Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Per the subject, wondering if there's a utility or command that will tell me how many total data has been written to my MBA's flash storage. On my Windows PC's I use Intel SSD Toolbox (if it's an Intel drive) or Crystal Disk Info for other drives to get this info. Is there something similar for OSX?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Per the subject, wondering if there's a utility or command that will tell me how many total data has been written to my MBA's flash storage. On my Windows PC's I use Intel SSD Toolbox (if it's an Intel drive) or Crystal Disk Info for other drives to get this info. Is there something similar for OSX?

For what purpose? It's been regularly proven that your flash memory will long outlive the usefulness of the drive (ie it would take 30 years for the memory to wear out but by then you won't have a computer that could use the drive anyway). More than likely your controller on the drive will die first rendering the flash memory useless. Just use it and be happy!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
For what purpose? It's been regularly proven that your flash memory will long outlive the usefulness of the drive (ie it would take 30 years for the memory to wear out but by then you won't have a computer that could use the drive anyway). More than likely your controller on the drive will die first rendering the flash memory useless. Just use it and be happy!

I'm a geek and just curious. It would in no way affect my usage of the machine.

vreihen

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
I dispute the claimed 30-year lifetime of current SSD technology. In a real life Windows 7 notebook, I managed to blow a Samsung 470 SSD into a pile of wear-leveled sand in slightly over two years (without swapping to it). Like that drive, Samsung's current offerings are rated based on 20 GB writes/day, and I highly doubt that they have some magic flash chips that they sell only to Apple and don't use in their own branded SSD drives that have a major lifetime upgrade.

With that said, the SSD drive went from "one bad block" to "forget about rescuing your saved data" in just a few days. Not like I'm upset or anything, since the drive failed the day that the new MBA was announced a few weeks ago and I have a nice, shiny new computer to start over on. :D Having been through the failure, I want a meter that shows me the write statistics so that I know when I should be expecting my new MBA to start having issues. It would also be handy for people looking into buying used MBA's, so they know about how much SSD life a used computer has left in it.

So, back to the OP's question, is there such a utility on the MBA?????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.