image, intending it to be an attachment, I can right click on it, and select View As Icon, and it will then become a legitimate attachment that recipients can click on and open.

Thanks! I can now put Terminal to rest:):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.