Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Hi all,

I had server for mountain lion installed on my iMac. A few days ago, i called apple and asked the proper way to uninstall.
They transferred me to the enterprise department
the person informed me that i needed to drag server to the trashcan, which brought up a prompt that all server services were stopping......and that i would need to reinstall
He also said i could trash the server folder in the system library....which i did.
my question is, why in terminal now does it still show server? see attached picture

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2013-06-29_at_10.49.04_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2013-06-29_at_10.49.04_PM.png
    16 KB · Views: 134

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Just open the Sharing pane in System Preferences and change the name.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
There are three names used by OSX. ComputerName, LocalhostName and HostName.

The one shown in terminal is HostName and is normally set by a Directory Service (Active Directory or Open Directory). You can change it using the scutil command.

sudo scutil --set HostName putyournamehere

Note the two - signs, this is not a mistake.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The hostname is also set by DHCP. This overwrites the hostname in the Sharing pane in System Preferences. Make sure to change it in that pane, do what Kasalic tells you and make sure the DHCP server in your network gives out the correct hostname as well (DHCP is used to manage ip-settings and roll it out to clients; it is NOT the same as a dynamic ip-address!!!).

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
ok so i can check which hostname DHCP is given out by after changing it with the scutil command, i should then see that in the hostname in the sharing pref pane?

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
i tried sudo scutil --set HostName putyournamehere
didnt work, still says server in terminal

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
You have to exit and then quit terminal before the change will show up.

I have, still no change. Would the changing the Netbios name do anything? It was listed as server. I changed it the computer name in system pref/sharing. Would that also cause any other issues?

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Did you do as dyn suggested regarding DHCP Client ID in network settings?

Depending on how your DHCP is set up, you may be able to use the "DHCP client ID".

System Preferences.
Network
Select your network adapter on the left.
Select "Advanced" button at the bottom.
Set the "DHCP client ID" to your hostname.
If your DHCP server supports it, your hostname will be used for your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.