Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:01 AM   #1
larry918
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Buying MBA 2013 in China?

Hi there,

As a student, I would love to have the new '13 Macbook Air, but because of the Chinese Gov., I can't?! Because of Apple's store policy, and the fact that I'm currently residing in China, I am only able to shop the Chinese online store. However, when I would like to select the Macbook Air for purchase, I get a strange message (translated by google) saying that this product has to be approved by the gov. before entering public release. I find this honestly ridiculous. Any thoughts?
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:07 AM   #2
scyap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Same for my country too, it's probably Pending Regulatory Approval
?

Do you have "Available to ship" date?


scyap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:22 AM   #3
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Glad to know someone out there is experiencing my frustration

However, the Chinese online store is a bit different, I can't even press select.
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:24 AM   #4
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
No shipping date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-06-30 at 3.25.56 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	420675  
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:44 AM   #5
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry918 View Post
... get a strange message (translated by google) saying that this product has to be approved by the gov. before entering public release. I find this honestly ridiculous. Any thoughts?
Thoughts? What do you expect, you're living in a Communist country where the govt controls everything.
TC25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:08 AM   #6
808?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Pop down to Hong Kong, no restrictions here at all.

808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:53 AM   #7
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Laughed pretty hard at that communist comment! Luckily, moving back to the US for high school. Also, I am considering buying one in HK, already have them in my cart.
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:55 AM   #8
Lunfai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Buy one in HK, they're dirt cheap...
Lunfai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:10 AM   #9
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Y'know, I just might. I'm getting pretty sick of China's ****. Dad's going on a business trip Thursday, think it would be wise to place an order now? From what I've seen, most of these orders ship from HK, so it would be fast right? However, he's only there for Thurs-Fri, so it's risky...
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:21 AM   #10
808?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry918 View Post
Y'know, I just might. I'm getting pretty sick of China's ****. Dad's going on a business trip Thursday, think it would be wise to place an order now? From what I've seen, most of these orders ship from HK, so it would be fast right? However, he's only there for Thurs-Fri, so it's risky...
Just get your dad to walk into any one of the 3 Apple retail stores in Hong Kong, most have plenty of stock on hand.

Your dad can use the Apple Store app to order online and collect at the retail store.

Easy stuff.
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:43 AM   #11
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I'll ask him to try, but his time is pretty limited. Usually his schedule is:

Arrive -> meeting -> meeting -> dinner -> hotel -> conference call -> next morning first flight to Beijing
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:51 AM   #12
808?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hong Kong
IFC store is 9am - 9pm

Causeway Bay store is 10am - 10pm

Between those 2 he should be able to find 15 mins to pop in and out.
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:02 AM   #13
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
@808?

Thanks for all your help! Would I have to create another Apple ID to make the purchase?
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:05 AM   #14
808?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry918 View Post
@808?

Thanks for all your help! Would I have to create another Apple ID to make the purchase?
If your dad is just going to walk in and buy from retail, then no Apple ID required, if you plan to buy online, then you should be able to change online stores with the same Apple ID I believe.

Personally I would just get your dad to walk in and buy on the spot, I won't risk ordering it online in case he doesn't have time to collect it.
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:25 AM   #15
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Wow...none of the stores are eligible for pickup apparently. ;( This is for both the regular base model and for the customized i5/8gb/256.

----------

Also in case this isn't clear, I would really like the extra RAM, so unless the Apple retail stores sell 8gb, I'm going with online.
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:30 AM   #16
808?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Most of the retail stores stock all of the various MBA models, so its not an issue to get a 8GB ram version if you like.

Again, just get your dad to walk in a buy in person, give him the model number you want.
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:20 AM   #17
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Thanks for the advice!
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry918 View Post
Hi there,

As a student, I would love to have the new '13 Macbook Air, but because of the Chinese Gov., I can't?! Because of Apple's store policy, and the fact that I'm currently residing in China, I am only able to shop the Chinese online store. However, when I would like to select the Macbook Air for purchase, I get a strange message (translated by google) saying that this product has to be approved by the gov. before entering public release. I find this honestly ridiculous. Any thoughts?
Below the specs, where there is supposed to be the select button, it reads “Will be introduced soon” and the red below the prices reads “(We) have to wait for approval from the relevant government organs before we can supply this product. We cannot sell (the product) before receiving this approval.”

Basically, you have to wait a month or so before you can get newly released Apple products in China.

However, it’s cheaper to buy it in HK even if you get the student discount because of taxes, etc.

In China, the base 2013 13 inch Air with the student discount will be 7,588 yuan when it is introduced = $1,235

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 5.11.26 AM.png
Views:	36
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	420746

In HK, the base 2013 13 inch Air *without* the student discount is HK$ 8,488 = $1,094

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 5.13.30 AM.png
Views:	28
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	420747

With the student discount, the base 2013 13 inch Air is HK8,088 in Hong Kong = $1,042, but you probably won’t be able to get it unless you have a Hong Kong student ID.
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:35 PM   #19
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyap View Post
Same for my country too, it's probably Pending Regulatory Approval?
Wonder if it's because of the new 802.11ac WiFi?

AFAIK, the FCC in the US has to test/approve any product with WiFi/cellular/etc before the manufacturer can sell it.

Here's all the FCC stuff they had to go through just to get the latest AppleTV on the market.

Wouldn't be surprised if other countries had similar policies, and with 802.11ac being new, testing isn't going as quickly.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Wonder if it's because of the new 802.11ac WiFi?

