Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Best hand held Vacuums type

I had a Dustbuster for years and loved it--then battery would only hold a small charge.

So about a year ago I went on Amazon and a Dirt Devil got great reviews so I ordered it. I hated it--had to use all of my force to remove it from the charging station and it almost had to be held vertically to pickup anything. Pros--long lasting battery and powerful.

Any way the other day while trying to remove it from the base station the station broke so I am in the market again, but I have my doubts lately about Amazon reviews, not just with this.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Anything with batteries will eventually have battery failure. This is in the nature of the batteries, and there's not much you can do about it. Replacement batteries may well cost as much as a new unit, if replacements are available at all.

So consider how you use it, and whether a corded unit that plugs into AC power might be a better choice.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3
rhett7660
macrumors G3

I use the Shark. Have had it for about six years. The piece that holds on the collection tube finally broke, so we bought another unit and use it and keep the other parts as spare. No complaints.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
I had a Dustbuster for years and loved it--then battery would only hold a small charge.

So about a year ago I went on Amazon and a Dirt Devil got great reviews so I ordered it. I hated it--had to use all of my force to remove it from the charging station and it almost had to be held vertically to pickup anything. Pros--long lasting battery and powerful.

Any way the other day while trying to remove it from the base station the station broke so I am in the market again, but I have my doubts lately about Amazon reviews, not just with this.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
I have two different types, a plug-in Shark and a battery Ryobi. Both are great.

The Shark is an actual vacuum with the roller thing and a hose which can be pulled off to get into small corners. It picks up everything. But it is LOUD and gets very hot. It picks up enough that if I don't clean it top to bottom frequently, it gets mucked up inside and will overheat. Still a great little vacuum.

The Ryobi one was part of a set of battery-operated tools, so they all use the same battery. It's about the size of a Dust Buster. It picks up normal stuff pretty good. But when I put on the detail attachment, I swear that think could suck the red off a brick.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
In your quest for a quality hand held unit for vacuum type duties, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Fleshlight range of products.

KGB
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Aylan
macrumors regular

While pricey, the Dyson Handheld is BY FAR the best vacuum I've ever had. The battery lasts around 20 minutes and it is the only drawback besides price.
Aylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:59 PM   #7
determined09
macrumors 6502

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...Fc5DMgodZQIAow
Old Jul 4, 2013, 02:04 AM   #8
firstrev360
macrumors member

Black & Decker CHV1510 Dustbuster works great for me. I have been using it for years.
firstrev360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 02:15 AM   #9
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Dyson Handheld is like black magic.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion