Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Doctor Q
Administrator

Hot hot hot!

The western U.S. is having a heat wave for the record books.

It was 116 (Fahrenheit) in Phoenix yesterday and expected to go higher. The all-time record there is 122. Even heading up to Sedona won't help much; it's in the 110s there. Flying out of town has its own problems. Hot air reduces lift so planes have more trouble taking off in hot weather, although the major commercial jets can get off the ground in up to 126 degree temperatures.

It's 119 in Palm Springs and not even noon yet.

The hottest place on the planet is Death Valley here in California, where the all-time record was 134 degrees in July 1913. Here we are 100 years later and it's already 129 degrees there today. It could reach or pass 130 before we're done.

This is not a good week for illegal immigrants to cross the border from Mexico and try to make it through the desert. They'll be a lot safer if the border patrol catches them.

Hundreds of people had to be treated after overheating at a Las Vegas concert. The heat is also dangerous for seniors and pets. Don't walk Fido if the sidewalk is too hot to touch!

A lot of people along the coast will head for the beaches. We'll probably go somewhere air-conditioned to keep cool, like a mall or a movie theater.

The heat is expected to continue into next week. Americans in western states might not have to light their firecrackers on Independence Day. Just hold them in directly sunlight and they'll catch on fire!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
rhett7660
macrumors 604

It is blazing right now........ Stay cool people. I am in the Greater LA area and man o man.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
turtle777
macrumors 6502

Yeah, well, it's 66F in Chicago. WTF ?

-t
turtle777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Prof.
macrumors 601

A friend and classmate of mine told me that the wind patterns are changing and will have a huge impact on regional climates. The midwest will have mild winters with cooler wetter summers, and the west coast will have much hotter summers. He learned all this in his weather forecasting class so I have no valid source to confirm or deny this. Take with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

As I understand it, upper-level jet streams that normally travel in more or less of a straight line have begun to oscillate a lot recently, causing weather cells to remain stationary instead of breaking up or moving along.

Scientists don't know exactly what is causing this, but global climate change is the obvious suspect. Nor do they know what this portends for us, particularly whether it will get worse.

It's scary. Those science fiction movies we saw may be coming true.

More here.
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Nermal

It's 6 (metric, of course) here if anyone wants to visit...
Nermal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
He learned all this in his weather forecasting class so I have no valid source to confirm or deny this. Take with a grain of salt.
and I thought they used a dart board to predict weather . Weather forecasting may be an inexact science but they still are unable to correctly forecast the weather even two days from now.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
I would. I like cold weather.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:55 PM   #8
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Man I love the cold. That is why I live in Northern Canada. When it is hot, you can only do so much to get comfortable. At least when it is -20 Celsius you can dress till you are comfortable. Was unfortunately +30 Celsius today here and we are expecting more heat for next week or so.

Might take you up on you offer to visit. As you can probably tell, winter is my friend.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Man I love the cold...
Maybe you should turn down the temperature on your avatar!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:11 AM   #10
Doctor Q
Administrator

Today's highs:
  • Needles, California: 123 (hottest on record)
  • Phoenix: 119 (4th hottest on record)
  • Las Vegas: 115 (it was 115 yesterday too)
Three cities set records for the hottest June day ever:
  • San Antonio: 108
  • Houston: 107
  • Salt Lake City: 105
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:02 AM   #11
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

This is another reason why I am glad to be out of California. I always find it funny when people complain about the heat in Georgia. Sure it gets uncomfortable out. But you never get the kind of heat that hits you like a sledgehammer making you immediately want to find shelter and causes you to start pouring sweat. Heat that even a brand new house and A/C can't keep up with.

That was only the wimpy heat of LA and Sacramento. I couldn't imagine Death Valley or Phoenix.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:56 AM   #12
kaldezar
macrumors member

I know these are serious hot temperatures for weak lily livered americans but in the real world places like Baghdad have temperatures as high if not higher than these through out the summer. I think americans need to man up!, BTW Baghdad is currently experiencing a cooler summer than usual but is still hotter than Phoenix!

Last edited by kaldezar; Jul 1, 2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: wanted to add more
kaldezar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Doctor Q
Administrator

Weekend records:
  • Lancaster, California: 115, beating the all-time record from 1948.
  • Las Vegas: 117, tying the all-time record.
  • Death Valley: 119, tying the all-time U.S. record for June.
It was a mere 111 in Baghdad yesterday.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:40 PM   #14
rhett7660
macrumors 604

On a side note is it nice and breeze in the big easy right now! Just a touch of humidity. I don't miss southern cal right now that is for sure!!!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:41 PM   #15
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:
Man I love the cold. That is why I live in Northern Canada. When it is hot, you can only do so much to get comfortable. At least when it is -20 Celsius you can dress till you are comfortable. Was unfortunately +30 Celsius today here and we are expecting more heat for next week or so.

Might take you up on you offer to visit. As you can probably tell, winter is my friend.
Or as some would put it: a lazy fireman.
juanm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:22 PM   #16
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm View Post
Or as some would put it: a lazy fireman.
Lost me? Man been looking and thinking about your quote for past 10 minutes and am totally lost on it. Maybe a little prompt from you might help this old guy. Old Timers Disease.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:38 PM   #17
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:
Lost me? Man been looking and thinking about your quote for past 10 minutes and am totally lost on it. Maybe a little prompt from you might help this old guy. Old Timers Disease.
Firedept -> Fireman // Fireman who doesn't like to work extinguishing wildfires -> Fireman who doesn't like hot weather. Nothing worth losing your sleep over, don't worry.
juanm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:47 PM   #18
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm View Post
Firedept -> Fireman // Fireman who doesn't like to work extinguishing wildfires -> Fireman who doesn't like hot weather. Nothing worth losing your sleep over, don't worry.
Never took it offensively. Pretty hard to offend this old guy. Just as hard thought fighting a fire in -30 celsius temperature as in the heat. Just with the heat you never get a break from it. Go into the heat then come back out to it.

Like I really feel for FF Jumpers. They work real hard and have to be at the top of their game to do it.

At least when I come out of a fire in the winter, the worst I have to worry about is frozen gear, which in most cases can be fixed. But really difficult to move in when frozen.

Appreciate the response back. Just was lost with brain fart and again no offense taken.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:35 PM   #19
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
I always find it funny when people complain about the heat in Georgia. Sure it gets uncomfortable out. But you never get the kind of heat that hits you like a sledgehammer making you immediately want to find shelter and causes you to start pouring sweat.
The heat in GA doesn't bother me as much as the humidity. Every time we go back to visit, I remember why I like Seattle weather.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:37 PM   #20
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Yesterday (July 1, 2013) where I lived it peaked at miserable 42 C. outside at 1736 hours PDT--and the air conditioner was NOT working well. It was really bad in the house.

Today (July 2, 2013), thanks to the breezes from the Sacramento River Delta kicking up and the air conditioner getting its refrigerant fully recharged, it's now down to 35.4 C. outside and is vastly cooler in the house.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:52 PM   #21
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This is another reason why I am glad to be out of California. I always find it funny when people complain about the heat in Georgia. Sure it gets uncomfortable out. But you never get the kind of heat that hits you like a sledgehammer making you immediately want to find shelter and causes you to start pouring sweat. Heat that even a brand new house and A/C can't keep up with.

That was only the wimpy heat of LA and Sacramento. I couldn't imagine Death Valley or Phoenix.
106 on Friday
110 on Saturday
104 on Sunday
106 on Monday
103 Today..

All in wimpy Sacramento.

We get the dry heat here as well, especially when the high pressure sits in the Vegas/Phoenix valley. Add to that a wildfire between us and S. Lake Tahoe, and we're catching crappy air quality too. Excessive heat advisories have been in effect here since 6/27/13 and is expected to last until 7/6/13.

But I'm used to it. I moved to here from Las Vegas.

In the high desert's defense, compared to humid heat in my hometown of Omaha and where my relatives are in Oklahoma and Texas, at least you aren't going to get bit to death by gnats and mosquitos from 6pm until the following morning!

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:39 AM   #22
Doctor Q
Administrator

The city of Lancaster, California set an all-time record of 115 degrees, breaking the previous record by 5 degrees.

A guy named Jon Rice from heatrunning.com tried to set a record by running a mile in Death Valley wearing a Darth Vader costume. It's an annual event and here's the 2011 video:

He runs on the painted highway line. Otherwise his shoes could melt on the asphalt!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:19 PM   #23
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
106 on Friday
110 on Saturday
104 on Sunday
106 on Monday
103 Today..

All in wimpy Sacramento.

We get the dry heat here as well, especially when the high pressure sits in the Vegas/Phoenix valley. Add to that a wildfire between us and S. Lake Tahoe, and we're catching crappy air quality too. Excessive heat advisories have been in effect here since 6/27/13 and is expected to last until 7/6/13.

But I'm used to it. I moved to here from Las Vegas.

In the high desert's defense, compared to humid heat in my hometown of Omaha and where my relatives are in Oklahoma and Texas, at least you aren't going to get bit to death by gnats and mosquitos from 6pm until the following morning!

BL.
That is wimpy compared to temperatures in the 120's or even 130's.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:42 PM   #24
turtle777
macrumors 6502

Ha. Chicago has come around.

Days in the 80ies, nights in the 60ies. Absolutely perfect.

-t
turtle777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:44 AM   #25
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:

Not to sound too corny or trite here, but it's not the heat that gets to you in Georgia, it's the godawful humidity. The only thing worse than heat that hits you like a sledgehammer is heat that wraps around you like a sopping wet wool blanket and suffocates you with muggy hotness.

Though this hasn't been the case this year. Barring a couple of days, we've been having a fairly mild summer.
Renzatic is online now   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events