Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeigler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
Hi all,

I've always rented a modem/router to go along with my Comcast HSI service, but after the latest price increase to my Triple Bundle, I'm in serious cut-the-cord mode. I've already dropped Comcast TV in favor for a DirecTV deal, and I'm three days away from having my home phone number ported to the Ooma Telo that I've bought.

But I'm stuck with Comcast for high speed internet. That's not awful news — I don't hate their service, but I do hate the $7 the company is now charging for a modem/router, so I'm looking for to buy a modem to feed into my Time Capsule.

It's shaping up to be a not-so-simple task. Complicating matters is the fact that several of the reviews I see on Amazon for devices that are on the Comcast-approved devices list indicate that those models, when bought via Amazon, don't work. You'll find an example in the reviews for this Arris modem.

So, any Comcast customers out there who own their own docsis 3.0-modem? If so, can you share what you're using?

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
i'm running the SB6121 on Comcast (San Francisco) and it's working fine for me.

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Cisco Cable Modem

FWIW, about a year ago I purchased this model from Amazon (Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem) that was on the Comcast list. I've had no problems with it and I get 50+ Mbps download and ~11 Mbps upload. YMMV. Good luck.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
The Motorola SB6141 is pretty much top of the line as far as modems go these days, but if you want something a little less pricey the SB6121 is still a great modem. It is last years "best modem".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.