AFAIK, the FCC in the US has to test/approve any product with WiFi/cellular/etc before the manufacturer can sell it.

Here's all the FCC stuff they had to go through just to get the latest AppleTV on the market.

Wouldn't be surprised if other countries had similar policies, and with 802.11ac being new, testing isn't going as quickly.
Perhaps, but new Apple products always take a month or two before they are introduced in the PRC. For example, the rMBP was available immediately in Hong Kong when it was introduced, but it was more than two months before it became available in Mainland China even though it was shipping from there to other parts of the world.
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:11 PM   #21
larry918
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
True, I remember the iPhone 4 was delayed as well.
larry918 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Yeah men, no need to bash China. Every which place have their own bureaucracy. Hong Kong though is shopping haven and laze faire government with minimum bureaucracy.

They just don't want u mainlanders buying all their, melamine-free, powder milk, but electronics all u can carry
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:17 AM   #23
James717
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Thoughts? What do you expect, you're living in a Communist country where the govt controls everything.
Wrong.

In Apple's case, they really are awaiting pending Government approval.

This is NOT only in China, but in other Asian countries as well (which are far from Communist). Pretty much, this is standard when new products are introduced. This is historically true for ALL Apple products. They get released 4-9 weeks after release in USA/other parts of the world. Is it a big deal? Depends. If you are an Apple fanatic (like me), then the wait will be excruciating. But for many other things, it's really not a big deal.

Living in China is great. There are so many benefits that it's far than BETTER than in the US. I'm in the field of International Business and Trade, so with RESPECT and understanding of the Chinese culture and business practices, I am able to fully to not only reap the financial benefits but also enrich my love for the Chinese way of life. But mostly it's because they are able to make me and many Western companies freight-loads of money.

Ok, back to the Original poster's questions:
(1) Yes, it's STILL NOT available in China. Also in many other Asian countries. Take a look around like Japan, Malaysia, Singapore. Hong Kong was released the day the USA got it. Great for HK. Try living in HK and tell me how easy or extremely difficult it is. I love HK but the no-tax benefit is just that, a benefit.

(2) Your dad goes to HK for business. Ask around. Taking electronics in full packaging OUT of no-tax countries can result in a fine or getting taxed (and delayed, searched, questioned). Try bringing a HP Printer (in box) out of HK into ShenZhen. Yeah, you'll get stopped. If your dad is doing business in HK, you may wanna do your research before getting him in trouble over a few HK dollars. Just fly to HK, go to one of the HK Airport Apple resellers shops and buy it. It will be more expensive, but it's a peace of mind and no one gets "flagged".

Good luck.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Yeah men, no need to bash China. Every which place have their own bureaucracy. Hong Kong though is shopping haven and laze faire government with minimum bureaucracy.

They just don't want u mainlanders buying all their, melamine-free, powder milk, but electronics all u can carry

Not true. You can't carry as many Electronics out of HK to China as you can. You'll get taxed.

Out of box, sure. There are "runners" for that. Then, they repackage the product back into a fresh box and "seal" it and sell it as new in Shen Zhen. Go to the 3rd floor of the ShenZhen electronics mall and you'll find them.

Buying iPhones in China is risky. They'll claim it to be "new" but actually, it's second hand or refurbished. And if you "know" what's up, open up the iPhone and you may find that they replaced cheap China-made batteries or other components for the factory Apple components.

HK is indeed a shopping heaven. But try bringing some of the excess BACK to your home country. That's where customs comes in and depending on how you "CLAIM" your gifts/items, it is up to the laws of your destination that will decide if you can bring so many in. It's like buying 20 cartons of cigarettes. You can. But if you bring those 20 cartons into China, USA, or another destination where you leave customs, then you may get flagged and have those extra 18 cartons confiscated or taxed or fined or whatever.
James717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:27 AM   #24
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by James717 View Post
Wrong. In Apple's case, they really are awaiting pending Government approval.

This is NOT only in China, but in other Asian countries as well (which are far from Communist).
No, you are wrong. Communist, socialist, fill in the blank of any left wing, 'the government must approve everything' form of govt.

It's hilarious that you tell me I am wrong and in the next sentence admit Apple is 'awaiting pending [redundant?] Government approval'.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:33 AM   #25
James717
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
No, you are wrong. Communist, socialist, fill in the blank of any left wing, 'the government must approve everything' form of govt.

It's hilarious that you tell me I am wrong and in the next sentence admit Apple is 'awaiting pending [redundant?] Government approval'.
I just Skyped my colleague in South Korea. Pending gov't approval for the Mac Air 2013.


No, you're not wrong. I just don't agree with your comment that it's a communist thing that China is awaiting release of the Air. It can also be argued that in Democracy, certain elitists or parties control everything. It's really a wash either form of gov't.
James717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA mid 2013 snappier then MBP late 2013 vigorito MacBook Pro 6 May 20, 2014 03:41 AM
Heat - 2010 MBP vs. 2013 MBA vs. 2013 rMBP chorion MacBook Pro 8 Feb 24, 2014 06:12 AM
Do the 2013 MBA and Late 2013 rMBP 13 share the same SSD? SSD-GUY MacBook Pro 16 Jan 20, 2014 03:31 PM
2013 MBA Ultimate vs 2013 15" rMBP Base PoppaKap MacBook Pro 10 Oct 25, 2013 01:10 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC