Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjamin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I got fed up with trying to find a wallet case for the iPhone 5 that wasn't hugemongous and would hold a couple of cards safely. So, as a curious engineer, naturally I decided to investigate making my own! One thing led to another and, after a ton of great feedback (and nearly a year), I actually ended up molding a bunch.

I wanted to post a note here to share the concept! There are a few pictures and a video here: http://getremora.com/. Not everyone rocks their iPhone bare, but there are a lot of us who do. I can get by almost every day now with just my ID and CC (and a $20 bill stashed in-between).

Believe it or not the whole design, development, and manufacturing has just been run by myself and a good friend. And we only made a few hundred of each color to start. Anyone dig the style? I'd be happy to send off a couple free ones (probably 2-3, in any color) if any forum members are interested in testing it out! More feedback the better. :D

Here's a shot I just took a few minutes ago (and cropped out the background) of my white iPhone 5 with our blue Remora.
MG_6219-5-export_grande.jpg

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
If only they were for iPhone 4/4S. I'd buy like 3 of them for me and the others in my house. In any case I would LOVE to get in on this to use on my iPhone 5 that I'm about to get.

EDIT: I just saw on the website you do have them for a 4. Could I possibly get in on one of those? PM me or I can PM you or email. I've been looking for a good wallet case for DAYS. Currently I'm using an Azra and it SUCKS.

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I got fed up with trying to find a wallet case for the iPhone 5 that wasn't hugemongous and would hold a couple of cards safely. So, as a curious engineer, naturally I decided to investigate making my own! One thing led to another and, after a ton of great feedback (and nearly a year), I actually ended up molding a bunch.

I wanted to post a note here to share the concept! There are a few pictures and a video here: http://getremora.com/. Not everyone rocks their iPhone bare, but there are a lot of us who do. I can get by almost every day now with just my ID and CC (and a $20 bill stashed in-between).

Believe it or not the whole design, development, and manufacturing has just been run by myself and a good friend. And we only made a few hundred of each color to start. Anyone dig the style? I'd be happy to send off a couple free ones (probably 2-3, in any color) if any forum members are interested in testing it out! More feedback the better. :D

Here's a shot I just took a few minutes ago (and cropped out the background) of my white iPhone 5 with our blue Remora.

I would love to try one. You can email me at bw (@) bbmail (dot) in.

bjamin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Cool! Unless I'm completely stupid, I don't think my noob account let's me do PM's yet. In that case...

Andrew: Could you shoot me a note to ben [at] outpostlabs.com? Let me know what color you want and where I should send it to! I'll fire one off.

Truciet: Same thing!

Dalton: Sure! I'll send you a 4. The iPhone 5 design is slightly more polished from a phone-fitment perspective (as far as the card storage goes, they are both the same and work excellent.) The 4's are just a tad more snug on the phones - but are still great. Can you shoot me an email with the info I requested from Andrew? I only made black for the 4's.

rocknblogger: Shot you a note!

I should be able to send out one more iPhone 5 one if anyone else is interested. Of course, I look forward to hearing some feedback from you guys who are getting the freebies! :D

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Just dropped the email with my address, my username on this forum(just in case), and a reminder that it's for an iPhone 4 version, since I just had to be the oddball of the bunch.

I'll definitely do a review on it after I've used it a few days. Not having something like this is the only reason I don't use my iPhone naked as it is. Thanks a lot!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
The design is actually interesting, perfect for users like me who doesn't have a case and wants to be just minimalist. Sent you an email too if there's room for one.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
If it wasn't for the fact I need some protection, I'd be asking for one. Well, that and I'll have a Bullet Safe one coming my way soon :p

But I like the design. Definitely interesting.

fdxgnd

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I love the concept. If it works with a back and front skin count me in. That's awesome.

newskin

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
To those that will be receiving the ones to give feedback on, please be as detailed as possible with your everyday usage of this. I've been looking for a wallet case like this since 3gs days. Thx all.

After watching the video I'm not sure how well it will secure my cards if I'm constantly on the move, biking, jogging, hiking. Will be waiting on the feedback

bjamin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Got your note Rayfire!

fdxgnd: What type of skin do you have? It works with most screen protectors (depending on exact thickness and size). Shoot me an email.

Brian: Replied! You got the last one allocated for samples.

Wish I could give out more... but something tells me that might not be great for self-preservation. I'm excited to hear what you all think of them! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to carrying a traditional wallet in my pocket. :apple:

newskin: I'm going to try to record a short video today that shows me using cards so you get an idea of how secure they are. It's really much more robust as far as latching goes than looks at first glance - which is kind of the nice hidden feature.

fdxgnd

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Bjamin, I can't send an email. Can't figure out why. Anyway, I have a bestskin on front and back. I'll take one off to use your case. But I think it would be good if I test to see if it fits for your future sales. Thank you for your time.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
If you need someone else to check out the 4S version let me know. Otherwise I'll wait for some of these reviews before purchasing. Looks like a great idea though.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Hi bjamin,

I got a black iPhone 5 and like to try one. I'd like to get rid of my wallet...nice design. Please PM me or let me know in here.

Thank u,
rperalta

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Ben is sending me a red one to try out. I've got a 5 with the clear Ghost Armor on the front, back and around the metal band so I'll let y'all know how it works when I get mine later in the week. If I really like it I will probably order another for my wife in the near future. That is assuming Ben actually has units available for sale at this point.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Ben is sending me a red one to try out. I've got a 5 with the clear Ghost Armor on the front, back and around the metal band so I'll let y'all know how it works when I get mine later in the week. If I really like it I will probably order another for my wife in the near future. That is assuming Ben actually has units available for sale at this point.

Same here, I got the black one. I've been waiting for a case with a minimalistic design yet can carry cards/cash/ID all in one. This it looks like, will be it the solution I've been waiting for.

aw2575

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I would absolutely love one. I keep trying cases, but nothing beats the bare phone. I've been looking for something minimal to have to carry my necessities and this looks perfect. So if you still have any to spare, I would love to try one.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I rock my phone without a case since I've got this phone. I would love to try one out, I would not mind purchasing one at even a discount if you weren't giving anymore free ones out. Thanks!

bjamin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
@Rising, aw2575, meltdown: No more samples left, sorry! I gave quite a few more out than I had planned! But, I'm really excited to see the interest from everyone. I'm psyched!

@Brian: I do have some for sale right now - I just allocated a set for samples :D You can order the 5 Remora here.

Although I can't send anymore out for free... if folks would like to go ahead and order one, you can use TELEPORT at checkout to wipe out the domestic shipping charges ($4). Nothing to sneeze at! I won't actually be able to teleport it to you, though. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.